tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    It's important to note that while Adderall specifically was formulated for treatment of ADHD, dextroamphetamine is a general stimulant that has been around far longer than Adderall and isn't designed specifically for its treatment. This is a common misconception.

At least 3 of your posts have started with "it's important to note..." On this thread. The fact is, you're not a doctor or an expert on pharmaceutical effects on anyone else and you need to stop doling out information about stimulants and other medications that the OP should try. This OP is already considering a ridiculous idea and does not need your help finding more ridiculous options. He needs to see a physician, not a forum.

You're right, I'm not a doctor. I definitely never claimed to be, but thanks for pointing that out. You're not a dinosaur. Now that we've stated obvious things, let's move on.

Another thing you were kind enough to point out without solicitation is that I'm not an expert in "pharmaceutical effects". This is definitely true, which is why I'm glad I also didn't claim this. However, I have personally had a decent amount of experience with the particular drug that OP was asking about. He actually said earlier in the thread that he was looking for advice specifically from people who have tried it. Maybe you missed that when you were going over my posts with a magnifying glass?

I'm not sure why this has you upset - I welcome anyone who disagrees with me to point out where and how I'm wrong. This is a discussion, not a debate. Since you were also so quick to point out that he "needs a physician, not a forum", I'm curious as to why you bothered posting? Doing so would only bump this thread higher and cause more people to offer OP advice.

Your opinion on OP's question aside, this is a forum (which you were very astute to point out). In a forum, members are supposed to weigh in. That is, in fact, the very thing they were designed for. Again, if you disagree with me, please feel free to state why and how I'm wrong. If, however, all you seem to take issue with is the way I choose to phrase my posts, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I can do for you.

I also have experience with this class of drugs - and I answered OP's questions. Regardless of when the medications were created, I explained exactly why they shouldn't be taken outside of the scope of what they are for.

It's not quite right to say these drugs were "engineered" for "the ADHD brain" (as though there were a single anatomical classic type), though. They're stimulants, they work on dopaminergic systems, they facilitate frontal processes. They have largely predictable effects, but it takes trial and error and tinkering to figure out which drug will do what in ADHD brain A (or B or C).

I really dislike the way psychiatric conditions and the drugs used to treat them are talked about in the general culture, as though the precise nature of the "imbalance" can be worked out in advance. The effectiveness of any given drug, in any given person, for any given condition is still a crapshoot, to a greater or lesser degree.

When Adderall and Ritalin et.al. are prescribed for these medically diagnosed conditions (and I do mean correctly diagnosed, not rampantly diagnosed as has occurred in some places), they are expected to work in a certain way. There are certainly different effects in different people, given that everyone's physiology is different and will respond differently, and adaptations will need to be made.
    that being said, the main point of topic here is that this class of drugs is still for a very specific use, and that use is not to 'motivate' someone who is just bored with his usual hobbies and wants a stimulant.
    These stimulants were not created to be used in the type of brain which doesn't have the chemical makeup that the ADHD patient has.

We don't know for sure that the OP doesn't have ADHD, though. I'm willing to bet there's more to his story than he's told us. You're right, though, an MD or psychologist should be able to work it out.

I just think we as a society need to be more realistic about what it is we're doing, here. There isn't a blood test to diagnose ADHD. It's a constellation of behavioural dysfunctions that have been observed over time and classed as a disorder. We have some ideas about the causes of these behavioural dysfunctions, and we have drugs that (again by observation and in accordance with the theories we have) work to help people who fit that diagnosis function better. And that's fine, I have no problem with that, I'm pragmatic. People need to function in their lives. But we don't know everything there is to know about many psychiatric disorders, that whole field is still pretty messy, and we should recognize that.

(E.g., some now think the SSRIs we thought "fixed the imbalance of serotonin" might work - when they do - via different mechanisms than we thought. How crude and simplistic an idea was that, really, as if serotonin could be isolated from the rest of that chemical soup.)

I completely agree with you. The autism scale is another example. There's no blood test to prove a person is autistic - but we do have psychological and behavioral tests that we know can prove when people are somewhere on the autism scale. ADHD has been around long enough that we know a lot more about it than we used to; I've had a lot of experience with it and know enough about the symptoms that it's pretty easily identifiable now.
    that being said I don't think the drugs work as well as they should. From my own observation, they have too much of a sedative effect, and stunt other drives, like appetite and growth. Because these drugs are available, the research isn't being done to find a better alternative.
    With all of that being said, I find it horrifying that someone would actively seek to be prescribed a medication without any type of diagnosis. the side effects alone should scare people off. (Not to mention the price!)

Agree, and I think there's probably a lot to the bolded, and especially to the bolded italics. Yes, there can't be a huge incentive to do further research when these drugs are selling so well. The side effects aren't as well advertised, it's true.

If OP is really just looking for a drug to stop being bored at home and maybe lose some weight, that's not so great, agreed. Maybe there's more to it than that, though, who knows?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'll just say that adderall would be my absolute last option due to the side effects, both short and long-term. My son is on concerta and ritalin, and they do wonders for him. He went from being a violent, obsessive uncontrollable kid who was flunking school to a kid who is pleasant to be around and gets mostly As (as well as not driving all of us in the house nuts with his ridiculousness). But i also feel like i need to worry about his weight and if a heart problem pops up later on since there doesn't seem to be a ton of long-term info on that. I reduce his dosage in the summer (which of course makes it impossible to concentrate or behave properly), but that's the only way he gains weight. He loses a significant amount every year when school starts. He says he doesn't feel right when he doesn't take it and he actually drivers himself nuts with his hyperactivity.

I've taken adderall myself, but would never do it again. Not worth it....even though i have a ton of issues. I'm certain it would help me lose weight....probably give me a heart disorder too, from the racing heart i get from it....

Best advice is, see your doctor and have a chat.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Is Adderall still legal with a prescription? I know it's not without. Did your doctor suggest you take it?

Of course it has legitimate medical use. Cocaine is used medically as well as morphine, hydromorphone, etc which are very closely related to heroin.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Experiences from people who have tried it: okay. Full disclosure: I have tried my friends ADHD medication (concerta xl), tried another friends amphetamine based diet pills ( for use on a night out at a rave) and illegal speed. All had the same effect - I had mad energy and couldn't eat but focus wasn't productive really - I went off on mad list writing trips or cleaning or dancing. The come down feels dirty and lasts for a few days. This was over 15 years ago. I certainly would not recommend it. Aside from not being that productive the come down would upset your working week. Note: for those with actual ADHD it works the opposite way and chills them out due to different brain chemistry which is how it helps them focus. It's not a drug to make regular people focus. As an ex teacher I have some training in this field and have been through the diagnosis process with someone.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes

a) Do not post messages that violate federal, state/provincial, or local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or is bound by NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
    b) Posts which promote or encourage illegal activities, including, but not limited to, use of illegal substances, violence against others, and procurement of prescription drugs without a prescription, are prohibited.
    c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.