Trainer says no complex carbs post workout

Options
Can anyone explain? I will ask him tomorrow during our session but it's seriously been bugging me all weekend.

Replies

• baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Idk you should def ask him. A lot of people think you need more protein after a workout than carbs, but depending on what you are doing you may need more carbs - especially if you're doing cardio. If you are weight lifting you may need more protein to help your muscles repair but I don't think you should cut out carbs completely as they are your body's main source of energy... There are many vegan body builders anyway and vegans eat tons of carbs so I doubt it's really needed to cut out carbs after working out...
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    He said I can have simple carbs only immediately after the workout if I trained hard enough (weightlifting) but complex carbs was a nono. But if I workout in the morning then no carbs all day?? That can't be right.. he did explain it but there's so much science that goes into it that it went all over my head.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If anything, its carbs that are low in fructose as its the slowest absorbing carbs. The idea of post workout carbs is to restore glycogen and spike insulin to uptake protein to maximize recovery.
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's because of the insulin response complex carbs give you. Complex carbs have a low GI which gives you a low insulin response. That low response tells your body it doesn't need to store as much energy . High GI will give you a big insulin response and tell your body to store. When trying to gain weight you want a big insulin response to store more calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to gain weight/muscle then you want to eat carbs because of the insulin spike. Also, focus more on getting in your calories and hitting micros/macros, rather then what you eat post workout, as that is overrated.

also, your trainer sounds like he is leading you into the world of broscience...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you are trying to gain weight/muscle then you want to eat carbs because of the insulin spike. Also, focus more on getting in your calories and hitting micros/macros, rather then what you eat post workout, as that is overrated.

also, your trainer sounds like he is leading you into the world of broscience...

This. There are a few reasons provided above, but my guess is that is not his reasoning unless you are fine tuning your last percentage point or two of body fat. My guess is he's repeating something he's heard is bad and thinks you will gain fat.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    He said I can have simple carbs only immediately after the workout if I trained hard enough (weightlifting) but complex carbs was a nono. But if I workout in the morning then no carbs all day?? That can't be right.. he did explain it but there's so much science that goes into it that it went all over my head.

I think you may be getting the wrong end of the stick here.

I presume your trainer is saying that simple carbs are more beneficial directly following an intense workout than complex carbs (I'm guessing the logic is to restore glycogen and glucose back into the body and combat cortisol production) rather than you can't eat carbs at all.

I wouldn't stress about it. It's not a major thing which can derail your efforts but rather an attempt to optimise your routine which has marginal benefits.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Also to add, so many other things need to be on point before you should worry about nutrition timing. So i would even worry about it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I'll go one further.......................you really DON'T need a post workout meal. If it's your preference, then fine. However the post workout meal of protein and simple carbs isn't going to significantly make a difference. Even with elite athletes, it's just a small advantage nutrition wise.
    Most of it is broscience brought on they the bodybuilding community and trainers who are only echoing what they believe to be true, but not as much scientific support to back it.
    If weight loss is your goal, then save the calories for something else, again unless it's your preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Your trainer sounds like he's full of complex bovine excrement. Ask him to guide you to the research he's obviously quoting from...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - just to clarify what are your goals...bulk, lose weight, recomp, etc?
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit, you don't need to worry too much about whether they are the type of calories your body is going to want to burn or store. You don't store calories in a deficit because there is nothing extra to store. You are doing the opposite, pulling energy from your fat store to make up the difference in what you are eating and what you need.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Would my

I told him I want to gain muscle mass. So I have to eat 6 times a day (4oz of protein at least at each meal) and carbs + veggies. (I asked him why veggies were not in the carbs section but again, a lot of science in his amswer). I can have veggies all day long (sarcastic yay) but complex carbs only the time before a workout, not afterwards. Simple carbs only immediately after a good workout. Absolutely no bread, no milk, no processed deli (or food in general), and a gallon of water a day. I like my trainer and trust him with what he is wanting to do but this is the only confusing part that my head is not wanting to understand. What is bro science?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Would my

I told him I want to gain muscle mass. So I have to eat 6 times a day (4oz of protein at least at each meal) and carbs + veggies. (I asked him why veggies were not in the carbs section but again, a lot of science in his amswer). I can have veggies all day long (sarcastic yay) but complex carbs only the time before a workout, not afterwards. Simple carbs only immediately after a good workout. Absolutely no bread, no milk, no processed deli (or food in general), and a gallon of water a day. I like my trainer and trust him with what he is wanting to do but this is the only confusing part that my head is not wanting to understand. What is bro science?

Standard regurgitated garbage nutritional advice demonizing foods that are high in nutrients like whole grains, milk, dairy etc. He stuck you on a copy/paste meal plan.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Would my

Standard regurgitated garbage nutritional advice demonizing foods that are high in nutrients like whole grains, milk, dairy etc. He stuck you on a copy/paste meal plan.

co-sign

OP if you want to gain some muscle mass here is my advice.

Do you know your current body fat %? I ask because you may want to cut down a little before bulking, but your answer will determine that.

Eat in a 250 calorie surplus.
    set macros to .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; fats at .45 grams, and fill in rest with carbs.
    get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner, etc.
    Make sure that you get adequate nutrition = fish, chicken, rice, vegetables; however, there is nothing wrong with filling in your day with calorie dense foods like ice cream, bagels, cookies, etc.

are you new to lifting?
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Would my

co-sign

Do you know your current body fat %? I ask because you may want to cut down a little before bulking, but your answer will determine that.

set macros to .6 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; fats at .45 grams, and fill in rest with carbs.
    Make sure that you get adequate nutrition = fish, chicken, rice, vegetables; however, there is nothing wrong with filling in your day with calorie dense foods like ice cream, bagels, cookies, etc.

are you new to lifting?

About 5 months in so yes. At first I ate, then I did IIFYM, then I binged because of the ability to fit in my fave foods (I took it too far), then I did intuitive eating, then I binged again, and then I figured I was missing something so I gave up on everything and just hired a trainer. I'm currently reading the links given on this thread!! I really hope that one day this all will make sense. The food part, not the workout part.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Would my

co-sign

are you new to lifting?

About 5 months in so yes. At first I ate, then I did IIFYM, then I binged because of the ability to fit in my fave foods (I took it too far), then I did intuitive eating, then I binged again, and then I figured I was missing something so I gave up on everything and just hired a trainer. I'm currently reading the links given on this thread!! I really hope that one day this all will make sense. The food part, not the workout part.

Btw the little machine you hold out in front of you said I was 19.5 % body fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Would my

co-sign

are you new to lifting?

Btw the little machine you hold out in front of you said I was 19.5 % body fat.

those are usually not that accurate. Would you mind posting some pictures in here so that we can try to give you an estimate? Something that shows your front flexed and unflexed would suffice...

as far as the eating issue, when you were having the binge issue were you using a food scale and tracking everything and logging on MFP? I ask because maybe it would help you if you were tracking/weighing all of your intake..
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Would my

Pretty much everything your trainer told you is broscience. # of meals is completely irrelevant.... it doesnt affect loss or gain. I prefer 3 larger meals than 6 meals a day. Timing of nutrients is pretty much irrelevant unless you are in elite levels. Some newer research would suggest getting some protein and carbs 2 hours before or after training but more research is needed. There is nothing wrong with any of those foods. All of those foods can be consumed in an effective bulk.

What kind of program does your trainer have you on?