Why do many here not consider themselves runners despite running regularly?

Options
I have noticed on some running threads some people comment on not being a runner but then go on to describe running atleast 3 times a week a distance I would consider long or speed I would see as fast. When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Guilty! You're right it's a thing! Personally I think it's still challenging to do more than a few miles so I'm not a 'natural' so us hesitate to say I'm 'a runner'. But realistically yes I accept I'm probably doing better than many others. I suppose it's how you measure yourself against personal goals?? Maybe one day...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Maybe if they don't get into races and such? Or have the stereotypical runner's build? According to this post, though, if we're human, running is our jam :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am because I am still very slow. My perception is runners are 10 min milers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    I jog slowly. I'm not trying to get under a 10 minute mile, nor plan to compete in any 5-10K. I only jog because so I can get the distance (3 miles) done faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm just starting. I did C25K week 7 day 1 and jogged 1.8 miles this morning. I'll only ever jog slowly for medical reasons, and my goals are all time-focused in that I want to be able to do it for an hour.

If I end up jogging faster during that hour and covering more distance in that time? That's cool. If not, I'll just walk the rest of my usual route. Right now, it currently takes me 1:25 to walk it.

Will I be a runner then? I don't know. I'll be a jogger, I guess.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but play ultimate and just jogged for 12 minutes on the treadmill before making pizza for dinner. I don't run for enjoyment, and the only reason I want to run is to do a obstacle course run next summer (sort of as proof I'm fit after being obese), and all of those come with 5-10k distances.

The runners I do know compete in most of the local runs and some of the big runs (Boston Marathon, etc...). I have no intention of doing any of that. Those are the people I call runners.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I don't think I am because I am still very slow. My perception is runners are 10 min milers

Why would pace matter at all? If you run at least once per week, I'd say you're a runner. That's like saying you're not a driver because you drive slow. You're still driving.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't really define myself by the exercise that I choose to do. I am a slow-runner/fast-shuffler, but I am not into the running lifestyle (running groups, races, Personal Records, collecting race t-shirts, little number bumper stickers with my prefer distance etc...)
    I also do yoga, but I don't consider myself a yogi/yogini.

I am not "dedicated" to a certain sport. I just do it, sometimes.

Just like I wouldn't say "I am a driver" -- I just drive when I have to.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't really define myself by the exercise that I choose to do. I am a slow-runner/fast-shuffler, but I am not into the running lifestyle (running groups, races, Personal Records, collecting race t-shirts, little number bumper stickers with my prefer distance etc...)

While I totally believe you are free to identify or not identify as you choose, this isn't an argument that you *should*, I did want to throw out there there are "runners" who are not into racing, PRs, bumper sticker or groups. There is a type of runner that just runs for the sake of running.
    That's not me but there are people out there.
  • beachhouse758
    edited October 2015
    Options

While I totally believe you are free to identify or not identify as you choose, this isn't an argument that you *should*, I did want to throw out there there are "runners" who are not into racing, PRs, bumper sticker or groups. There is a type of runner that just runs for the sake of running.

I am sure there are runners who are not into what I listed under what I consider to be characteristics of the "runner lifestyle/generalization"

As I am sure there are just as many people who are into a lot of the "stuff" and then end up doing very little running.

That's neither here or there. I guess I just don't call myself "a runner" because it is not a huge, defining part of my life.

I don't have a passion for running, it's more like an inclination.

Just something to do.

*shrugs*
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I am sure there are runners who are not into what I listed under what I consider to be characteristics of the "runner lifestyle/generalization"

As I am sure there are just as many people who are into a lot of the "stuff" and then end up doing very little running.

That's neither here or there. I guess I just don't call myself "a runner" because it is not a huge, defining part of my life.

Just something to do.

*shrugs*

My point wasn't that you should call yourself a runner. I specifically said it's up to you. My point was for others who might be reading this thread that that there are other, almost contradictory, definitions of what a runner is.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • beachhouse758
    edited October 2015
    Options

Just something to do.

*shrugs*

My point wasn't that you should call yourself a runner. I specifically said it's up to you. My point was for others who might be reading this thread that that there are other, almost contradictory, definitions of what a runner is.

hmmm, my bad. I was trying to clarify my answer as it pertains to the original question. I wasn't directing my response to you or trying to argue your point (shouldn't have used the quote level thing on my earlier post)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

that's a misconception.

If you run - you are a runner.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I did not consider myself a runner until I was able to run for 30 minutes continually. Why 30 minutes? No reason, it's just the amount of time I got stuck in my head.

I think it's pretty common for newer runners to have some arbitrary idea of what it is that makes someone "a runner," and not to think of themselves as runners until either they meet that arbitrary standard or they see enough runners that they revise their standard.

As to the 10 minute mile . . . I know a runner who has never run a 10 minute mile in her life. This has not prevented her from completing multiple marathons, half marathons, and ultras. I might walk and almost keep up with her easy running pace, but she is definitely a runner.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think of a "runner" as someone who runs competitively and seriously. People who train for half-marathons or marathons, people who run daily or regularly, rain or shine, people who time their intervals and splits, people who have all sorts of fancy gear.

In my mind, I'm not a runner, not really. I started C25K last spring and just ran my first-ever 5k race in September. But I'd never run before that in my life. I only go when the weather's nice and the urge hits. I jog more than run. I don't have fancy gear and I don't worry about my times. And I will do other stuff in the winter 'cause the idea of running indoors on a treadmill bores me to tears. I'd rather ski.

(FWIW, I do consider myself a skier. But that's probably because I've been skiing for 30 years. I've been running -- sort of -- for 6 months.)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I 'became' a runner when I started looking forward to 10 mile runs on Saturday morning. Before that I ran but never really enjoyed it. I wasn't "a runner".
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I used to consider myself a runner (sort of...it took almost a year before it didn't feel weird saying it out loud), but then I decided to train for triathlons. I still run 30 miles/week and have a half marathon coming up in a couple weeks, but calling myself a "runner" feels like a partial definition, as would calling myself a "cyclist" or "swimmer."
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I think of a "runner" as someone who runs competitively and seriously. People who train for half-marathons or marathons, people who run daily or regularly, rain or shine, people who time their intervals and splits, people who have all sorts of fancy gear.

In my mind, I'm not a runner, not really. I started C25K last spring and just ran my first-ever 5k race in September. But I'd never run before that in my life. I only go when the weather's nice and the urge hits. I jog more than run. I don't have fancy gear and I don't worry about my times. And I will do other stuff in the winter 'cause the idea of running indoors on a treadmill bores me to tears. I'd rather ski.

(FWIW, I do consider myself a skier. But that's probably because I've been skiing for 30 years. I've been running -- sort of -- for 6 months.)

Your post made me think of the Nike "No Games, just Sport" ad in the movie "What Women Want"

Like "running does not care if you...."

... :bigsmile:
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I hate running, but that's kind of a big deal for obstacle course races (which I looove).
    Because I hate running I let everyone know that I am not a runner...
    however, the marathons, half marathons, 5ks, 10ks, 50ks--all make people assume I'm a runner.

I would consider myself a runner if I enjoyed running and competing in running events, looked forward to the next PR, not stop bragging about a PR, talked splits amongst other runners, Dreamt that pacing would be a fun job, Read running blogs, Blogged about running, Obsess over certain shoes/socks/watches, donate a crap ton of running shirts because it's overflowing the clothes cabinet.