Processed foods

Replies

• tcm2003
    tcm2003 Posts: 30 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    frozen foods do not cause weight gain, eating in a calorie deficit does.

you can eat frozen foods, be in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. It all boils down to CICO for straight weight loss.

Ok I guess it's like even tho its frozen just pay attention the calories and such like regular food
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited October 2015
    tcm2003 wrote: »
    new answer since you know how to cook:
    buy salad and keep it in the fridge.
    eat one for lunch before you start going for the "kid foods".
    the secret to the this place is that you plan your foods - plan your foods !
    if you do not have a food scale get one
    lunch sounds like a great time to eat what you want and make

I've actually never heard of a food scale that sounds like a good idea and I really live a good salad my thing is when u buy the mix out of the grocery store it will go bad within days

The food scale will change everything...if you can buy the salad ingredients separately, and not in a kit, they will all last much longer, and you will get better quality vegetables (so your salad will taste way better)...chop your lettuce and veg ahead of time and put into Tupperware or mason jars so they are easy to grab....tomatoes, cukes, onions, peppers, broccoli, edameme....so many things you can add...boil 6 eggs at the beginning of the week, and add one to your salads every day....You can also bake/broil/grill 4 or 6 chicken thighs at the same time, and put one into each salad each day as well. Calorie count stays low, and you're not filling your body with all that crazy sodium and fillers that the frozen prepared dinners seem to have. Good luck to you, it can be hard, but it can also be easy too. Its definitely true that the secret to weightloss is calories in/calories out...but WHAT you put in can also hinder or help that process....That said, there is nothing wrong with grabbing something quick and easy every now and then...we all have days that are hectic and need a break......Much love xo
  • tcm2003
    new answer since you know how to cook:
    buy salad and keep it in the fridge.
    eat one for lunch before you start going for the "kid foods".
    the secret to the this place is that you plan your foods - plan your foods !
    if you do not have a food scale get one
    lunch sounds like a great time to eat what you want and make

I've actually never heard of a food scale that sounds like a good idea and I really live a good salad my thing is when u buy the mix out of the grocery store it will go bad within days

The food scale will change everything...if you can buy the salad ingredients separately, and not in a kit, they will all last much longer, and you will get better quality vegetables (so your salad will taste way better)...chop your lettuce and veg ahead of time and put into Tupperware or mason jars so they are easy to grab....tomatoes, cukes, onions, peppers, broccoli, edameme....so many things you can add...boil 6 eggs at the beginning of the week, and add one to your salads every day....You can also bake/broil/grill 4 or 6 chicken thighs at the same time, and put one into each salad each day as well. Calorie count stays low, and you're not filling your body with all that crazy sodium and fillers that the frozen prepared dinners seem to have. Good luck to you, it can be hard, but it can also be easy too. Its definitely true that the secret to weightloss is calories in/calories out...but WHAT you put in can also hinder or help that process...Much love xo

Thank you so much for the advice this sounds good and I can add my own stuff to my salad and still taste great!!
  • JustMissTracy
    Exactly! I do it every couple of weeks, and find I save SO much time in prepping on the daily basis! (Lost 75 initial lbs, 5 more in the 45 days since starting MFP and buying a food scale!) Stick to the numbers MFP gives you, do some research, and you'll be AMAZED! Good luck!! xo
  • JustMissTracy
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A lot of processed foods, whether frozen, boxed or bagged, contain many extra ingredients to help preserve them long term. While it is very true that you can lose weight eating just about anything at a calorie deficit (including processed items), I think it's important to read the labels and know what you're eating. A lot of these meals have an ingredient list of 50-60 or more items. Is it really food, or just an "approved" food additive? I pretty much figure if I can't pronounce it and don't know what it is, I really don't want to put that into my body.

As other posters have mentioned, you can make a lot of great food in the crock pot and freeze it for later consumption. I freeze meats, veggies, pasta and rice in portion sized containers (like my own TV dinners). I do this a couple times a month, so it's not terribly time consuming and I know exactly what's in the food.

This! I do this too, and my little "frozen meals" taste way better than those big names do!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    There are processed foods and crappy processed foods. Ignore the ones that don't meet your personal diet views and carry on with the rest.

Empty calories. Tons of preservatives. Ingredients you can't pronounce and need a dictionary to define. Be wary. Short ingredient list and natural ingredients. Probably ok.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    There are processed foods and crappy processed foods. Ignore the ones that don't meet your personal diet views and carry on with the rest.

