Trainer says no complex carbs post workout

Options
2»

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

What kind of program does your trainer have you on?

squat-bosu-ball.jpg

^Anyone wanna bet?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Would my
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - just to clarify what are your goals...bulk, lose weight, recomp, etc?

I told him I want to gain muscle mass. So I have to eat 6 times a day (4oz of protein at least at each meal) and carbs + veggies. (I asked him why veggies were not in the carbs section but again, a lot of science in his amswer). I can have veggies all day long (sarcastic yay) but complex carbs only the time before a workout, not afterwards. Simple carbs only immediately after a good workout. Absolutely no bread, no milk, no processed deli (or food in general), and a gallon of water a day. I like my trainer and trust him with what he is wanting to do but this is the only confusing part that my head is not wanting to understand. What is bro science?
    To gain muscle you need to really only do a few basic things:

Eat a calorie surplus with enough protein
    Lift with progressive resistance and a good amount of volume ( at least 4-5 sets per exercise)
    Get enough rest for muscle to rebuild

You don't need to eat several meals, however for some they do, to get in the amount of calories for surplus. Carbs ARE needed to to sufficiently build muscle. A ketogenic diet won't do it well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The links previously provided are the hows and why's of nutrient timing; I think it's a little bit beyond what you need right now (except realizing that it doesn't really matter right now at your level).

Instead, I'd start here with the basics of bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to spike insulin, then you want fast carbs like dextrose, otherwise slow carbs or no carbs are fine.