Going to Bed Hungry...

Options
2»

Replies

• Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I rather go to bed on a empty stomach, I sleep better. I wake up and have a protein shake every morning but I am never STARVING when I awake. I am actually more hungry in the morning when I do eat before bed...it is weird.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    So last night, I went to bed hungry. Went to my daughter's volleyball game and got back to town at 9pm. Took her to get something to eat. I was ravenous and did not have anything to snack on healthy or otherwise. We got home, and after taking care of the doggies needs, then looking in the fridge, I decided I would just go to bed hungry. Was too tired to fix anything, and just wanted to see what it was like. I walked over 16K steps yesterday, so I'm sure that contributed to my fatigue. Woke up this morning and shedded some water weight. Walked the doggies again this morning a little further than I use to...will be the game plan from now on, even jogging a bit now and then.

Going to be hungry doesn't hurt...so I will try that at least once a week.

Thanks all.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, some people lose weight with exercises. Some people lose weight by cutting down on calories or fasting. I personally employ fasting. It has been great for me. I just make sure that I often have a refeeding day to take a break mentally & to bring up my metabolism.
  • fernshire
    fernshire Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Actually, it is essential to fight those hunger pangs just before going to bed at night because that's when your body is really burning up a lot of calories. Usually, when I am adhering to my healthy lifestyle, I start getting hungry shortly before going to bed. I sleep early and when I wake up in the morning, I don't feel hungry at all.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    So last night, I went to bed hungry. Went to my daughter's volleyball game and got back to town at 9pm. Took her to get something to eat. I was ravenous and did not have anything to snack on healthy or otherwise. We got home, and after taking care of the doggies needs, then looking in the fridge, I decided I would just go to bed hungry. Was too tired to fix anything, and just wanted to see what it was like. I walked over 16K steps yesterday, so I'm sure that contributed to my fatigue. Woke up this morning and shedded some water weight. Walked the doggies again this morning a little further than I use to...will be the game plan from now on, even jogging a bit now and then.

Thanks all.

Hmm. I'm not sure whether I should be giving you a high five or not. Did you undereat in order to go to bed hungry? I go to bed a little hungry, but never ravenous. The real key to success is to eat just under your goal calories, day in and day out. No starving, no extreme measures of any sort. Big high five for the 16K steps though!

• fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, does everyone that regularly goes to bed hungry focus on carbs or proteins?

If you have an exceptionally large gap between when you usually eat dinner and when you go to bed, I'd suggest saving a couple of calories and having a high protein, high fiber snack an hour or two before bed. That way you're not going to bed on an empty stomach, but you should be satiated long enough that you don't feel hungry. A small portion of cheese or a tin of salmon or tuna and a couple of veggies (broccoli or similar), a bit of yoghurt or something?

I couldn't tell you last time I went to bed hungry to be honest, I imagine it would be horrid!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    fi_b wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, does everyone that regularly goes to bed hungry focus on carbs or proteins?

If you have an exceptionally large gap between when you usually eat dinner and when you go to bed, I'd suggest saving a couple of calories and having a high protein, high fiber snack an hour or two before bed. That way you're not going to bed on an empty stomach, but you should be satiated long enough that you don't feel hungry. A small portion of cheese or a tin of salmon or tuna and a couple of veggies (broccoli or similar), a bit of yoghurt or something?

I couldn't tell you last time I went to bed hungry to be honest, I imagine it would be horrid!

To each his own. I don't mind going to bed a little hungry. But I can't stand being hungry during the day when I am trying to concentrate or get things done. No chance I would save calories for before bed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    fernshire wrote: »
    Actually, it is essential to fight those hunger pangs just before going to bed at night because that's when your body is really burning up a lot of calories.

No... meal timing doesn't matter.
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I prefer to...I'd rather have a bigger lunch and much smaller, earlier dinner. There seems to be less of me in the AM when I do. A small glass of red wine does curb hunger, and prevent you feeling deprived.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was told meal timing has to do with insulin sensitivity & leptin.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options

Thanks all.

Hmm. I'm not sure whether I should be giving you a high five or not. Did you undereat in order to go to bed hungry? I go to bed a little hungry, but never ravenous. The real key to success is to eat just under your goal calories, day in and day out. No starving, no extreme measures of any sort. Big high five for the 16K steps though!

Not really...I ate pretty good breakfast and lunch, just didn't eat dinner which was at 700 calories. I try to spread calories out over the day, and since I'm new at this going from 3,500+ calories a day to just 1700 well, I was getting hungry at dinner and sometimes beyond. So, before last night could not fathom going to bed hungry. But yesterday, I just did not have the juice to make a meal even though the individual ingredients are there, just could not make the meal. I do not believe in frozen foods...to much sodium and I just don't feel satiated like I do with real food. Guess I'll have to invest in some cottage cheese like another member states they have sometimes. And yes the 16K steps gave me lots of bonus calories to use. I video tape at my daughter's games so I'm always standing, moving, going from one end of the court to the other, and just walking to and from the parking lot...oy veh
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    titianwasp wrote: »
    I prefer to...I'd rather have a bigger lunch and much smaller, earlier dinner. There seems to be less of me in the AM when I do. A small glass of red wine does curb hunger, and prevent you feeling deprived.

A small glass would turn into the bottle for me, unfortunately, so that is not an option for me.
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    bearondiet wrote: »
    Well, some people lose weight with exercises. Some people lose weight by cutting down on calories or fasting. I personally employ fasting. It has been great for me. I just make sure that I often have a refeeding day to take a break mentally & to bring up my metabolism.

Intermittent fasting I hear is a good part of a body's well being....it's a very disciplined practice. But I would certainly do it on weekends when I know I can control pretty much my day, and can sneak in a nap just to stop thinking about it! Plus, don't want to have to stay alert, or utilize much energy on those fasting days. I think that is what got me so tired....I walked all those steps, unintentionally, but necessary.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    fi_b wrote: »

Nope. Never.

I have some gastric reflux issues, and it is recommended that I don't eat right before bed. So I have a light snack about 2-3 hours before I go to bed ... and I'm somewhat hungry when I go to bed. Not ravenously hungry, just a bit empty and growling a little bit.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep if I'm too full. That's more of an issue than being a bit hungry when I go to bed. I generally have dinner around 430; and have a light snack around 700, and go to sleep by 10.

Digesting food while I sleep is much more disruptive to my sleep. I wake up starving in the morning everyday and just eat b'fast as soon as I get up.