Why do many here not consider themselves runners despite running regularly?

Options

Replies

• annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In my mind you are a runner if you go out there and run for any reason voluntarily. Now if you're just running away as fast as you can from a zombie apocalypse then I'd say 'no'. Why limit those who can call themselves runners to certain standards? You may be an avid-runner, or a 'if I feel like it I'll go for a run runner' or a 'if I ran any slower I'd be crawling runner' or a 'I'm just happy I can run for 10 seconds without dying runner' or a 'so fast you're an Olympian runner'. But regardless you're a runner.

I've always felt that running has less restrictions on the usage of the term than say some other careers would have. But that's me, and there's plenty of people who would argue that I'm full of it.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    In my mind you are a runner if you go out there and run for any reason voluntarily. Now if you're just running away as fast as you can from a zombie apocalypse then I'd say 'no'. Why limit those who can call themselves runners to certain standards? You may be an avid-runner, or a 'if I feel like it I'll go for a run runner' or a 'if I ran any slower I'd be crawling runner' or a 'I'm just happy I can run for 10 seconds without dying runner' or a 'so fast you're an Olympian runner'. But regardless you're a runner.

I've always felt that running has less restrictions on the usage of the term than say some other careers would have. But that's me, and there's plenty of people who would argue that I'm full of it.

This is how I see it too..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Personally, although I do run, I do not consider myself or describe myself a runner - I've never organised my life around the sport and it is an activity that I use to feed other activity - i'm interested in running as complement to activity in such a way that I might even complete things like tri's, etc and still would not consider myself a runner. My physiology, attitude, weight, speed and attention for this sport are not dedicated, nor have they ever been to serious level. I life weights but I'm not a weight-lifter. I climb and but don't call myself a climber. I reserve these monikers for people with aptitude or attitude or perseverance to levels beyond my own. I would call myself a cyclist (on a good day or in my heyday) and differentiate how I look at running vs. how I look at cycling.

Probably the attitude I have about the sport creates a minor barrier to how much I practice it - surely if I embraced it more, I'd practice it more - chicken and egg problem.

But, since it will likely never be my primary focus, I'm pretty ok just saying "I run" rather than "I'm a runner".

edit: how other people describe themselves is their own business. If you run slower than me, less than me and still call yourself a "runner" - that's great! I have zero cares in the world on how the term is personally used.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't really define myself by the exercise that I choose to do. I am a slow-runner/fast-shuffler, but I am not into the running lifestyle (running groups, races, Personal Records, collecting race t-shirts, little number bumper stickers with my prefer distance etc...)
    I also do yoga, but I don't consider myself a yogi/yogini.

I am not "dedicated" to a certain sport. I just do it, sometimes.

Just like I wouldn't say "I am a driver" -- I just drive when I have to.

thats pretty much how i feel. I mean i am specific in the activities that i do but i don't take them super serious. It's just stuff i do.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think people underestimate their efforts

people become runners as soon as they go out and start to move their legs, despite the pace or distance

obviously commitment is needed, if you get out once a month the situation is different

on the contrary, maybe this is just my experience, but people tend to forget how hard is to get out 2-3-4-5 days a week and run, just because you got used to it
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people look at it much like they would a carpenter/chef/mechanic. Just because I can nail two boards together doesn't make me a carpenter...just because I can cook dinner doesn't make me a chef...and just because I can change the oil/headlights on my car doesn't make me a mechanic.

There are all sorts of things in life that we do that doesn't mean we're proficient in. That's why a lot of people will say "I run" but not "I'm a runner".
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people look at it much like they would a carpenter/chef/mechanic. Just because I can nail two boards together doesn't make me a carpenter...just because I can cook dinner doesn't make me a chef...and just because I can change the oil/headlights on my car doesn't make me a mechanic.

There are all sorts of things in life that we do that doesn't mean we're proficient in. That's why a lot of people will say "I run" but not "I'm a runner".

This is a good post. I am not sure why this " I am not a runner" mindset exists, but it does. I have been running consistently for over 17 years. I have run numerous HMs, and several marathons. I have run a sub 4 hour marathon. I have been averaging between 40-60 miles per week this year. I plan to attempt to qualify for the Boston marathon next weekend. Most of my free time is spent either running, reading about running or thinking about running. People refer to me as a runner all the time and that's okay. But I still find it uncomfortable to refer to myself as a runner.
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Fair enough! Makes sense when viewed this way...
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be one of those.

