Processed foods

Replies

• Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Any pizza is good. Its just a fact.

Actually, what's that old saying, it's like sex... even when it's bad it's good, right?

Not quite true.
    Water is essential for living beings but even too much water can kill!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/drinking-much-water-killed-14-5976264
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/bushwalker-died-from-drinking-too-much-water-20120917-2621c.html
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    tcm2003 wrote: »
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Hey,

Just throw this *kitten* out and eat right, don't even try and "fit it into your diet" just don't eat it ... it's no good.

Please never be afraid to express your opinions.
    I am glad you expressed yours.
    Thank you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    anirud1 wrote: »
    Hi guys so my question is do any of yall eat frozen meals and what exactly do u feel about it? I ask cause I read they cause alot of weight gain but idk how to just give it up when I've been eating such things for years.for example the frozen pizza,etc

Hey,

Just throw this *kitten* out and eat right, don't even try and "fit it into your diet" just don't eat it ... it's no good.

What's no good? Why is it no good?

The frozen pizza is what I was referring to, not going to get into a IIFYM discussion it's my opinion your welcome to yours.

Regards

But if you're telling someone else not to eat it, shouldn't you have a reason beyond "Well, it's my opinion"? WHY should OP avoid frozen pizza?

Right. This OP seems to have a lot of preconceived notions about food (assuming food is bad just because it is frozen) and people have really been very helpful in this thread trying to explain that all that matters is a calorie deficit, that nutrient density is important but that there is nothing wrong with eating frozen foods or any food for that matter, barring a medical reason to exclude it, etc.

Blanket statements like "throw the ____ out it's no good" really aren't helpful for someone who has so much to learn, and are probably where she got these preconceived notions in the first place.

Frozen foods generally requires a lot of preservatives. Because they are cheap, sugar and salt are the most used preservatives. Some information links
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/432144-how-salts-sugars-work-to-preserve-foods/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/288335-the-most-common-food-preservatives/
    http://www.acsedu.co.uk/Info/Alternative-Living/Self-Sufficiency/Sugar-in-Food-Preserving.aspx

The truth is because people have busier lives, they rely on fast food and it is 'not convenient and easy' to cook for oneself daily for every meal. But that does not mean frozen foods make a healthier choice. They are more readily available and convenient foods. Do frozen foods focus on one's nutritional needs? Are they supposed to be cheap? readily available?

I will never advice someone to live on frozen foods but it will be impractical to avoid them completely from our lives. Once in a while, it is okay but on a regular basis, please use your common sense. It is not my opinion. Internet has a lot of credible information regarding healthy eating. Please do not just take my words and do your own research.

Salt. I wonder how people say if someone does not have a condition which require them to avoid salty foods, they are okay to consume extremely salty foods like a pizza. Seriously?
    http://www.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/pizza-contains-a-lot-of-salt-research-20090519-bcwj.html
    http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/salt/Home/Whysaltisbad/Saltseffects
    http://www.livescience.com/36256-salt-bad-health.html
    https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300625.pdf

It is like saying eat excess of it until you develop one condition. Please do not give an advice without checking some facts.

I actually don't need the links, thanks, because I didn't advise the OP to live on nothing but frozen foods. She said earlier in the thread that she usually cooks breakfast and dinner but sometimes relies on frozen foods at lunch and wanted to know if they would make her gain weight. She also said nothing about having a condition which requires her to limit her sodium consumption.

The OP asked if frozen foods would make her gain weight. She never actually specified, other than one mention of frozen pizza, which frozen foods she was talking about. There are any number of frozen foods - including vegetables and fruits, which are just that, flash frozen veggies and fruits, without evil hidden preservatives. There is nothing inherently wrong with any frozen foods, whether it be frozen convenience food like chicken nuggets or frozen pizza, or frozen fruits and vegetables, which would make her gain weight or have a negative impact on her health, unless, as mentioned, she has reason to limit sodium in which case she should probably keep an eye on that which is what I, and others, advised her to do.

My point is that making blanket statements like frozen pizza is crap and you should never eat it, isn't helpful to someone who is just asking if these foods are going to hinder her weight loss progress. They aren't going to hinder her weight loss, if she eats them within a calorie deficit. They aren't going to be inherently unhealthy for her either, if she eats them in the context of a primarily nutrient dense diet.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015

Hey,

What's no good? Why is it no good?

The frozen pizza is what I was referring to, not going to get into a IIFYM discussion it's my opinion your welcome to yours.

Regards

But if you're telling someone else not to eat it, shouldn't you have a reason beyond "Well, it's my opinion"? WHY should OP avoid frozen pizza?

Right. This OP seems to have a lot of preconceived notions about food (assuming food is bad just because it is frozen) and people have really been very helpful in this thread trying to explain that all that matters is a calorie deficit, that nutrient density is important but that there is nothing wrong with eating frozen foods or any food for that matter, barring a medical reason to exclude it, etc.

Blanket statements like "throw the ____ out it's no good" really aren't helpful for someone who has so much to learn, and are probably where she got these preconceived notions in the first place.

Frozen foods generally requires a lot of preservatives. Because they are cheap, sugar and salt are the most used preservatives. Some information links
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/432144-how-salts-sugars-work-to-preserve-foods/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/288335-the-most-common-food-preservatives/
    http://www.acsedu.co.uk/Info/Alternative-Living/Self-Sufficiency/Sugar-in-Food-Preserving.aspx

Whether frozen foods have preservatives and what they are varies quite a lot from food to food. Therefore, rather than reading your links, what would make more sense is reading the nutritional contents on the package and making an informed decision based on the things the particular consumer cares about. NOT just saying "don't eat it, it's frozen."

