How to eat just one cookie

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I thought that was a very thoughtful article. Right from the beginning the statment was I am not more disciplined than the next person. What the article was about was mindfulness. When we are mindful, we are strong. And that is because mindfulness means being conscious of who I am and what I do to myself to treat myself with respect.
    I am pretty mindful that I lack discipline. I can totally be aware of my goals, respect myself, and understand that I should not overindulge but I will still eat the 2nd cookie because the cravings are strong, But I know there are people like you who are lucky enough to control it. Whether you are calling it mindfulness or discipline in the end it is all about control and you guys are able to do it.
    As Dirty Harry once said, "a man's got to know his limitations". :)

Some people can handle having sweets in the house, some can't. For those who can't, keeping them out of the house isn't called weakness, it's called being smart. Nobody with a lick of sense would tell a recovering alcoholic to keep a fully stocked bar in their house and 'be mindful', so why should it be any different with food?

Ya, I was with her until the "Surround Yourself With "Cheat" Foods" section. I can have some treats in moderation, but constantly seeing them and therefore constantly needing to make a decision about whether or not to eat them? No thanks.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I buy Nestle cookies in a package of dough broken into small squares you bake yourself.

I have two, and only two, for dessert every day.

You can't raid the box with these because it takes time and effort to make them.
    That presumes they need to be cooked to be edible. The store bought stuff usually tastes better raw than cooked, to me.

Ok. But eating raw cookie dough is generally considered to be a bad idea.
    Not around here.

Hey, if eating raw egg is your thing live it up!
    Been doing with cookie dough, ice cream, and, heck, raw eggs themselves for 50 years. Mother's been doing it for almost 70. Grandfather for over 90. Kids for 15.

I eat lots of raw eggs too but am more comfortable doing this with eggs produced by farmers I know rather than conventionally raised eggs. YMMV.

• kshama2001
    Options
    I buy Nestle cookies in a package of dough broken into small squares you bake yourself.

I have two, and only two, for dessert every day.

You can't raid the box with these because it takes time and effort to make them.
    That presumes they need to be cooked to be edible. The store bought stuff usually tastes better raw than cooked, to me.

I prefer my favorite home made cookie dough nuked just enough in the microwave to start melting the chocolate chips, so essentially raw as well.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting sequel:

"How to eat just one piece of cake."

It's sure to be thrilling!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    THERE ARE restaurants that cater to mini tastes. I checked and Applebees has dessert shooters.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302157-applebees-dessert-shooters-nutrition/

Or my favourite, he orders pie and we ask for two forks. The number of bites is entirely under my control.

I have no control with endless bread bowls, however.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I have done a mindful exercise with a bagel. Just recalling this link, I remember how it smelled, it tasted....

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/04/pleasurable-bagel.html
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I thought that was a very thoughtful article. Right from the beginning the statment was I am not more disciplined than the next person. What the article was about was mindfulness. When we are mindful, we are strong. And that is because mindfulness means being conscious of who I am and what I do to myself to treat myself with respect.
    I am pretty mindful that I lack discipline. I can totally be aware of my goals, respect myself, and understand that I should not overindulge but I will still eat the 2nd cookie because the cravings are strong, But I know there are people like you who are lucky enough to control it. Whether you are calling it mindfulness or discipline in the end it is all about control and you guys are able to do it.

Some people can handle having sweets in the house, some can't. For those who can't, keeping them out of the house isn't called weakness, it's called being smart. Nobody with a lick of sense would tell a recovering alcoholic to keep a fully stocked bar in their house and 'be mindful', so why should it be any different with food?

Ya, I was with her until the "Surround Yourself With "Cheat" Foods" section. I can have some treats in moderation, but constantly seeing them and therefore constantly needing to make a decision about whether or not to eat them? No thanks.

Yep Ive had times when a small craving hit me and Ive considered going outside to get it but the process of going outside to get it stopped me from eating it. If this cheat food was in my house I probably wouldnt have given it a 2nd thought and would eat it. The craving eventually subsided and I saved a couple of calories. I rather go with this method than risk having cheat snacks so close to me. I also like the idea of only having cheat snacks when I go out somewhere (restaurant, party) that way it really is a treat and not something I will do often because it is sitting in my kitchen.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My willpower is worn out by evening. I could exercise my willpower in the morning, and vigorously say "no" all day, but by evening I want it out of my sight.

I use tricks and sleight of hand to distract myself from cravings and mindless eating in the evening. I work my way through a bottle of water most evenings, or make myself a stevia-sweetened hot chocolate. I might have to move the treat shelf, too.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have done a mindful exercise with a bagel. Just recalling this link, I remember how it smelled, it tasted....

