Blue Jeans Guide for Dummies

Options
Bshmerlie
Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I’ve been shopping in the plus size stores for about 15 years now. So as time has passed so have the styles of a pair of jeans. For the older folks out there, if you think you’re going to find some Jordache jeans or Bonjour jeans it’s just not going to happen. (“Travis you’re a year too late”).  Yes, I know…I’m dating myself.

Be warned the skinny people really don’t want you shopping at their stores. Most clothing stores at the mall stop at size 11 which is really weird considering the plus-size stores don’t go below a size 14-womens which are larger than 14 regular. So if you’re stuck in those middle sizes expect to have a difficult time.

Over the years they have come up with some new styles and it took my 13 year old daughter to explain them all to me.

1. Jean legging- These jeans are a stretchy material which feel like they are practically painted on and for those still losing weight and in that awkward blubbery phase….not a good look. Avoid them at all costs. If you are one of those fat people who wear skin tight clothes….uhhh…never mind. 
2. Skinny Jeans- These jeans are your typical jean material with a tapered leg. If you still have some pretty large calves you’re not going to be getting them past your ankles.
3. Super Skinny Jeans- Because if skinny jeans were not slim enough they can even go super skinny. I don’t think an actual real person can fit into these jeans. I personally think they were designed for Barbie. They are barely big enough for someone’s forearms. 
4. Girlfriend jeans- There’s hope for us yet…maybe. These are a high waisted relaxed fit jeans. They are form fitted around the butt, thighs and legs. The only problem is, if you are still carrying around some belly fat the high waist might make it a little difficult to button up even if they fit great everywhere else.
5. Boyfriend Jeans- These are a low waist relaxed fit jeans. They are the same as the girlfriend jeans but with a low rise waist. These were the best jeans for me as I’m in the “deflated balloon with toothpick legs” phase.
6. Boot cut- For those of you with larger calves these might be the right jeans for you. They call them boot cut because they didn’t think “fat calve cut” sounded appropriate. 
7. Flare cut- These jeans are stolen right out of the 70’s. I’m not sure who could make them look good…besides the fact that you would have to be super tall. Looking for a good laugh? Hold up a pair of these. You’ll find plenty of them in the clearance section.

If you are wondering just how much weight you need to lose before you can get out of the Fat Stores. I’m 195 pounds and 5’5” tall. I’m sure everyone is going to be different depending upon how they carry their weight. What weight were you when you finally got out of the Plus-size stores? And what were some of your difficulties shopping for nice fitting pants?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    What cracks me up that at almost 5'7", I have to buy Lane Bryant's Petite jeans in order to get a pair that isn't too long.

I'm now a 0X in some Kohl's tops.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I haven't really had a difficult time shopping for jeans once I got out of plus sizes. I literally did not shop for jeans until I was around a size 12, 180ish pounds--mainly so I wouldn't depress myself. I now shop in the juniors section for all pairs of jeans--low cut skinnies, curvy skinnies, and low rise boot cut. I'm 5'3 and 156 pounds and wear a size 9/11 in juniors. I feel like for us shorter girls it's harder to find jeans that fit right, so I was pleasantly surprised at how great the juniors sizes fit.

Great question, by the way! I'm interested to see what others have to say. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    OP I am the same height as you and one of the most annoying problems that I have is trying to find jeans that are long enough in the torso. I have found that the jeans at Torrid fit great for me, but with them being a plus size store I won't be fitting in them for long (I'm a size 12 and that is their smallest size).
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Jeans are the bane of my existence. I'm 5'2, 187lbs and most of my weight is in my belly. I'm triangular and short. I gave up on jeans a long time ago. They are either tight around my belly and give me muffin top or too loose and fall off. My butt is saggy in them and they're too long on me. My goal is not to see the scale go down. It's to be able to nicely fit into a pair of jeans.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    My main issue is that at 5f 0 I'm short waisted and with 12 inches between waist and hip which means that I have to alter all my oats due to gappy waistbands. Luckily it seems to be a common problem and there are loads of tutorials on the net for this. You would think big business would've caught onto this by now.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    LOL, I absolutely loved this run-down! One correction: Those stores that only go up to size 11 are probably juniors, not regular women's. Which means their sizes are more geared for your 13-year-old daughter. There are stores in between.

Many jeans are still sold by waist size. Note that this is not the circumference of the waistband (since low waist jeans will be bigger around to fit at the high hip) but is roughly equivalent to the measurement of your natural waist. My waist is now down to 27", and I'm wearing -- surprise, surprise -- size 27 jeans.

