Why dont i look as much as i weigh?

Options
hello everyone,

Last yr i lost 15 pounds starting at 170 down to 155. I gained all weight back by becoming lazy plus 5 more. The only thing is you really can not tell! Ppl think i weigh around 150! So my question is if it isnt visible where is it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have really nice friends or they are polite.
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you were serious or trying to be sarcastic but its Actually some ppl who i dont know.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I weigh heavy for my size

I just do

Why does it matter?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    To add I'm 5'8, 158lbs and my size 6s are getting too big

Muscles, bones...I carry weight well

Just be happy ..it's not like you have to stand in a scale in front of people is it?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The possibilities are endless.

People carry their weight differently.

Also, a lot of people are terribly at estimating body weights, in part due to the fact that so many people are overweight/obese. When you're used to seeing overweight people on a regular basis, it starts to look more normal.
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've seen people who say they weigh a certain amount and look a lot smaller. People carry weight different ways. For example, 2 women that is the same height, age, and weight may look totally different. One may carry her weight in her hips and thighs. One may carry it all in her belly.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Just be happy ..it's not like you have to stand in a scale in front of people is it?

To add im 5'5 , it really doesnt matter. I wouldnt be trying to lose the weight if i listened to other people judgements. They say i dont need to lose, i believe i do.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    The possibilities are endless.

People carry their weight differently.

Also, a lot of people are terribly at estimating body weights, in part due to the fact that so many people are overweight/obese. When you're used to seeing overweight people on a regular basis, it starts to look more normal.

I think this may be true.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    I've seen people who say they weigh a certain amount and look a lot smaller. People carry weight different ways. For example, 2 women that is the same height, age, and weight may look totally different. One may carry her weight in her hips and thighs. One may carry it all in her belly.

Yes, youre right it also depends on body types. I was just very curious to as where it was going. I noticed that i definitely gained weight in other areas but nothing drastic, although the scale says differently.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Where do you think it is?
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BriTyler3 wrote: »

To add im 5'5 , it really doesnt matter. I wouldnt be trying to lose the weight if i listened to other people judgements. They say i dont need to lose, i believe i do.

This exactly--Its about how you feel! Personally, I am not happy with being 5'1" and 120 pounds. Yeah, I carry it well and wear a size zero and sure I look smaller than someone 10 lbs less than me but its not about how I compare or what others think.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My co-worker weighs about 10 lbs more than me. She looks like she weighs a good 20-30 lbs less than me. Good for her - but it makes me so frustrated!! I'd much rather look smaller than what I weigh than look like I weigh a lot more than I weigh!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Could you simply be kidding yourself as you don't want to try and lose ? ...just saying :blush: we've all tried to ignore gains at some point...
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    BriTyler3 wrote: »

This exactly--Its about how you feel! Personally, I am not happy with being 5'1" and 120 pounds. Yeah, I carry it well and wear a size zero and sure I look smaller than someone 10 lbs less than me but its not about how I compare or what others think.

Right! You have to do what you feel would be best for you.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    Could you simply be kidding yourself as you don't want to try and lose ? ...just saying :blush: we've all tried to ignore gains at some point...

I NEVER said that i did not want to lose. If that were the case i would not be on mfp right now. What i was implying was wondering where the weight was going.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    My co-worker weighs about 10 lbs more than me. She looks like she weighs a good 20-30 lbs less than me. Good for her - but it makes me so frustrated!! I'd much rather look smaller than what I weigh than look like I weigh a lot more than I weigh!!

Yes i agree, because looks are decieving indeed. Especially in my case. i can imagine how small i will look once i reach my goal of 140.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now that I am menopausal my weight is redistributing around my belly. I'm skinnier around the face and arms. You get the point.

I also discovered that sizes have drifted upwards several sizes. A size twelve today would have been marked size sixteen when I was in my thirties. North America is getting rounder and people are poor visual judges.
  • BriTyler3
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Now that I am menopausal my weight is redistributing around my belly. I'm skinnier around the face and arms. You get the point.

I also discovered that sizes have drifted upwards several sizes. A size twelve today would have been marked size sixteen when I was in my thirties. North America is getting rounder and people are poor visual judges.

+1 also think it has to do with the "ideal" body type changing as well.
  • m13a
    m13a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've always been told I look like I weigh a good deal less than I do. Looking at photos of other people on this site with similar stats - without kidding myself at all - I do believe this is true. According to bone measurements, I do just have a larger than average frame and tend to be more muscular than most of the women I know. My pant sizes aren't tiny. I run wide in that department, but I give the appearance of being relatively fit and toned at 5 ft 8" and 160 pounds. I did even at a higher weight and at lower weights I've looked quite gaunt.

So I wouldn't simply chalk this up to having friends who tell white lies or your own psychological desire to not lose weight. If anything, I think most women tend to be quite harsh on themselves about their weight, as I have done in the past. It took me a long while to come to terms with the fact that I don't need to lose boatloads of weight or push myself to weigh what others do to look good. As others have said, people carry weight differently.

Whatever the case, if you're open to a bit of unsolicited advice, do what makes you feel comfortable. If you've found that you're more comfortable at higher weight and feel good about your own body, that's great. If you need to lose some weight for legitimate medical reasons, that's something else but, generally, just do what you feel is right.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    You probably put it back on differently then where is came from in the first place. Maybe it's more distributed now.