Empty calories. Tons of preservatives. Ingredients you can't pronounce and need a dictionary to define. Be wary. Short ingredient list and natural ingredients. Probably ok.

ingredients-of-a-banana-poster-4.jpeg?w=604&h=853

;)
  • tcm2003
    Exactly! I do it every couple of weeks, and find I save SO much time in prepping on the daily basis! (Lost 75 initial lbs, 5 more in the 45 days since starting MFP and buying a food scale!) Stick to the numbers MFP gives you, do some research, and you'll be AMAZED! Good luck!! xo

Wow that's amazing that gives me modulation definitely! ! Thanks again
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Hey,

Just throw this *kitten* out and eat right, don't even try and "fit it into your diet" just don't eat it ... it's no good.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    frozen foods do not cause weight gain, eating in a calorie deficit does.

you can eat frozen foods, be in a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. It all boils down to CICO for straight weight loss.

Ok I guess it's like even tho its frozen just pay attention the calories and such like regular food

yes, as you get closer to your goal weight you will want to pay more attention to macros and what not for body composition goals. For now, make sure that you get adequate nutrition, are in a calorie deficit, and that you find a form of exercise you enjoy.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Hey,

Just throw this *kitten* out and eat right, don't even try and "fit it into your diet" just don't eat it ... it's no good.

What's no good? Why is it no good?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    I personally eat frozen pizza and frozen foods. Just not alot of it. Stick to a plan, calorie goal and exercise plan. Do what makes you feel happy. And dont read too much into it. For me, the key is to stick to a well balance plan.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Hey,

The frozen pizza is what I was referring to, not going to get into a IIFYM discussion it's my opinion your welcome to yours.

Regards
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Hey,

The frozen pizza is what I was referring to, not going to get into a IIFYM discussion it's my opinion your welcome to yours.

Regards

But if you're telling someone else not to eat it, shouldn't you have a reason beyond "Well, it's my opinion"? WHY should OP avoid frozen pizza?
  • WinoGelato
    edited October 2015

Hey,

Regards

But if you're telling someone else not to eat it, shouldn't you have a reason beyond "Well, it's my opinion"? WHY should OP avoid frozen pizza?

Right. This OP seems to have a lot of preconceived notions about food (assuming food is bad just because it is frozen) and people have really been very helpful in this thread trying to explain that all that matters is a calorie deficit, that nutrient density is important but that there is nothing wrong with eating frozen foods or any food for that matter, barring a medical reason to exclude it, etc.

Blanket statements like "throw the ____ out it's no good" really aren't helpful for someone who has so much to learn, and are probably where she got these preconceived notions in the first place.

• mattyc772014
    Any pizza is good. Its just a fact.
  • WinoGelato

Actually, what's that old saying, it's like sex... even when it's bad it's good, right?

• mattyc772014

Actually, what's that old saying, it's like sex... even when it's bad it's good, right?

Correcto mundo! Thats my Spanish for the day. lol
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Fruits also make great snacks. Just remember to weigh them.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member

Hey,

Regards

Right. This OP seems to have a lot of preconceived notions about food (assuming food is bad just because it is frozen) and people have really been very helpful in this thread trying to explain that all that matters is a calorie deficit, that nutrient density is important but that there is nothing wrong with eating frozen foods or any food for that matter, barring a medical reason to exclude it, etc.

Blanket statements like "throw the ____ out it's no good" really aren't helpful for someone who has so much to learn, and are probably where she got these preconceived notions in the first place.

Frozen foods generally requires a lot of preservatives. Because they are cheap, sugar and salt are the most used preservatives. Some information links
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/432144-how-salts-sugars-work-to-preserve-foods/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/288335-the-most-common-food-preservatives/
    http://www.acsedu.co.uk/Info/Alternative-Living/Self-Sufficiency/Sugar-in-Food-Preserving.aspx

The truth is because people have busier lives, they rely on fast food and it is 'not convenient and easy' to cook for oneself daily for every meal. But that does not mean frozen foods make a healthier choice. They are more readily available and convenient foods. Do frozen foods focus on one's nutritional needs? Are they supposed to be cheap? readily available?

I will never advice someone to live on frozen foods but it will be impractical to avoid them completely from our lives. Once in a while, it is okay but on a regular basis, please use your common sense. It is not my opinion. Internet has a lot of credible information regarding healthy eating. Please do not just take my words and do your own research.

Salt. I wonder how people say if someone does not have a condition which require them to avoid salty foods, they are okay to consume extremely salty foods like a pizza. Seriously?
    http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/pizza-contains-a-lot-of-salt-research-20090519-bcwj.html
    http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Whysaltisbad/Saltseffects
    http://www.livescience.com/36256-salt-bad-health.html
    https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300625.pdf

It is like saying eat excess of it until you develop one condition. Please do not give an advice without checking some facts.