Another thing: Length has gotten longer. "Regular" length used to be 32 inseam, and I used to be able to buy jeans for my 5'1" legs in a 30 length, which required only a small amount of shortening -- or maybe none at all if I wore them with heels. Now the jean shops seem to carry 34 and 36 length jeans mostly, with some 32s but that's it. 30s are still available if you buy petites (i.e. at the Gap) or if you shop online at some US retailers. But beyond that, you need to hem them, so be careful with flared or boot-cut jeans if you need to chop a significant amount of length off.

Jeans have gotten more expensive, too. Just saying.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    #6 cracks me up!
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    NYDJ (Not Your Daughter's Jeans) is a great brand to try. They come in all of the styles except "mom jeans"
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    NYDJ for sure! I'm 5'5" and was able to comfortably get into my old 16's at about 210. Nordstrom & Macy's will also do hemming if you need
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Most clothing stores at the mall stop at size 11 which is really weird considering the plus-size stores don’t go below a size 14-womens which are larger than 14 regular. So if you’re stuck in those middle sizes expect to have a difficult time.

Shop at the stores for grown ups and this will not be a problem.

I don't find jeans at all mystifying and will wear them as tight as I like, thank you.

I'm almost 5'11" and wear short jeans. So glad that this option is around now. I think that jeans are simpler and easier now than they have ever been in my lifetime. Having options is a GOOD thing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ugh, jean shopping. My biggest problem lately is unflattering pocket placement.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Jeans shopping used to be problematic for me, until I discovered Juniors sizes. I am 5'10, but I am not the pear shape so many women are. My hips are relatively slim...I carry the extra weight in the upper body and around the waist. If I buy regular jeans, I have to wear them very tight so there isn't extra material in the butt/hips area. However, that means they cause major muffin top because they are too small for my waist.

Juniors are designed for slimmer hips, so they fit perfectly for me. I'm 166 now, and a size 6 in most jeans.

I love boot cuts...not because I have big calves, but because they are just a flattering shape...they make me look even taller and longer legged than I am. I occasionally even wear flare jeans, but I agree short people don't look good in them. I do now also have skinny jeans, which I mainly wear with knee high boots...I don't like how they look with flats. I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    There's a great store here in Montreal where they have all the different jean brands at wholesale prices. It's enormous, warehouse-like, and they will shoo you into a dressing room with a dozen different pairs of jeans and then tell you to come out and turn around and say things like "no, those give you saggy butt, NEXT!" and have someone throw a pair across the room. They'll narrow it down to brands, styles and sizes, and then hem the winning pair or pairs for you within 5 minutes. See if there's a place like that in your area.

Since I'm short and pear-shaped, I avoid fading and whiskering on the thighs, and opt for solid dark wash in a straight or light boot cut. Boot cut isn't just for big calves; it's great to balance out larger hips. Avoid tapered jeans, rolled cuffs, or very light denim if you are apple- or pear-shaped and petite; it's just a bad look. These days I can get away with skinny jeans too, as long as I wear them with the right boots and tops. As for boyfriend jeans, I find they are horribly unflattering on me because I'm so petite. Too bad, 'cause they look comfy.

Brands... I find that Mavis work well for me on my frame now, which is strange 'cause I hadn't worn them since university, but I'm back wearing some of the same styles I wore back then. While I was a bit larger, I liked the Gap / Banana Republic jeans, but they've changed them all and they're horrible now and I find they all gape out in the back. (I used to like their "curvy' fit but they've stopped making those). I know some people swear by Not Your Daughter's Jeans. Another is Second Yoga Jeans, which don't actually work well for my shape but are super comfy on others. Some of the more expensive brands, like 7 For All Mankind, can be flattering too, if you get a good deal on a sale.

Most important thing: Try on a lot of different jeans, get someone to give you an honest opinion. And above all, avoid camel toe!
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Gap is a regular store that does a great job of offering larger sizes - they go up to size 18 and usually have a good selection in those higher ranges. I weigh around 212 and wear a size 16 - have been wearing them since I was about 220 though it was borderline getting them on at that point. But they're jeans are nice because they've got some nice stretch to them and are comfy. REALLY looking forward to fitting into 14's.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.