I think this is similar to how my bf eats. He savours his food and eats it very slowly. I think thats why he is able to control his cravings. I always try to remind myself to do this but forget to.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I think this is similar to how my bf eats. He savours his food and eats it very slowly. I think thats why he is able to control his cravings. I always try to remind myself to do this but forget to.

Yes it's important.
    THERE ARE restaurants that cater to mini tastes. I checked and Applebees has dessert shooters.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/302157-applebees-dessert-shooters-nutrition/

Or my favourite, he orders pie and we ask for two forks. The number of bites is entirely under my control.

I have no control with endless bread bowls, however.

I just wish the rest of Applebee's menu was worth it. The under 600 calories menu is getting smaller every other month and doesn't have anything that appeals to me now.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This article, sadly, does nothing to help somebody with binge eating disorder! If I kept treats in my house, that would not make me feel better, like I could have one any time I want. That would be fuel to my fire. I have cookies in the cabinet, I'll look for the perfect excuse to eat the entire bag as soon as nobody is watching.

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

^^Exactly this , It is so much easier for me to keep things that trigger me out of sight,,,,for me this keeps them out of mind. I still will eat them every now and then,,but then it sure ain't just one. I refuse to schedule my day or my life over a piece of candy or a cookie or ice cream. All of these foods I love,,,but I find it so much easier to keep them away then to juggle my life around trying to eat just one. Guess that may make me weak but then I do know what my limitations are and act accordingly.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not think about just eating one -- so I don't eat any and that way I don't have to think about it at all. Easier to hit my calorie/macros if I'm not thinking about how I'm going to eat just one cookie. And after I lift weights I like how I feel when I eat protein.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Olive Garden makes smaller desserts and Cheesecake Factory has the low-carb cake, which is around 500-600 calories if that entry was correct. I do wish... better places offered smaller desserts and there was more variety. I love Dairy Queen for selling mini Blizzards.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    I'd rather not think about just eating one -- so I don't eat any and that way I don't have to think about it at all. Easier to hit my calorie/macros if I'm not thinking about how I'm going to eat just one cookie. And after I lift weights I like how I feel when I eat protein.

I'm the same way, but I think this is great for non-volume eaters. Doesn't work for me, because bugger the cookie, I want the whole bag or I don't want any at all. But for everyone else, don't torture yourselves with being more restrictive than your personal mental and physical traits demand. Eat your cookie!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How to eat just 1 cookie: Make it a really big cookie!

This!

Snickerdoodle.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    This article, sadly, does nothing to help somebody with binge eating disorder! If I kept treats in my house, that would not make me feel better, like I could have one any time I want. That would be fuel to my fire. I have cookies in the cabinet, I'll look for the perfect excuse to eat the entire bag as soon as nobody is watching.

Someone with binge eating disorder needs clinical help and once treated will have coping strategies in place.

Sometimes, they can then even have things like cookies around, and this article would indeed apply to them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

This!

Snickerdoodle.jpg

I got a box of the white chocolate macadamia ones. So good. Might get the chocolate chip cookie ones with the 25% GNC online sale.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This!

Snickerdoodle.jpg

I got a box of the white chocolate macadamia ones. So good. Might get the chocolate chip cookie ones with the 25% GNC online sale.

I wish I would've bought three boxes of the Snickerdoodle instead of the Pumpkin & Lemon Poppyseed.

They also have a Peanut Butter cookie.

I'm not buying anymore cookies until I get through the aforementioned, the Keebler Pumpkin Spice, & the Enjoy Life Snickerdoodle.

At least the new Cinnamon Roll Oreos aren't out yet.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    The article makes sense to me, but I guess I'm not a binge eater. I gained about 60 lbs. over the course of 10 years by eating a little too much, just a little too often and being less active than I needed to be.
    :
    I especially liked her tip to only eat a cookie that is really, really delicious. I work really hard not eat anything that isn't wonderful or worth the calories it will cost me. MFP has really helped me see all cookies are not created equal! Right now my favorites are those frozen chocolate chip cookie balls because I can bake up one or two and have a warm, perfectly portion controlled cookie and not feel one little bit guilty over this indulgence.

If it doesn't meet my high standards I will pass on it. I'm not proud of it (okay, maybe I am a little) but once I even spit out a cookie that was so dry and terrible that I almost choked on it. I was not going to use any of my precious calories on that terrible thing. I feel the same way with doughnuts. A fresh doughnut from my favorite place is worth the calories once in a while. A stale, supermarket doughnut is usually not! Now, if I could only develop higher standards for pizza and chocolate!