You favourite DIY home gym equipment?!

Options
13»

Replies

• 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hey Nakedraygun......love the dog in the pictures. Sometimes when I'm walking mine, I call it resistance training as I either am pulling them or they are pulling me!
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a strange living room that steps down I big step. I use till hate it but now it's like a built in step up. I love doing this while the TV is on for a few extra calories burned.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!

A couple years ago I made 2 weighted body bars (one 20 lbs the other 50 lbs) out of sand and PVC tubing. That came in handy when I needed heavier weights and was slowly building up my home gym.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Nothing fancy for me. Nice elliptical, basic bench, lots of free weight, ab ball, ab roller, chin up bar.

n3wq44eylrbk.jpg

I recently purchased a chin up assist strap, which has helped me work out the back at home. I am very very close to not needing it any more but I find if I want to do 4 or 5 sets of chin-ups of assorted grip lengths it has allowed me to use proper form and to concentrate on the full range of motion.

You made all that stuff? Including the elliptical? Great craftsmanship!

He also drew by hand and painted those iconic images of Ali and Jordan. He is a renaissance man.

Oh my. I really should read the title of the thread next time. I thought we were sharing pics of our 'man caves'. DOH!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Great ideas!

A couple years ago I made 2 weighted body bars (one 20 lbs the other 50 lbs) out of sand and PVC tubing. That came in handy when I needed heavier weights and was slowly building up my home gym.

Love to see these.

I have this idea percolating in the back of my mind on how to build some of the components from PVC for a GHD.
    Options
    2bassets wrote: »
    Hey Nakedraygun......love the dog in the pictures. Sometimes when I'm walking mine, I call it resistance training as I either am pulling them or they are pulling me!
    Thanks! I'm presently working on leash training with her. She's a very submissive puppy which is a great foundation to begin from.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to move to my mums for a week a so while the house I am buying all goes through. It will hamper my Insanity programme, but I will still workout while I am there. For that reason my military strap for suspension training will come in really handy! :smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!

Love to see these.

I have this idea percolating in the back of my mind on how to build some of the components from PVC for a GHD.

Definitely post em up. I've been pondering building a GHR too. They are pretty simple really, no moving parts (other than an adjustable ankle brace).
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Great ideas!

Love to see these.

Definitely post em up. I've been pondering building a GHR too. They are pretty simple really, no moving parts (other than an adjustable ankle brace).

I definitely will, but first I need to find some time to finish that prowler I am building.

In regards to the GHD you are planning to build @DopeItUp , have you put any ideas to paper? I've not, but I've run around Hope Depot taking pictures of parts I think I will need and looking again on CraigsList for another old multi-bench with a leg curl attachment and supports to build the structure from, unless I build it completely out wood -- but I want the structure as sturdy and light-weight as possible and yes there are aesthetics.
  • Exercisewoman
    Exercisewoman Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My favourite is the hula hoop. I've used it for a year now and it's so easy to pick up when your feeling too tired to work out on anything else. I also bought a spinning bike which is in front of the TV. This way it gets used. Also I have a boxing bag and mitts which is great to use to relieve stress. I recently bought a weights bench and bar to go along with my set of dumbells. I used to train at gym 5 times a week but don't have the time to go now. Investing in so much kit is really worth it.
  • DopeItUp
    Options
    Great ideas!

Love to see these.

I definitely will, but first I need to find some time to finish that prowler I am building.

In regards to the GHD you are planning to build @DopeItUp , have you put any ideas to paper? I've not, but I've run around Hope Depot taking pictures of parts I think I will need and looking again on CraigsList for another old multi-bench with a leg curl attachment and supports to build the structure from, unless I build it completely out wood -- but I want the structure as sturdy and light-weight as possible and yes there are aesthetics.

Ehhh, my biggest problem is lack of space. So I was thinking of building something that would bolt to an upright (or two) of my cage, like so:

ete_ghdattachment.jpg

Or something between the uprights like this:

xx6747-lg.jpg

(this is a reverse hyper but you get the idea)

But meh, it would need to be removable and I don't really have a place to put it when it's removed so I haven't actually done anything yet. I might knock down part of my basement workshop (that I never use, since 90% of my tools are in the garage) and put some stuff in there, like a cable crossover and a GHR.
  • socalgardengal
    socalgardengal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Heavy blankets or sheets for battle ropes.I also use the wood dining room chair(35 lbs) for ab twist, crate for a step
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Heavy blankets or sheets for battle ropes.I also use the wood dining room chair(35 lbs) for ab twist, crate for a step

I was battling a garden hose the other day and thought about about a DIY battle ropes article I read. Fire department hoses! They seem like they would be too heavy for me, but anyone interested may ask your local FD for any used hoses.
  • DopeItUp
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hacked together a Safety Squat Bar today since I didn't feel like spending $400 on a good one. This is a decades-old York bar that I cut up and added 3"x3/8" flat bar to the ends to camber the bar about 6". The handles are 1.125" round bar with grip tape for handles. The padding is just roll cage padding. Might be a little too thin, I may have to scrounge up an old pool noodle or something if it's not sufficient. We'll see.

rafvw640ye98.jpg

About $65 investment overall, plus a couple hours of time. Didn't even bother painting it or anything, meh.