Anyone have overnight shifts?

Options
I recently got a job that is overnight and still adjusting to the hours. With the odd hours its hard to map out my meals and exercises. How should i log my meals? for example if i wake at 4pm and only have a small meal and snacks before work, then a meal during the lunch hour and then another small meal before i go to sleep at like 8:30am, should all that be mapped out for one day?

Replies

• ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I work in health care and have an occasional night. I always log midnight to midnight to keep myself straight since I can flip back and forth.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have 3 categories of food entries in my diary. "Food eaten at home" "food eaten at work" "snacks" i log my food depending on where i ate it, snacks being anything eaten outside of home or work. I also work overnights.

It doesn't matter when you eat, just log it. In other words, don't fret about what day you're counting calories for, because the goal is to make sure you're eating less than you burn. As long as you're not regularly going over/through your calorie goal, youll be fine.

If you're burning 2500x7 calories in a week, you need to eat less than 2500x7 per week to lose weight.

I hope that didn't confuse things much.
  • katyjay2014
    katyjay2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I the use the midnight-midnight times. Its just easier. Although, I barely eat on nights: a regular decent size dinner, a healthy snack or 2 around 11pm and then hope that sustains me until 6am when I can eat breakfast :) Helps keep my body on a somewhat normal schedule too, especially with switching back and forth between days and nights!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1171754/the-official-nightshift-thread#latest

What I eventually did was modify my diary so I could just put my food in under 1category, and stopped worrying about what meal I was eating. When I worked straight overnights, I logged my "day" from when I got up to when I went to sleep. Now that I work overnights on the weekend and go to school during the day during the week, I log midnight-to-midnight, regardless.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like the from when i wake to when i sleep i think i will do that :smile:
  • DLMitch22
    DLMitch22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work overnight and I just log it without a time.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I just track midnight to midnight. Regardless of when I wake up and go to sleep.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Midnight to midnight here as well. Since the diary flips over to a new day at midnight, it just makes it easy and convenient to start my new day then.