Not losing weight and frustrated!

Options

Replies

• tschenk99
    tschenk99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I have no advice what so ever. I just wanted to say at 5' 8" and 153 I think you look fabulous. Your arms, oh my gosh, they are beautiful.

Thanks Barbs. I carry most of my weight in my lower body.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    cups and tbsp can be just as accurate as weighing so long as you make them level.

This has not been my experience 99.99 percent of the time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    cups and tbsp can be just as accurate as weighing so long as you make them level.

This has not been my experience 99.99 percent of the time.

And the studies have shown that even the best of people are significantly off on their measurements by as much as 400 calories. And with only a few lbs to lose, it makes the ability to mess up, even greater. I have found that the smaller I get, the more precise I need to be with my weighing to ensure I lose.

OP, what is your workout routine? I say you workout a lot, because can you define that? Also, do you have any medical conditions?

Side note, most days you get a lot of protein, at your weight, you probably only need 120gs (puts you around 1g per lb of lean body mass). If you are lifting, I would probably reallocate some of those extra calories to carbs.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just dont need to lose the last 8lbs. If you are working out a lot then your weight for your height sounds ideal! I am 5ft 9" and can only dream of being in the 150's rather than the 170's that I am now! I know its my fault for overeating and yes I log everything but the most important lesson I have learned over the past 20 years (Im 46 now) is not to beat yourself up over a few pounds.

It really isn't that important in the greater scheme of things! If I could have my time again I would be much less harsh on myself for being those few pounds 'overweight' when in reality I looked pretty darn good and should have been enjoying life and the exercise I was doing rather than spending it beating myself up for having that bar of chocolate, or a cupcake!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

But my questions is, do you really need ot lose anymore weight. You are probably looking pretty close to perfect as you are now.

That's...not true.

Agreed. Even though I was measuring peanut butter and levelling it off, I was actually eating way more than the serving size grams. Now, that I weigh my peanut butter, I am getting the correct amount per serving. I was sooooooo off!

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I have heard about apple cider vinegar and cucumbers when you are on a plateau.
    Huh? I very much doubt this. Do you have any studies to back this up?

When one is at a plateau, they should reassess their caloric intake and activity level. Actualy, this shoud be done after every 10lb lost.
  • AlmaCopeman
    AlmaCopeman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    tschenk99 wrote: »

Thanks! These are great pointers.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but they aren't.

Weight loss doesn't need to be complicated. It doesn't. You are really close to your goal weight, so it is going to be slow going, but that is good news. It means you are doing it the healthy and right way.

The best advice you got is to get out your food scale and to weigh your food. Then you know much more accurately what you are eating. Losing weight is as simple as managing calories in vs. calories out. I used to think I had to have a set of rules or advice like above, but not this time....and my success at losing weight and now maintaining has been off the charts.

Best of luck to you.

When your body is at a conferrable state with no longer lossing weight you have to try something different to see some sort of success or our minds go crazy and we as humans get frustrated.

I'm not saying what you suggested is not right because it is a good suggestion, everyone's is.

But her body could need some sort of push to see the last bit of weight she wants off to come off.
  • aggrandize2212
    aggrandize2212 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8 153lbs trying to get to 145. I've been on a plateau for almost a year. Please help!

8 lbs isn't too much..if you want to lose it and lose fast try a water based diet. Whatever the case may be, stay focused and you'll get there. It is possible. Add me as a friend. B)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 153lbs trying to get to 145. I've been on a plateau for almost a year. Please help!

8 lbs isn't too much..if you want to lose it and lose fast try a water based diet. Whatever the case may be, stay focused and you'll get there. It is possible. Add me as a friend. B)

What is a "water based diet"?
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight after a couple of months trying, then fasted for three days, lost 5lbs. I'm not saying you should do it, but results are results.

To flag or not to flag. This comes so close to the line. FYI fasting for three days is the extreme VLCD. Promoting Very Low Calorie Diets or in this case a No calories is prohibited in MFP agreement. DO NOT FAST FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME this is hazardous to ones health. Some results are not worth it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any weight after a couple of months trying, then fasted for three days, lost 5lbs. I'm not saying you should do it, but results are results.

