How to eat just one cookie

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    f295bfc15003410edb89888e7ca7f963.jpg
    andyluvv wrote: »
    This article doesnt apply to everyone. 1 cookie for me sets off intense cravings for more, which would require discipline which I suck at. So no cookies for me. I have the same response with bread if I eat a sandwich 1 day, I end up craving it the next day and the next along with other carbs and junk. If I cut all these things out of my diet I stop craving them and start craving healthy things like fruits. If i would have a pack of cookies sitting in my kitchen and I decided to eat it 1 day because it fit into my goal it restarts the cravings.

I SO get you. I avoid having anything like that in the house because I WILL eat it. I have noticed I can have a incredible diet all day - until I get home and I'm tired. Then I'll eat and won't notice I'm full till half the fridge is empty :neutral: lol

I JUST WISH supermarkets would make single serve packets - packets of ONE cookie, ONE chocolate...so I only allow myself when the cookies/bread are reduced and I can buy one and throw away the rest.
    um they do! Grandmas makes a single cookie or buy a single from mcds for 35€ and ghirhideli (however its spelled) makes squares sold individual. Or lindt makes sigle truffles sold individual. Or visit a chocolatier sold by piece. And desserts can be shared:) do it all the time less cals too.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I buy Nestle cookies in a package of dough broken into small squares you bake yourself.

I have two, and only two, for dessert every day.

You can't raid the box with these because it takes time and effort to make them.
    That presumes they need to be cooked to be edible. The store bought stuff usually tastes better raw than cooked, to me.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    The article's point about delayed gratification really resonated with me. To me, the ability to eat "just one cookie" goes hand in hand with my other favourite weight loss trick: Pre-logging.

I pre-log my diary for the day or week. I plan out my meals and, with the leftover calories, my snacks and treats. Sure, sometimes things change and I adjust on the fly, but mostly, I have them already worked into my plan.

So if I know that I have, say, two squares of really good chocolate in my plan, I get to look forward to eating them all day. And I usually try to wait as late as possible in the day before eating them, 'cause anticipation is half the fun and once they're eaten, it's done.

If it's not in my plan, I don't eat it, plain and simple. But pre-logging and using delayed gratification techniques really help me stick to the small quantities.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    I buy Nestle cookies in a package of dough broken into small squares you bake yourself.

You can't raid the box with these because it takes time and effort to make them.
    That presumes they need to be cooked to be edible. The store bought stuff usually tastes better raw than cooked, to me.

Ok. But eating raw cookie dough is generally considered to be a bad idea.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    The article's point about delayed gratification really resonated with me. To me, the ability to eat "just one cookie" goes hand in hand with my other favourite weight loss trick: Pre-logging.

I pre-log my diary for the day or week. I plan out my meals and, with the leftover calories, my snacks and treats. Sure, sometimes things change and I adjust on the fly, but mostly, I have them already worked into my plan.

So if I know that I have, say, two squares of really good chocolate in my plan, I get to look forward to eating them all day. And I usually try to wait as late as possible in the day before eating them, 'cause anticipation is half the fun and once they're eaten, it's done.

If it's not in my plan, I don't eat it, plain and simple. But pre-logging and using delayed gratification techniques really help me stick to the small quantities.

Agreed. I no longer prelog, but I have a general idea what I'm going to eat on a given day, so sort of the same thing. I eat pretty much the same-ish foods so I have a good idea of my calorie counts.

A long, long time ago, I read an absolutely horrible diet book that had one wonderful sentence in it. I've never forgotten it. It was about food. It was simply "It's not leaving the planet".

I tried for many years to repeat that as a mantra to myself in order to employ moderation techniques, and while it didn't work due to the fact that my reasons for immoderate behavior with food were complex, it's standing me in good stead now that I've unpacked my deeper issues.

I personally believe, as a someone who has conquered immoderate behavior, that it's possible for everyone to achieve moderation with food if they choose to do so. It takes a lot of work and self examination, and some may be happier simply abstaining.

I was not content to live my life that way, so I kept pushing onwards. Everyone is different though.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Respect the cookie, but respect yourself first.
  • DeguelloTex

Not around here.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I could eat just one cookie, but I don't wanna. I don't really enjoy it. It's more like one bite sets off a trigger response that makes me struggle and suffer, overeat and get fat. I love food, and I love having food peace. Not keeping trigger foods around me creates food peace. I don't miss the trigger foods. The cravings miss the trigger foods. The cravings are not going away no matter however much I'd eat.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member

Not around here.

Hey, if eating raw egg is your thing live it up!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Not around here.

Hasn't killed me yet; heck, I've never even gotten the slightest bit sick from it.
  • DeguelloTex

Not around here.

Been doing with cookie dough, ice cream, and, heck, raw eggs themselves for 50 years. Mother's been doing it for almost 70. Grandfather for over 90. Kids for 15.

• Dutchy_77
    Dutchy_77 Posts: 1,695 Member
    How to eat just one cookie? Really?

Ok here we go:
    Step one: eat one cookie,
    Step two: stop

Life is complicated enough as it is why make it harder?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    It is easier for me to eat no cookies than just one.