I run 5k in just under 29 minutes. I run 2-3 times a week. I don't call myself a runner at the moment because I used to be a runner and for me there is a difference. I used to be able to just head off for a 2 hour run and I'd feel amazing for it. I'm struggling to build up my running fitness. Its slow work. I run but I'm not a runner, not yet. When I am running fit and can do 10k in under an hour again I'll then be a runner.

If I never get that back at least I'll be fit with running as part of my fitness programme. Sure I have a Garmin Forerunner and wont wear it until I'm "a runner" again. Silly I know.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Your post made me think of the Nike "No Games, just Sport" ad in the movie "What Women Want"

Like "running does not care if you...."

... :bigsmile:

Hehe, yeah, I actually quite like that movie, despite having a hard time watching anything with Mel Gibson in it without wanting to smash the television set. The ad campaign they created in the movie was one of the better fictional ones I've seen, and that includes everything they did on Mad Men.

(I work in advertising, by the way.)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

exactly.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For a long time, I didn't consider myself a "runner," but I'm slowly coming to the realization that I am, in all senses of the word.

- I run.
    - I've been running regularly for over 3 years.
    - I run 3-4 times a week.
    - I run up to 10 miles at a time. I track my pace and can feel if I'm off the pace I'm trying to achieve.
    - I've run in organized races.
    - I have running goals.
    - I enjoy running. I genuinely take pleasure in the sheer act of quickly placing one foot in front of the other.

Really, though, the first part is all that matters. If you run, you are a runner. The rest is just fluff.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

exactly.

Bu those things take skill and training. By definition, when you participate in the act of running, you are a runner.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a "runner" because although I run fairly frequently, I hate every minute of it. lol.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I think anybody who runs, even if just once in a while and very slowly, can call themself a runner. Whether they do or not is up to them and my guess is it probably has something to do with whether it is purely exercise to them or something of a hobby. At least that is the case for me.

I didn't call myself a runner for a long time because I was just doing it for exercise. But eventually I started to view running as it's own activity and worth doing for reasons other than just health. I have running goals now which aren't necessarily important to fitness (though achieving them will mean I have gotten fitter). And I sometimes even enjoy it while doing it and always enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get when I finish a run. I find myself reading more about it, and more and more see it as a sport or leisure activity I participate in and not just something I need to do to be healthy.

So while I do consider myself a runner now, mentally I still segment and consider myself a runner with a lowercase "r", or a recreational runner. I still reserve Runner with a capital R for the serious runners, those who are much more accomplished than I am...the people who run almost every day, are often training for a race, have more structured running schedules, higher mileage, etc.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

exactly.

Bu those things take skill and training. By definition, when you participate in the act of running, you are a runner.

What skill does it take above normal to cook, drive, or nail boards together? I play football with my family on thanksgiving, I am not a football player. Just participating in an event does not mean you move from a verb to a noun (I am playing football vice I am a football player).

All that being said it really depends on what you feel like calling yourself.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Imo, if you're doing it regularly then you're (insert noun here). I play pick up soccer games on the weekend regularly, therefore I'm a soccer player albeit an amateur. I make furniture out in my shop therefore I'm a carpenter again an amateur but a carpenter nonetheless. So, if a person is running regularly, then I certainly consider them a runner. I lift weights 4x a week and consider myself a weightlifter though I never plan to become competitive.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Imo, if you're doing it regularly then you're (insert noun here). I play pick up soccer games on the weekend regularly, therefore I'm a soccer player albeit an amateur. I make furniture out in my shop therefore I'm a carpenter again an amateur but a carpenter nonetheless. So, if a person is running regularly, then I certainly consider them a runner. I lift weights 4x a week and consider myself a weightlifter though I never plan to become competitive.

Yep, pretty much this. I guess it comes down to frequency and intent. If you're doing it regularly and on purpose, you qualify. Whether you're a good carpenter or a bad football player just comes down to training and skill.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    When is one considered a runner? Or rather when would you consider yourself a runner?

I consider anyone who has either succeeded in sh*tting themselves in the middle of a run, or at least been forced to pull over and take care of the problem behind a bush, to be a real runner. Until you have that experience, I am not sure I can call you a "real runner" yet.

;)

I have lost enough socks and sleeves to qualify.