Metabolism is shot.... Best vitamins?

Options
For years I have had poor eating habits... I'll skip breakfast, skip lunch, eat a bag of crisps late afternoon followed by a meat and veg dinner and probably pudding! Mix this with driving a lot, not drinking more than one glass of water a day and not much exercise... And I think my metabolism is at a stand still.

I've started morning swimming, will be getting into exercise classes..: but what can I take to kick start my metabolism?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    If you have problems with your metabolism then you need to visit a doctor.

To suffer from appreciable metabolic damage you have to inflict some serious dietary and nutritional damage to yourself, not do what you have listed above.

However I'd hazard a guess that you don't, as you'd be ill or dead. If your metabolism was at a stand still, you'd certainly be dead.

In answer to your question there is nothing you can take to kickstart your metabolism, nor is anything required.

Eat at a calorie deficit.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is working like everyone else's, unless you suffer from a metabolic disorder, in which case you would be experiencing symptoms. If you suspect this is the case and have weird symptoms you cannot explain, then you need to talk to a dr. Metabolism is not something that can be kick started, because it has never stopped.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    chels1605 wrote: »
    For years I have had poor eating habits... I'll skip breakfast, skip lunch, eat a bag of crisps late afternoon followed by a meat and veg dinner and probably pudding! Mix this with driving a lot, not drinking more than one glass of water a day and not much exercise... And I think my metabolism is at a stand still.

I've started morning swimming, will be getting into exercise classes..: but what can I take to kick start my metabolism?

It is totally 100% to skip meals. Some people doing "Intermittent Fasting"only eat during a 6 hour time block of the 24 hour day-- we call it 18:6.
    Eat less than you have been doing so that you can lose weight.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Skipping meals has not damaged u our metabolism unless you also combined it with a very low calorie intake as well (but then you would have been losing weight). Eat at a deficit. There are some things that can boost metabolism, but the ones that actually work are illegal because they are very dangerous and cam damage your heart.

The easiest thing to do to increase you metabolism is to increase your activity. Go to the bathroom on a different floor at work, park farther from the store, and of course incorporate more exercise into your day, even if it's just walking.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is not shot.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    chels1605 wrote: »

You are already doing it. Exercise is the best way to improve metabolic rate.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    LOL! I think everybody who has ever dieted wants to believe there's something wrong with their metabolism! Unless you have a diagnosed medical condition like hypothyroidism or PCOS it's unlikely there's anything wrong with yours.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is actually higher now than it was when you weighed less. It is not the cause of you issues.
    Thielecke, J. Möseneder, A. Kroke, K. Klipstein-Grobusch, H. Boeing and R. Noack. Determination of total energy expenditure, resting metabolic rate and physical activity in lean and overweight people. Zeitschrift für Ernährungswissenschaft Vol. 36, No. 4, December 1997 P310-312

Summary: A new2H/1H and18O/16O equilibration device was tested, standardized and employed for the determination of total energy expenditure. It was shown that overweight men and women have increased resting metabolic rate as well as increased total energy expenditure when compared to their lean counterparts. The physical activity level (PAL)index was slightly decreased which possibly suggests a decreased physical activity in obese people.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You're on the right track with exercising again :)

It's doubtful you truly damaged your metabolism, but if you are convinced this is the case, have your doctor verify it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGLwzbvx4S4

https://youtu.be/eTr1JUvEiUU
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I suspect the best vitamin in this case is exercise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I suspect the best vitamin in this case is exercise.

Well said :)
  • broncos1982
    broncos1982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. Your body however is probably retaining any calories and water it gets. You need to start by drinking at least 1 to 2 quarts of water a day. In the morning you might try something like a granola bar since you'll want some carbs for the energy. Or you could do something like oatmeal, turkey bacon, ect.

There is no "kick starting" your metabolism, weight gain/loss is strictly calories in vs calories out. Start tracking your calories and after two weeks see where you're at.

This is a great place to start reading about how many calories you need: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

• dewd2
    Options
    Your metabolism is fine. Your body however is probably retaining any calories and water it gets. You need to start by drinking at least 1 to 2 quarts of water a day. In the morning you might try something like a granola bar since you'll want some carbs for the energy. Or you could do something like oatmeal, turkey bacon, ect.

There is no "kick starting" your metabolism, weight gain/loss is strictly calories in vs calories out. Start tracking your calories and after two weeks see where you're at.

This is a great place to start reading about how many calories you need: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

References (besides a body building forum)?
  • broncos1982
    edited October 2015
    Options

Which part?

• dewd2
    Options

Which part?

Retaining calories and water, amount of water and reason why a granola bar (or similar) is better in the morning.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale, avoid crash diets that can lead to increased muscle loss (which will affect your BMR a bit) and log everything.
  • broncos1982
    edited October 2015
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Which part?

Retaining calories and water, amount of water and reason why a granola bar (or similar) is better in the morning.

The granola bar was just because of carbs. (it can really be any type of carb, but that's purely for quick energy)

As far as retaining calories when you drop your calories too low: http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

As far as water retention: https://8fit.com/blog/glycogen-gluconeogenesis-and-water-weight/

The water retention is also due to low amount of water being drunk and mostly carbs/salt being eaten.
    These studies are also on WebMD.

Also Alan Aragon has loads of information on his website (http://alanaragon.com/), he believes in a science based approach to fitness.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Which part?

The granola bar was just because of carbs. (it can really be any type of carb, but that's purely for quick energy)

As far as retaining calories when you drop your calories too low: http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

As far as water retention: https://8fit.com/blog/glycogen-gluconeogenesis-and-water-weight/

The water retention is also due to low amount of water being drunk and mostly carbs/salt being eaten.
    These studies are also on WebMD.

Water retention due to carbs is because carbs are stored in the muscles as glycogen. Glycogen requires water for storage which is why it is often referred to as water weight. If you are eatin lower amounts of carbs then eat more than usual, you will see a spike in the scale. You see the reverse when people drastically cut carbs, their glycogen stores drop, releasing water and the scale drops.
    It doesn't matter how much water you drink, your body will just take water from other parts of your body to do this. Body builders often use this to "dry out" for competition. They will cut carbs really low, do workouts to deplete glycogen, then start eating lots of carbs but not drink water.

Dehydration can lead to water retention as well, although not the same as above, which is why it is recommended to drink water.

A granola bar for breakfast would be a terrible choice for me. I'd be hungry a half hour later. I need protein and fat to be satiated.

You don't retain calories. That just doesn't happen. Typically what you are seeing is the water weight fluctuations.

OP - your metabolism is likely just fine. If it stopped you wouldn't be here. No need for fancy vitamins or anything.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should see your doctor when beginning a weight loss journey. While there, you can discuss your metabolism. He will run blood and if you have deficiencies, he will tell you what to take.

Swimming will help so much. There is no better exercise to burn calories. You might be tired for a week or two, but then I think you'll find that you have more energy. It's great cardiovascular exercise and provides resistance at the same time. If you flip over and swim on your back, as well, you'll work all the muscles. There just isn't better exercise than swimming, IMO.

Eat healthy foods to give you all the vitamins and minerals you need. Swim. You'll lose weight. :)