For example, many frozen vegetables may be more nutritious than the "fresh" vegetables elsewhere in the grocery store.
    Do frozen foods focus on one's nutritional needs? Are they supposed to be cheap? readily available?

Some are, some aren't.
    Salt. I wonder how people say if someone does not have a condition which require them to avoid salty foods, they are okay to consume extremely salty foods like a pizza. Seriously?

Pizza is not inherently "extremely salty." (This seems like a different topic than the frozen food one.) Saltiest thing on my usual pizza is the olives, and olives are definitely worth it, IMO.

Also, no one said to only eat pizza or frozen foods.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Someone needs a frozen pizza thrown at them. Just sayin....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Please do not give an advice without checking some facts.

Exactly. You should check your facts.

OP, eating at a surplus will cause weight gain. A caloric deficit for weight loss.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    To the person who posted the banana image... What are you thinking?
    It is tenfold more important to eat whole foods (such as a banana) rather than the things that OP are speaking of.
    You're going to tell me that 100 cals of broccoli= 100 calls of frozen pizza? YES, MATHEMATICALLY they are the SAME. Nutritionally, ABSOLUTELY NOT!
  • cndkendrick
    Someone needs a frozen pizza thrown at them. Just sayin....

Werd..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Nope, don't eat them. Way, way, way too much salt, which isn't going to help me and which I can't stand any more. Very high-cal if you consider how much food you get.

But I loved them before I changed my diet to a lower-salt one. They're easy to make and easy to log. I get why people like them when they're starting diets. You get X amount of food and you're done. Plus, again, easy. Not a bad way to start off!

Still, food you make yourself will taste better and be healthier. You'll get to eat more food, too, so you won't be as hungry. You may wish to consider cooking for yourself instead of eating the frozen stuff...at some point, anyway.
  • cndkendrick
    OP Check out Food Babe.com Also, a GREAT place to start is Fooducate to learn about getting into foods as whole as possible, and healthier alternatives. Not everything that "fits" into your caloric requirements are the best options.
  • WinoGelato
    To the person who posted the banana image... What are you thinking?
    It is tenfold more important to eat whole foods (such as a banana) rather than the things that OP are speaking of.
    You're going to tell me that 100 cals of broccoli= 100 calls of frozen pizza? YES, MATHEMATICALLY they are the SAME. Nutritionally, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I think the point of the banana image was that people who say that they don't eat things they can't pronounce or don't eat any chemicals have never looked at the components of a banana, or any other whole food, which have plenty of complicated to pronounce chemical ingredients.

No one is saying that a banana and frozen pizza are identical nutritionally, although, frozen pizza, depending on what the toppings are, has protein, fat and carbs. A banana, just carbs. In many instances, pizza would be the better choice.

• cndkendrick
    The chemical compounds which make up a whole food is different than the lab made ingredients which make up a frozen pizza.
    Just a quick google search will tell me that a typical totinos pizza has a .5 gram of trans fat and 1 gram of fiber, whereas a banana has minuscule fats, 3.4 grams of fiber, and 1 gram of protein. Your latter statement is not accurate.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Any pizza is good. Its just a fact.

Actually, what's that old saying, it's like sex... even when it's bad it's good, right?

Not quite true.
    Water is essential for living beings but even too much water can kill!

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/science/drinking-much-water-killed-14-5976264
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/bushwalker-died-from-drinking-too-much-water-20120917-2621c.html
    Are you trying to say too much sex can kill someone? I don't think that's proven, but I'm willing to volunteer as a test subject.
  • senecarr
    OP Check out Food Babe.com Also, a GREAT place to start is Fooducate to learn about getting into foods as whole as possible, and healthier alternatives. Not everything that "fits" into your caloric requirements are the best options.

Does checking out Food Babe include checking out her article about water molecules that respond to unhappy thoughts, so please don't use a microwave?
  • cndkendrick
    I'm not..by any stretch... saying that she is 100% accurate. But some of her reports are food for thought. No pun intended.
  • WinoGelato
    The chemical compounds which make up a whole food is different than the lab made ingredients which make up a frozen pizza.
    Just a quick google search will tell me that a typical totinos pizza has a .5 gram of trans fat and 1 gram of fiber, whereas a banana has minuscule fats, 3.4 grams of fiber, and 1 gram of protein. Your latter statement is not accurate.

The originally statement was that people don't eat foods they can't pronounce. The image (which I didn't post but I agree with) is that those kind of statements are ironic when you consider that every food we eat, man made or nature made, has multi-syllabic chemical components.

My statement about frozen pizza vs banana was that in many instances a pizza would be a better choice. Not in every instance. I'm not sure how your one Google search example of a tostinos pizza is meant to be representative of every frozen pizza that is available.

The problem occurs when people try to make individualized food comparisons in a vacuum, which is not representative of a persons entire diet. In the context of a balanced diet, there's nothing wrong with eating frozen pizza. And a banana. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
  • WinoGelato
    senecarr wrote: »

Does checking out Food Babe include checking out her article about water molecules that respond to unhappy thoughts, so please don't use a microwave?

Don't forget the one where she warned against the dangers of air in the back of an airplane because of the high prevalence of Nitrogen. ZOMG another scary chemical!
  • senecarr
    senecarr wrote: »

Don't forget the one where she warned against the dangers of air in the back of an airplane because of the high prevalence of Nitrogen. ZOMG another scary chemical!

I always feel there's too much pressure on me about accepting nitrogen.