Ditto. I'd rather have none. And now that I have none, they mean absolutely nothing to me.
    There's a box of open cookies hubs brought home on the counter and meh, no appeal any more.

Whoops. Turns out they weren't cookies. They were mini-pastries. It took me a few days to notice. And I love that.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    It's far easier to resist temptation by avoiding temptation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

This is almost exactly what worked for me. I stopped prelogging (although I've recently re-started a little), but I still have a plan in my head as to what extras I'm going to fit in, and I stick to it, and I 100% agree that delayed gratification and anticipation are the keys.
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Don't have a problem eating one cookie

1 open the cabinet
    2 get cookie pack out
    3 take ONE cookie
    4 close the cookie pack
    5 put away the cookie pack in the cabinet
    6 walk out of the kitchen with your cookie ( & coffee)
    7 sit down pick up my book or game
    8 enjoy cookie

THIS! And since I am a grown-up, I have complete permission to go back and get a second cookie if I want one. Or even a third (calorie allotment for the day notwithstanding). But this way I am MINDFUL about it, as opposed to sitting there with the package of cookies within arm's reach of me as I eat.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    What I have found is that *for me* I can be very moderate and eat just one or just one serving of a treat, if I know there will be more later. So, I have a half a pan of seven layer bars (one of my favorite cookies) in the freezer and it has lasted me since I baked it in late April I think. But I know it's there (and my family doesn't), so I know I could have a bar whenever I wanted. I have trouble moderating at an event where there are sweets and once the event is over, I can't have another cookie or brownie. Makes no difference if I have one or none (or even 4+), I know I can't have another of those particular treats after the event is done. I'm working on it, but it's a mental struggle each time.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    What I have found is that *for me* I can be very moderate and eat just one or just one serving of a treat, if I know there will be more later. So, I have a half a pan of seven layer bars (one of my favorite cookies) in the freezer and it has lasted me since I baked it in late April I think. But I know it's there (and my family doesn't), so I know I could have a bar whenever I wanted. I have trouble moderating at an event where there are sweets and once the event is over, I can't have another cookie or brownie. Makes no difference if I have one or none (or even 4+), I know I can't have another of those particular treats after the event is done. I'm working on it, but it's a mental struggle each time.

Ask for recipes! It's a great way to compliment the chefs. And then you can make those items whenever you want and put them in your freezer.
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Because, for the most part, I eat what I want. ...
    Because if I know the food is around and always available, its urgency goes away.
    Nope. For many of us, this is exactly how we got fat. Glad it works for some.

Weirdly this has actually been working a treat for me.
    The part in the article about the "Last Chance Syndrome" made me laugh because i've suffered from that so many times. telling myself well i better eat all the chocolate, cake and smarties(my absolute favourites!) now because i'm not eating them ever again once i start my diet tomorrow!! Then like a week later i'd cave and be eating a chocolate bar for breakfast :blush:

But by having all the 'bad' food i might possibly want in the house where i can have it any time i want has really made me want it a whole lot less...like they said in the article the urgency to eat the food has really gone away. I have 3 1L tubs of ice cream in the my fridge each one has been there for a month or so (I may actually have to throw some of them out next bin night because they might've gone a bit icky by now) Every now and then i will open one up and have one or two small spoonfuls of it and put it back, I know it's not going anywhere so i don't need to rush to eat it all.

It does sound kind of counter-productive to have all these high calorie junk foods around the place when you are trying to lose weight but yeah for me I actually found this to be really helpful! :smile:

I guess it just goes to show how diffrent this whole process really is for everyone what works for me is probably a nightmare scenario for some then what works for others seems like a horrible ordeal to me

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    Because, for the most part, I eat what I want. ...
    Because if I know the food is around and always available, its urgency goes away.
    Nope. For many of us, this is exactly how we got fat. Glad it works for some.

Weirdly this has actually been working a treat for me.
    The part in the article about the "Last Chance Syndrome" made me laugh because i've suffered from that so many times. telling myself well i better eat all the chocolate, cake and smarties(my absolute favourites!) now because i'm not eating them ever again once i start my diet tomorrow!! Then like a week later i'd cave and be eating a chocolate bar for breakfast :blush:

But by having all the 'bad' food i might possibly want in the house where i can have it any time i want has really made me want it a whole lot less...like they said in the article the urgency to eat the food has really gone away. I have 3 1L tubs of ice cream in the my fridge each one has been there for a month or so (I may actually have to throw some of them out next bin night because they might've gone a bit icky by now) Every now and then i will open one up and have one or two small spoonfuls of it and put it back, I know it's not going anywhere so i don't need to rush to eat it all.

It does sound kind of counter-productive to have all these high calorie junk foods around the place when you are trying to lose weight but yeah for me I actually found this to be really helpful! :smile:

I guess it just goes to show how diffrent this whole process really is for everyone what works for me is probably a nightmare scenario for some then what works for others seems like a horrible ordeal to me

Yep.

Sure, I got fat with all that food around too, but guess what? I didn't care about losing/maintaining my weight. Now I do.

Like someone said... I'm stronger than the cookies.