Metabolism is shot.... Best vitamins?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You should see your doctor when beginning a weight loss journey. While there, you can discuss your metabolism. He will run blood and if you have deficiencies, he will tell you what to take.

Swimming will help so much. There is no better exercise to burn calories. You might be tired for a week or two, but then I think you'll find that you have more energy. It's great cardiovascular exercise and provides resistance at the same time. If you flip over and swim on your back, as well, you'll work all the muscles. There just isn't better exercise than swimming, IMO.

Eat healthy foods to give you all the vitamins and minerals you need. Swim. You'll lose weight. :)

Hmm. Why is swimming better than say running, or strength training? Because there is no bone strengthening component to it, I would even say it's less than optimal. Unless you are injured of course. Best way to improve your metabolism, bar none, is to increase your muscle -- so strength training.

BUT why does everyone want to increase their metabolism? So they can spend more on groceries? I have to assume that if my metabolism increased my appetite would increase with it. No free lunches.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a doctor's diagnosis or a cash offer from the glue factory, I think your metabolism is still kicking.
    Look up a TDEE calculator, weigh and log all food and drink, and have a deficit and you'll see weight loss at a normal rate over time - water weight will fluctuate day to day confusing your measuring.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You should see your doctor when beginning a weight loss journey. While there, you can discuss your metabolism. He will run blood and if you have deficiencies, he will tell you what to take.

Swimming will help so much. There is no better exercise to burn calories. You might be tired for a week or two, but then I think you'll find that you have more energy. It's great cardiovascular exercise and provides resistance at the same time. If you flip over and swim on your back, as well, you'll work all the muscles. There just isn't better exercise than swimming, IMO.

Eat healthy foods to give you all the vitamins and minerals you need. Swim. You'll lose weight. :)

Hmm. Why is swimming better than say running, or strength training? Because there is no bone strengthening component to it, I would even say it's less than optimal. Unless you are injured of course. Best way to improve your metabolism, bar none, is to increase your muscle -- so strength training.

BUT why does everyone want to increase their metabolism? So they can spend more on groceries? I have to assume that if my metabolism increased my appetite would increase with it. No free lunches.
    I don't consider strength training as exercise. Technically, I suppose it is, but when I talk "exercise" I mean "of the cardio variety."

Swimming absolutely provides resistance and any resistance can't hurt the bones. It works all the muscles in a way that running (or any other exercise) will not and also burns more calories. It will build muscle, but not in the way that weight-lifting will. If the goal is Big Muscles, weight lifting is for sure the best way to get there.

Weight lifting is good for us for other reasons, too. I don't even want Big Muscles and I do it. If one wants to be as healthy as possible, one will do both the resistance and the cardio.

I'm not down on other exercises. I'm just very pro on swimming. :)
  • goldthistime
    Options

I don't consider strength training as exercise. Technically, I suppose it is, but when I talk "exercise" I mean "of the cardio variety."

Swimming absolutely provides resistance and any resistance can't hurt the bones. It works all the muscles in a way that running (or any other exercise) will not and also burns more calories. It will build muscle, but not in the way that weight-lifting will. If the goal is Big Muscles, weight lifting is for sure the best way to get there.

Weight lifting is good for us for other reasons, too. I don't even want Big Muscles and I do it. If one wants to be as healthy as possible, one will do both the resistance and the cardio.

I'm going to admit to you that I have tried to add swimming to my exercise routine on several occasions (mostly when I'm injured, which happens occasionally with all those bone-strengthening impact exercises :wink: ) and just never enjoyed it. We even put in a lap pool this summer, and still meh. I'm derailing, but is swimming something you have always liked? I find myself breathless quickly, but never seem to get the same exercise-happy I get from impact exercise and strength training.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

While I agree that swimming is very good cardio it also has its drawbacks.

One...it requires access to a pool on a regular basis. Most people don't.

Two...swimming requires being able to swim. Sure anyone can learn...if they have access to a pool and if they can afford the lessons.

Three...many overweight people just won't be seen in a swimsuit.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

People like to eat food, and it's nice to not have to worry about negative changes to body composition.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

References (besides a body building forum)?

Which part?

Retaining calories and water, amount of water and reason why a granola bar (or similar) is better in the morning.

The granola bar was just because of carbs. (it can really be any type of carb, but that's purely for quick energy)

As far as retaining calories when you drop your calories too low: http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

As far as water retention: https://8fit.com/blog/glycogen-gluconeogenesis-and-water-weight/

The water retention is also due to low amount of water being drunk and mostly carbs/salt being eaten.
    These studies are also on WebMD.

Also Alan Aragon has loads of information on his website (http://alanaragon.com/), he believes in a science based approach to fitness.

I have a book on my desk right now by Alan Aragon (and Lou Schuler). I have not read it yet.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    OP, I wanted to add that although your amount of muscle is bar far the biggest factor in how "fast" your metabolism is, you can have temporary damage to your metabolism from eating a VLCD. For most people metabolism returns to normal fairly quickly once your eating returns to normal, but I have read that it can, on occasion, stay depressed for up to a year later.
  • goldthistime
    Options

People like to eat food, and it's nice to not have to worry about negative changes to body composition.

Point taken. And just to be clear, although I am not necessarily looking to increase my metabolism, I absolutely see the value (and the joy) in strength training.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

While I agree that swimming is very good cardio it also has its drawbacks.

One...it requires access to a pool on a regular basis. Most people don't.

Two...swimming requires being able to swim. Sure anyone can learn...if they have access to a pool and if they can afford the lessons.

Three...many overweight people just won't be seen in a swimsuit.

In 2009, while wearing the most hideous swimsuit available from Wal Mart, I lost 30 pounds swimming at the Y with a discounted membership.

But, ya, I already knew how to swim. Although I think many Ys do have swim lessons for adults.

When overweight, I feel less self-conscious in suits with skirts. I have this one now. Last time I looked I didn't see the exact style, but Women Within does have similar from Swim 365:

nbf017y3kkb3.jpg
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    why not just take a simple daily multi-vitamin

I agree..then go to the doctor to get a complete physical
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I'm going to admit to you that I have tried to add swimming to my exercise routine on several occasions (mostly when I'm injured, which happens occasionally with all those bone-strengthening impact exercises :wink: ) and just never enjoyed it. We even put in a lap pool this summer, and still meh. I'm derailing, but is swimming something you have always liked? I find myself breathless quickly, but never seem to get the same exercise-happy I get from impact exercise and strength training.
    Yes, I've always liked to swim.

Like all exercise, the more you do it, the more stamina you'll have. Unlike other exercise, when you notice that you're getting tired, you should take a break immediately. A runner who runs until they are exhausted sits (or falls) down. A swimmer who swims until they are exhausted drowns.

It sound ridiculous to caution people about swimming, but people don't always pay attention and people really do drown just because they ran out of energy. So, safety first! :) (Especially if you're swimming alone in your backyard.)

I'm not suggesting that you should swim. Other posters pointing out that they cannot or don't want to swim - that's cool! Don't swim! Find your thing.

If you're prone to shoulder injuries, don't add swimming. Talk about a superhighway to worsening a rotator cuff problem!

My comments were for the OP. :)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I've always like to swim. I like it even better with music.

31WQv9NXGzL._SX300_.jpg
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've always like to swim. I like it even better with music.

31WQv9NXGzL._SX300_.jpg

What brand are these headsets? I want one to use during the off-season, especially my endurance day when I'm just doing laps.