that is not fat loss, you lost water weight.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Maybe gauging your loss with a body fat measurement? I weigh the same as I did 2 years ago and lost about 5-6 percent body fat and a pant size. Lifting has helped quite a bit
  • AlmaCopeman
    AlmaCopeman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @AlmaCopeman can you please explain your reasoning for numbers 2 through 5?
    Reasons for 2 through 5
    #2 is for weight loss simple as that calories in vs out
    #3 is tricking your body into thinking that you will be getting more food on the lower cal days when food is not given body will compensate for those extra calories by "eating" fat
    #4 eating more meals in your day/ or eating every 3-4 hours is building your metabolism ie: fast metabolism = weight loss
    #5 doing activity in any sort is awesome and extreamly good for your ticker but Overtraining has been shown to affect blood levels of important neurotransmitters such as glutamine, dopamine and 5-HTP, which can lead to feelings of depression and chronic fatigue. The stress caused by intense, excessive exercise can negatively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, possibly causing conditions such as hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is known to cause depression, weight gain, and digestive disfunction along with a variety of other symptoms. As we know, high stress in general can cause symptoms of hypothyroidism, and the stress caused by excessive, intense exercise is no exception.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You look great! Want to start there...
    Really: great!
    Some people say a Whole30 helps them drop some inflammation/bloat because it is essentially an elimination diet.
    Don't jump all over me people: I know this is a CICO site & im not a traitor. I just think if a draconian 1200 calorie diet for a woman your size isn't doing anything maybe you want to play around instead & see if something in your normal line up of foods is not being processed efficiently.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist and thighs while your in a plateau. You may have gained muscle mass. It weighs more than fat. If you lost dress and pants sizes, your losing body fat.

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    @AlmaCopeman can you please explain your reasoning for numbers 2 through 5?
    Reasons for 2 through 5
    #2 is for weight loss simple as that calories in vs out
    #3 is tricking your body into thinking that you will be getting more food on the lower cal days when food is not given body will compensate for those extra calories by "eating" fat
    #4 eating more meals in your day/ or eating every 3-4 hours is building your metabolism ie: fast metabolism = weight loss
    #5 doing activity in any sort is awesome and extreamly good for your ticker but Overtraining has been shown to affect blood levels of important neurotransmitters such as glutamine, dopamine and 5-HTP, which can lead to feelings of depression and chronic fatigue. The stress caused by intense, excessive exercise can negatively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary axis, possibly causing conditions such as hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is known to cause depression, weight gain, and digestive disfunction along with a variety of other symptoms. As we know, high stress in general can cause symptoms of hypothyroidism, and the stress caused by excessive, intense exercise is no exception.

I have NEVER in my years of researching hypothyroidism, a condition i suffer from, heard of excessive exercise or stress causing it, what a load of rubbish!

High stress causing symptoms of hypthyroidism? Snorts! The main syptoms of hypothyroidism are weight gain (you are correct) extreme tiredness and brain fog (as us hypos like to call it) i.e. An inability to think clearly. This can then be combined loosely with a whole load of other symptoms such as dry skin, hair loss, digestive issues(again as you mentioned but by no means a clear cut symptom for all hypo's), vitamin deficiencies, neurological symptoms, some hypo's have unexplained weight loss, slow growing and or brittle nails and many many more.

Not all hypo's suffer the same symptoms and a lot of the symptoms can also be attributed to many other conditions such as pernicious anaemia, iron deficiency, insomnia, adrenal problems, menopause,life events such as being a new mom (really lack of sleep) to name a few so your focus on overexercise /stress and hypothyroidism is a tenuous correlation at best.

Sorry OP rant over, you've received some great advice on tightening up your logging and using the scales for measuring i would go with that if I were you.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    sinbadfxdl wrote: »
    Measure your waist and thighs while your in a plateau. You may have gained muscle mass. It weighs more than fat. If you lost dress and pants sizes, your losing body fat.

Op, you will not gain muscle while eating at a deficit. I do agree to take measurements , as you could be losing inches and sometimes water weight can mask that
  • sinbadfxdl
    Options
    sinbadfxdl wrote: »

Op, you will not gain muscle while eating at a deficit. I do agree to take measurements , as you could be losing inches and sometimes water weight can mask that

I guess you may be right, I am getting stronger so that accounts for something. I went from 20 pushups a day to 60 and 0 knee bends to 50 every three days. I suggest to stay away from knee bends unless you like to be extreemly sore. Havnt lost a pound in two weeks, but lost 2 inches on my belly and lost most of my initial water weight. Explain how increasing strength may have nothing to do with muscle mass please.
  • sinbadfxdl
    Options
    The issue may be where did the water weight displacement change to. I believe that it went in the muscles for muscle repair. That is why they say to measure yourself by the waist and thighs. When working out, muscles need water as a medium for nutrient transper to repair. So water weight left the fat stores and then when doing intense workouts , water weight was absorbrd into the muscles to repair damaged fibers. That is what I meant by muscle mass. There are companies that sell stuff like hydroxy cut that forces water from the muscles, but I don't like doing things unnatural.