Oh they are relaxed fit but I didn't say there was any extra material. :) I still have a long way to go. But the relaxed fit means my deflated body fills it out rather nicely. Yes someday I hope to get into the skinny jeans as that is the type I use to wear in my younger days but I'm not sure my 46 year old body is going to ever be able to make them look flattering. Only time will tell.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Jeans shopping used to be problematic for me, until I discovered Juniors sizes. I am 5'10, but I am not the pear shape so many women are. My hips are relatively slim...I carry the extra weight in the upper body and around the waist. If I buy regular jeans, I have to wear them very tight so there isn't extra material in the butt/hips area. However, that means they cause major muffin top because they are too small for my waist.

Juniors are designed for slimmer hips, so they fit perfectly for me. I'm 166 now, and a size 6 in most jeans.

I love boot cuts...not because I have big calves, but because they are just a flattering shape...they make me look even taller and longer legged than I am. I occasionally even wear flare jeans, but I agree short people don't look good in them. I do now also have skinny jeans, which I mainly wear with knee high boots...I don't like how they look with flats. I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.

Me too. Jr jeans just fit me better and I also like boot cut. If your looking for a flattering fit try Silver jeans. I love the style and fit. They are numbered instead of sized.

A nice bonus is they manufacturer this brand in plus sizes too.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.

Oh they are relaxed fit but I didn't say there was any extra material. :) I still have a long way to go. But the relaxed fit means my deflated body fills it out rather nicely. Yes someday I hope to get into the skinny jeans as that is the type I use to wear in my younger days but I'm not sure my 46 year old body is going to ever be able to make them look flattering. Only time will tell.

You'll get there! Especially since you used to wear them, you know you have the body type that can make them work. You just need a little time to get back to it. I'm 44...and still a few pounds away from goal. So age won't really be a problem for you. You'll be wearing the skinny jeans before you know it.

One more tip while you're losing...I shopped a lot at places like TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, etc. These places have MANY brands of jeans, and they are cheap. You can try on a couple dozen pairs and find what style works best for you. And they are very cheap...so when you lose a little more weight and your jeans don't look as good, it is not a big investment to go buy a new smaller pair.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I feel very, very lucky I found that the Old Navy sweetheart jeans for curvy women work great for my figure type. They have vanity sizing (honestly, I was wearing a 12 in their skinny jeans when I was 175 pounds!), but they fit my 12 inches smaller waist perfectly without any gaps.

I last went jeans shopping in the spring (when I bought that pair of skinny jeans), and I could be six months pregnant in those clothes now with the additional weight I've lost. I have no idea what size I am now. I'm trying to hold out as long as the weather stays above 60 with some leggings until I get some new jeans.

I think I'm going to go for boot cut to see if they make my legs look longer.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

Me too. Jr jeans just fit me better and I also like boot cut. If your looking for a flattering fit try Silver jeans. I love the style and fit. They are numbered instead of sized.

A nice bonus is they manufacturer this brand in plus sizes too.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for Silver next time I buy jeans.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    There's a great store here in Montreal where they have all the different jean brands at wholesale prices. It's enormous, warehouse-like, and they will shoo you into a dressing room with a dozen different pairs of jeans and then tell you to come out and turn around and say things like "no, those give you saggy butt, NEXT!" and have someone throw a pair across the room. They'll narrow it down to brands, styles and sizes, and then hem the winning pair or pairs for you within 5 minutes. See if there's a place like that in your area.

Since I'm short and pear-shaped, I avoid fading and whiskering on the thighs, and opt for solid dark wash in a straight or light boot cut. Boot cut isn't just for big calves; it's great to balance out larger hips. Avoid tapered jeans, rolled cuffs, or very light denim if you are apple- or pear-shaped and petite; it's just a bad look. These days I can get away with skinny jeans too, as long as I wear them with the right boots and tops. As for boyfriend jeans, I find they are horribly unflattering on me because I'm so petite. Too bad, 'cause they look comfy.

Brands... I find that Mavis work well for me on my frame now, which is strange 'cause I hadn't worn them since university, but I'm back wearing some of the same styles I wore back then. While I was a bit larger, I liked the Gap / Banana Republic jeans, but they've changed them all and they're horrible now and I find they all gape out in the back. (I used to like their "curvy' fit but they've stopped making those). I know some people swear by Not Your Daughter's Jeans. Another is Second Yoga Jeans, which don't actually work well for my shape but are super comfy on others. Some of the more expensive brands, like 7 For All Mankind, can be flattering too, if you get a good deal on a sale.

Most important thing: Try on a lot of different jeans, get someone to give you an honest opinion. And above all, avoid camel toe!

What's the name of the store? I'd like to check it out...love the fact that they hem while you wait (I'm 5'4").
    Thank you :)