Blue Jeans Guide for Dummies

Options

Replies

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    this is hilarious. I've always had issues with jeans because I'm so short, only 5' 1''. I was so happy to see that it's cool again to cuff your jeans.

I just bought a pair of petite Eddie Bauer boyfriend jeans that come precuffed and they fit great.

I admit, I do miss my jordache and bonjour jeans from the 80's :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    What's the name of the store? I'd like to check it out...love the fact that they hem while you wait (I'm 5'4").
    Thank you :)

Jeans Jeans Jeans, on Casgrain just below Rosemont. http://www.jeansjeansjeans.ca/
    (Fair warning: Saturdays are usually packed. Try to go on a weekday if you can.)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ugh, jean shopping. My biggest problem lately is unflattering pocket placement.

Your jeans have pockets?
    what-sorcery-is-this.jpg
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you are nostalgic for Jordach...they are back!
    http://www.jordache.com

2ugr1tvlggdc.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    LOL, I absolutely loved this run-down! One correction: Those stores that only go up to size 11 are probably juniors, not regular women's. Which means their sizes are more geared for your 13-year-old daughter. There are stores in between.

Many jeans are still sold by waist size. Note that this is not the circumference of the waistband (since low waist jeans will be bigger around to fit at the high hip) but is roughly equivalent to the measurement of your natural waist. My waist is now down to 27", and I'm wearing -- surprise, surprise -- size 27 jeans.

Jeans have gotten more expensive, too. Just saying.

All of this. I buy my jeans by waist size. They are usually around 200 dollars, though I try to get them at stores like Century 21 for less if I can.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    LOL, I absolutely loved this run-down! One correction: Those stores that only go up to size 11 are probably juniors, not regular women's. Which means their sizes are more geared for your 13-year-old daughter. There are stores in between.

Many jeans are still sold by waist size. Note that this is not the circumference of the waistband (since low waist jeans will be bigger around to fit at the high hip) but is roughly equivalent to the measurement of your natural waist. My waist is now down to 27", and I'm wearing -- surprise, surprise -- size 27 jeans.

All of this. I buy my jeans by waist size. They are usually around 200 dollars, though I try to get them at stores like Century 21 for less if I can.

Sorry but I paid $125 for my pair of Jordache back in 1986. And I must say I rocked them. :) Of course I was 16 and probably 110 pounds soaking wet. But I did look good in my Vans shoes, my Jordache jean's and my Members Only jacket. :)
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    6. Boot cut- For those of you with larger calves these might be the right jeans for you. They call them boot cut because they didn’t think “fat calve cut” sounded appropriate.

To be fair, boot cut are actually cut for boots. If you've ever worn cowboy boots, to make jeans sit right, you either need the hem flared, or need to cut a wedge out. Standard jeans kinda bunch up a bit. Not a big deal, but the boot cut jeans look nicer, and give more room for the boot.

That said, I have muscular legs, and my calves tend to fill out boot cut jeans. Still easier to wear with boots than regular jeans.
  • arditarose
    Options

Sorry but I paid $125 for my pair of Jordache back in 1986. And I must say I rocked them. :) Of course I was 16 and probably 110 pounds soaking wet. But I did look good in my Vans shoes, my Jordache jean's and my Members Only jacket. :)

Those were hot.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ^^Also...why "sorry"?
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    What's the name of the store? I'd like to check it out...love the fact that they hem while you wait (I'm 5'4").
    Thank you :)

Jeans Jeans Jeans, on Casgrain just below Rosemont. http://www.jeansjeansjeans.ca/
    (Fair warning: Saturdays are usually packed. Try to go on a weekday if you can.)

Thank you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ugh, jean shopping. My biggest problem lately is unflattering pocket placement.

Your jeans have pockets?
    what-sorcery-is-this.jpg

Ha! Trust me, they are not good looking pockets. I tried on a pair of regular straight leg jeans--not skinny jeans or boot cut and they were even the perfect length without needing to be hemmed or worn with heels. They were comfortable and looked good from the front. Then I looked at the back side and the pockets were so low that they touched the top of my hamstrings rather than being higher up on my rear.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I only buy flare legged jeans.
    I would buy bell bottoms if I could find them.
    I'm 5'7" and have pretty long legs.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If anyone can recommend a good brand for women who do a fair amount of lower body work, I'd be grateful. I'm in decent enough shape, but because I squat, etc, most jeans that fit my thighs are about 4" too big in the waist. I've had some pretty good luck with Big Star brand jeans from Buckle, but that's about it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    If anyone can recommend a good brand for women who do a fair amount of lower body work, I'd be grateful. I'm in decent enough shape, but because I squat, etc, most jeans that fit my thighs are about 4" too big in the waist. I've had some pretty good luck with Big Star brand jeans from Buckle, but that's about it.

I really like some of the Paige jeans with the softer/stretchy fabrics. I was wearing them when I had like a 29 inch waist and 43ish inch hips and 25 inch thighs.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Suki Silver's are one that I like as well as the Maurice's kaylee fit. I have the small waist big hips and these don't give much of a gap at the waist like most others give me.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    2. Skinny Jeans- These jeans are your typical jean material with a tapered leg. If you still have some pretty large calves you’re not going to be getting them past your ankles.
    3. Super Skinny Jeans- Because if skinny jeans were not slim enough they can even go super skinny. I don’t think an actual real person can fit into these jeans. I personally think they were designed for Barbie. They are barely big enough for someone’s forearms. 

The thing I love about super/normal skinny jeans is that if you want a close fit around the calf/ankle but have wider hips/more fat/whatever, you can go up a size to fit that area but not be swimming in fabric around your calves/ankles/feet.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options

I really like some of the Paige jeans with the softer/stretchy fabrics. I was wearing them when I had like a 29 inch waist and 43ish inch hips and 25 inch thighs.

Thanks!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I'm missing is the pocket size. My large size clothes had big huge pockets. My smaller clothes skimpy pockets.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Pockets? What pockets? What clothing marketed to females has pockets? Are these pockets sized to fit more than a stick of lip balm? I so understand why brides get excited over wedding gowns with pockets.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If you are in between plus sizes (12-14) but still want a great pair of non-stretch jeans I suggest Guess jeans. They are thinner in the legs, the waist/butt area runs big and sits flat on the hips/front. Kind of expensive, but they last.

Democracy jeans fit the same way but stretchy, I buy mine at Carsons.
    I only buy flare legged jeans.
    I would buy bell bottoms if I could find them.
    I'm 5'7" and have pretty long legs.

Charlotte Russe has flares that are bell bottom looking charlotterusse.com/thumbnail/Jean-Shop/Flare-Jeans/pc/3476/2642.uts