Czech Study says eating two large meals better than 6 small

Options
2»

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 and I am surprised that it work. I would have thought there blood sugar would spike after each large meal. I am presuming theirs stayed stable in between.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 8:16 IF for maintenance and have been eating a 2 meal/no snack format for a couple months now. I break my fast at 11am with my biggest meal of the day (1,000 + calories) and then have a slightly smaller meal at around 6pm. For me it works great and I've been able to maintain without tracking or counting anything :) And I'm never hungry-go to bed at night feeling great and wake up in the morning the same.

If you like eating more frequently then go for it, but for some of us a 1-2 meal format is a better fit.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 and I am surprised that it work. I would have thought there blood sugar would spike after each large meal. I am presuming theirs stayed stable in between.
    Short bouts of fasting keep glucose levels more stable. Frequent feeding = frequent glucose spikes.
  • cmstraut
    cmstraut Posts: 15
    Options
    My opinion is this: Eat what you want, when you want, however many times a day you want. ....... as long as it is within your calorie limits... and you should be successful. :)

That said... I've noticed better weight loss when I'm NOT focused on eating 6 small meals per day. I just eat when I'm hungry. If that means only having breakfast, lunch, dinner, with no snacks in between, so be it. I listen to my body, and its been working. :)

Best advice I could give to anyone!

Studies are based on an average and not everyone is average. We all have different bodies. You should do whatever works for you and remember that any change for your body should be slow so your body can adjust.

The idea of eating 4-6 times a day were for 2 types of ppl, those that ate too much at each meal 3x a day, and those that forgot to each during the day. My mom does great on this plan b/c she is diabetic and frequently forgets to eat. This helps her regulate her sugar and loose weight. She is more conscious of what she eats, which also helps.

My husband and I plan out 3 meals and a snack (or two) for everyday. When I eat them, depends on when we're hungry. If breakfast doesn't hold us till lunch, then I eat lunch early. Just listen to your body and do what works for you.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Basically been eating this way for some time now and have been able to sustain the physique I have for years.

Me too, it was just an overweight one :laugh:

I eat when I am genuinely hungry now, sometimes that's twice a day, sometimes it's eight times a day. It's more about what I eat than when I eat it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Without searching for and reading the actual study, it seems like evidence that meal timing is irrelevant except for personal satiety.

The 'average' weight loss was higher in the 2 meal group. This would suggest that it was not higher for everyone in that group. Combine that with other studies where the average loss was higher in the groups eating 5-6 small meals and it seems evidence of little other than personal preference is what matters most.