Blue Jeans Guide for Dummies

Options
13»

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My main issue is that at 5f 0 I'm short waisted and with 12 inches between waist and hip which means that I have to alter all my oats due to gappy waistbands. Luckily it seems to be a common problem and there are loads of tutorials on the net for this. You would think big business would've caught onto this by now.

I'm 4'11" with pretty much no waist and find the boyfriend cut the best on me :-). I do have to sometimes sew parts here and there to get a perfect fit though.

Jeans are OUT and revoltingly ugly baggy pants with hideous patterns seem to be In here in New Zealand right now. YUCK! Like this, but I have seen baggier:

24ccj01.jpg

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Right now I have a natural break in my fat just below my belly button which holds up my pants. What happens when I lose that? They're just going to fall down my skinny tooth pick legs. :neutral:
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    This list is awesome. Thanks for summing up all my troubles in one post, OP!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    After I lost my weight I had to buy jeans, dropped from a 16 to an 8 so the old ones definitely did not fit! I threw myself on the mercy of the staff at Lucky Brand, and I am thrilled with them. Their sizes run big too, if you need an ego boost :D

I went with the Brooke skinny cut fyi, and price was great, since they had on a big xmas sale, I think I paid around $70
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Pockets? What pockets? What clothing marketed to females has pockets? Are these pockets sized to fit more than a stick of lip balm? I so understand why brides get excited over wedding gowns with pockets.

This is why I love cargo pants, and will buy men's if the women's skimp on the pockets. But I haven't figured out if the looks I get signify that I'm too cute for words, or that people think I'm leading an invasion force!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think jeans are one article of clothing that just takes a lot of time to find a good fit. That being said, I believe just about anyone can find a good pair if they have patience and try on a lot of pairs. I've always been a pear shaped girl, but I've managed to find some really cute jeans that fit my figure (anywhere from size 10 to 14). One of my favorites was the Gap curvy-low rise. Sadly, they no longer make them the same so I resort to shopping for them on ebay. I also found some super cute curvy-fit skinny jeans at Target. I bought 3 pairs in different colors because I figured they would also be discontinued, and they have. I agree that boot-cut can be very flattering as long as they fit and there's no gap in the waistband.

Jeggings (jean leggings) - cute as long as your top is long enough to cover your bum. Otherwise, yikes!!!

Saying again - it's a patience thing. Frankly, I'd much rather shop for jeans than bathing suits!!!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    My main issue is that at 5f 0 I'm short waisted and with 12 inches between waist and hip which means that I have to alter all my oats due to gappy waistbands. Luckily it seems to be a common problem and there are loads of tutorials on the net for this. You would think big business would've caught onto this by now.

I'm 4'11" with pretty much no waist and find the boyfriend cut the best on me :-). I do have to sometimes sew parts here and there to get a perfect fit though.

Jeans are OUT and revoltingly ugly baggy pants with hideous patterns seem to be In here in New Zealand right now. YUCK! Like this, but I have seen baggier:

24ccj01.jpg

I saw a lot of these on the clearance rack at the mall today. Another 80's trend that will be here and gone in a flash(dance)!
    Jeans will live forever!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've always considered juniors to be the odd sized numbers (7, 9, 11). Women's is usually even numbered (6,8,12).

I tend to go for juniour because I like the lower waist. Probably from growing up with men's 501's tapered down the side. LOL
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Jeans shopping used to be problematic for me, until I discovered Juniors sizes. I am 5'10, but I am not the pear shape so many women are. My hips are relatively slim...I carry the extra weight in the upper body and around the waist. If I buy regular jeans, I have to wear them very tight so there isn't extra material in the butt/hips area. However, that means they cause major muffin top because they are too small for my waist.

Juniors are designed for slimmer hips, so they fit perfectly for me. I'm 166 now, and a size 6 in most jeans.

I love boot cuts...not because I have big calves, but because they are just a flattering shape...they make me look even taller and longer legged than I am. I occasionally even wear flare jeans, but I agree short people don't look good in them. I do now also have skinny jeans, which I mainly wear with knee high boots...I don't like how they look with flats. I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Jeans shopping used to be problematic for me, until I discovered Juniors sizes. I am 5'10, but I am not the pear shape so many women are. My hips are relatively slim...I carry the extra weight in the upper body and around the waist. If I buy regular jeans, I have to wear them very tight so there isn't extra material in the butt/hips area. However, that means they cause major muffin top because they are too small for my waist.

Juniors are designed for slimmer hips, so they fit perfectly for me. I'm 166 now, and a size 6 in most jeans.

I love boot cuts...not because I have big calves, but because they are just a flattering shape...they make me look even taller and longer legged than I am. I occasionally even wear flare jeans, but I agree short people don't look good in them. I do now also have skinny jeans, which I mainly wear with knee high boots...I don't like how they look with flats. I never wear any of the relaxed fit type things...I really believe extra material just is not flattering on most people...at least not on me.

Me too. Jr jeans just fit me better and I also like boot cut. If your looking for a flattering fit try Silver jeans. I love the style and fit. They are numbered instead of sized.

A nice bonus is they manufacturer this brand in plus sizes too.

Ah! Love my Silver jeans. They are flattering and have some stretch too.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

Saying again - it's a patience thing. Frankly, I'd much rather shop for jeans than bathing suits!!!!
    Ok everyone next June please be here for the Bathing suit Guide for Dummies. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Ok everyone next June please be here for the Bathing suit Guide for Dummies. :)

Oh no! Bathing suit shopping is traumatizing. Probably why I haven't bought a new swimsuit in over a decade.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'll have to say that one of the motivating factors that keeps me in maintenance is my pair of 7 for All Mankind skinny jeans. They are stretchy and look great with ballet flats and boots. I hope they never go out of style.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'll have to say that one of the motivating factors that keeps me in maintenance is my pair of 7 for All Mankind skinny jeans. They are stretchy and look great with ballet flats and boots. I hope they never go out of style.

I was thinking this the other day. I don't think they will.