Who has done it,

how did you find the willpower,

how did you feel in the morning, and

do you do it often?

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Nope. I suggest planning your day appropriately so that you meet your calorie goals with filling foods so that you don't go to bed hungry. And if you are truly hungry, you should eat something.
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm just getting back in the swing of things...wanting to lose 50lbs by Valentine's Day 2016....I too get so hungry around 8pm-9pmish...that's my weak point...I'm trying to just chew sugarless gum and drink water around that time...So hard...hoping that my body will settle down and listen to me....I know it's mind over matter...For me...it's emotional eating....:)
  • CaliDollFace
    CaliDollFace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've mastered going to bed hungry. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the best way to beat the late-night munchies, IMO.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Half the time, yep. But I find that evening hunger is usually easier for me than morning or afternoon hunger, so it's easier to deal with it knowing that I can eat when I get up in the morning... I don't go to bed too late so worst case it's for 2 hours. On days when I'm REALLY hungry though, I'll have a snack... but it can start a slippery slope if I start eating.

Ok and I really don't feel like brushing my teeth again if I'm having another snack most of the time.

So if you can't deal with going to bed hungry, my advice is to spread out your meals more during the day so you're not hungry at night.

For your second question - it really depends. I went to bed hungry last night but I was fine not eating for an hour after I woke up this morning (I had breakfast around 7.30am). Some days I'll go to bed hungry and I'll be up starving at 6am.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bulk up your evening meal with a ridiculous amount of veg then keep drinking (water, tea, diet drinks) throughout the evening and that will stave off hunger in the early days until you adjust to new diet. I read the 5:2 diet book and it said "embrace hunger" i.e. It is not pain, just think of hunger as a sign that you are cutting calories and your body adjusting. I am not saying I fully agree with that but I have found it a helpful thought after having been eating really badly and trying to get on track again.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am hungry sometimes as well when it is bed time, especially if I did not drink enough throughout the day. Then I fill up with water and sometimes it subsides. Thirst sometimes appears to be hunger. If I feel for sweets I add fresh lemon or lime juice to the water. Sometimes I am good until the morning and sometimes I am up at zero dark thirty and starving.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Interesting....I went to be hungry on Saturday cause I had one of my teeth pulled Friday. Even though I had pain pills whatever went in my mouth had to be eaten on the opposition side....unfortnately, there is a blank spot where a molar use to be so veggies and meat weren't really an option. (Under too much stress so I grind my teeth at night...getting a dental guard to protect the rest of my teeth)

But to choose to go to bed hungry is really an act of strength and rock hard will, in my opinion.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For medical reasons, I cannot eat anything for around 2 hours before bed. Just like everything else in life, you get used to it after awhile.

I do not wake up extremely hungry, and usually only eat something very small/light until after I exercise. (Same medical reason does not allow me to exercise on a full stomach). Once again, your body gets used to it.

I guess if I had to rely on willpower and not necessity, it might be more difficult!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I went to bed hungry on Saturday because I was at a camping event where I didn't like/want the food, and I couldn't get any food I did want. I didn't like it but it was tolerable for one night. I don't recommend it. Why go to bed hungry if you don't have to do so?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Who has done it,

do you do it often?

1) rarely. I have a bad sleep if I do.
    2) I just eat something. I try and make sure I have a few calories left over for an evening snack
    3) if I go to bed hungry I am ravenous in the morning, probably not in the best of moods and I want something to eat NOW!

• davis2293
    davis2293 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm adjusting to it,it can be hard.
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go to bed hungry almost every night. I eat dinner early (usually 6pm) so by 9pm I am hungry again. So instead of worrying about snacking/cheating/binging, I just go to sleep. So now not only am I eating well, but I am also getting more sleep b/c I am going to bed earlier :) I feel great!
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Nope, I can't. I won't sleep. I hate going to bed hungry. I'd rather be hungry for a bit in the afternoon than suffer through the night. I have an open diary.
  • CLEatMoulton
    CLEatMoulton Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish there was some way to beat the way I always get hungry about eight o'clock. It does not matter how much or what time I eat, Its the time of night those craving set in, I often go to bed hungry or sometimes just give up and eat. When I am hungry Its so very hard to sleep. I am battling type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol. My doctor told me about this site. I am winning the battle however it is an up hill battle every day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Go to bed feeling hungry sometimes. Usually not actually hungry, will fall asleep and not know the difference.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I go to bed a little hungry most of the time. I find it far easier to deal with than being hungry when I'm trying to get something done during the day. I tend to eat most of my calories early in the day and have a small supper.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Who has done it,

do you do it often?

Nooo.... most of my cals are for dinner, so I won't be hungry.
    If I did go to bed hungry, I wouldn't fall asleep. I'd eventually get up and eat something.
    I wake up fine because I don't do go to sleep hungry... UNLESS, tiredness is greater than hunger - then I wake up in the morning starving. No bueno.
    Therefore, like I said, most cals - for dinner. After all, as long as you finish your day within your allotted daily calories, you'll lose weight. So it doesn't matter how you distribute your calories throughout the day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I space out my calories so I don't have to go to sleep hungry ( I prefer eating more at night so have smaller portions in the day ) I preplan my days as best as possible . if I'm ever truly 100% legit really hungry and over calories , then I eat ! Being over every now and then isn't a huge deal.
    Drinking some tea can help but if I'm truly hungry, I just eat.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer suggested having a cup of cottage cheese just before bed. Slow to digest, lots of protein and easy to digest. Beats the midnight raid.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Going to Bed Hungry...

Who has done it,

do you do it often?

I've done it.
    No willpower involved.
    I feel fine in the morning.
    Just about every day my entire life.