Question for ladies over 40

Options
13»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have had those issues for most of my life. You won't magically gain weight because of menopause. Don't undereat - and that includes eating a varied diet of foods you like, enough protein and fat and fruit and vegetables - and don't keep trigger foods around.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 42, and I'm pretty sure I'm going through early menopause. Even though I haven't experienced hot flashes, a lot of other symptoms are present. I find it harder than ever to resist the sweets and high carb foods. Has this been a problem for you all? What have you guys done to help with this? It's like an irresistible urge to tear into a pack of cookies, or a bag of chips. I can't keep my hunger at bay. I'm bingeing a lot. I can't even keep my diary in good standing, because of the all out binges lately. Any suggestions would be nice. I'm getting a little tired of eggs and meat though, but I know I need to get my protein in. I just want to get full, instead of being constantly hungry or craving for sweets.

I'm 48, well into perimenopause, not particularly craving anything, and I've lost 23 kg since mid-Feb.

In the beginning, I craved potato chips, but then I checked my salt intake and it was quite low. So I started eating salted cucumber slices or a pickle each day. The potato chip craving vanished.

In the beginning, I craved bread which is not something I normally eat a lot of so I started having an extra slice about every other day or a Ryvita cracker or something, and that eased the bread craving.

If I want to have days where I feel full ... I exercise a lot, and then I eat something like a pizza or a generous helping of tacos or something. :) All within my calorie limit, of course.

I also find that lentils, whole grains, and lots of veg helps.

Regarding hot flashes ... I was having them just about every day, sometimes a few times a day. I was also experiencing several other symptoms I chalked up to perimenopause. Turns out I had a very large polyp which had to be removed and showed some signs of a really early possibility of cancer. I have to be scanned every 6 months ... next scan coming up in a couple weeks to see if I've grown another one or I'm OK.

The polyp was discovered in early December last year, I was given a special appointment with a gynecologist on Dec 23, and in surgery on Jan 12. Mid-Feb I signed on here and started to lose weight.

A month or so later, after losing maybe about 5 kg, I noticed that the hot flashes were less frequent. Another month or so and another 5 kg, and they were pretty much gone. I don't know if it was the weight loss or had something to do with that polyp, but whatever it was, things are much better now. :) I had a small one today and because they are so rare now, for a moment I wondered what on earth was going on ... then I remembered. :grin:

My takeaway from all this is ... see your Dr if you're experiencing "unusual" symptoms. Don't just assume, "Oh well, it's just perimenopause" ... and perhaps sticking with it and losing the weight just might help. :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Celene67 wrote: »
    This is my first post, had to chime in. I am experiencing the same thing as OP. Perimenopause and craving sweets like mad. Especially at night, wake up multiple times and crave, it is so weird. Cant go back to sleep and brain says SWEETS NOW!! I am not under eating by any means so its not that. Friends say they have it to, mom says it will pass.

Please read all the helpful posts in this thread so you understand that it isn't the menopause/perimenopause that is doing any of that.

I disagree. We know that PMS and periods can make many women crave sweets or other foods, so why couldn't other hormonal changes make cravings happen at times? I think things still boil down to CICO, but the actual cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations. (Isn't that also why pregnant women get strange cravings?)

As a woman, I think it's ridiculous to sit back and allow excuses to dictate how we are going to operate. If hormones are going to be the excuse, then as a woman, you pretty much are saying you have no chance at ever overriding the issues - once you start your menses. You have a monthly period for most of your life, which you want to blame for cravings, and then menopause comes along and you want to blame that too? So other than the first ten to twelve years of your life, and the last twenty, you're just going to use hormones as the excuse.
    I don't think that's valid.

I'm going to guess that you are not a big PMSer. I'm envious. Drops in estrogen hit me hard. PMS was always a big problem for me. Perimenopause was even worse. I'm on hormone replacement therapy now and if I forget to take my pill, my body reminds me in a hurry.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @goldthistime Thanks for reminding some of us that others do experience a really tough time with their periods and with menopause. Those of us who don't have much problem at all have a lot to be thankful for.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When people say they can't eat like they used to it's because they are less active and have less musculature

The cure is to move more and lift progressively heavier with a good resistance programme

This has the added benefit of going some way to helping to stabilise hormonal fluctuations

I don't discount hormones can give you weird symptoms but it is a choice how you deal with them...if you focus on forming good habits now in terms of go to foods, calories, movement and exercise then perhaps you will set yourself up for a much easier later life

I must jump in and say that I am far more active now than I was in my twenties and thirties -- by a long shot. However, I still can't eat like I used to. Menopause often changes one's metabolism. (I didn't really believe that until it happened to me. The change was undeniable and corresponded exactly with other TMI symptoms of my peri-menopause that I won't be sharing here.)

I absolutely agree that it is a choice how you deal with this, and that increased activity and attention to one's diet are the right choices to make. But, for many of us, the metabolism change is not debatable.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options

I must jump in and say that I am far more active now than I was in my twenties and thirties -- by a long shot. However, I still can't eat like I used to. Menopause often changes one's metabolism. (I didn't really believe that until it happened to me. The change was undeniable and corresponded exactly with other TMI symptoms of my peri-menopause that I won't be sharing here.)

I absolutely agree that it is a choice how you deal with this, and that increased activity and attention to one's diet are the right choices to make. But, for many of us, the metabolism change is not debatable.[/quote]

Absolutely.

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Dang, still didn't get quote thingy right.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I found trying to lose weight in perimenopause to be one of the hardest things I've ever done in regards to weight control. FINALLY that stage is over and it's easy again. I did lose then, but it was much more of a mental struggle.

I found regular aerobic exercise to be the most helpful thing. It seemed to be the best thing for controlling hormonal mood swings, which were still bad. But honestly I think I would have gained 30 lbs and maybe killed someone without it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    This is my first post, had to chime in. I am experiencing the same thing as OP. Perimenopause and craving sweets like mad. Especially at night, wake up multiple times and crave, it is so weird. Cant go back to sleep and brain says SWEETS NOW!! I am not under eating by any means so its not that. Friends say they have it to, mom says it will pass.

Please read all the helpful posts in this thread so you understand that it isn't the menopause/perimenopause that is doing any of that.

So, basically ignore all the real world examples and listen only to those that agree with you?? ::huh::
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I disagree. We know that PMS and periods can make many women crave sweets or other foods, so why couldn't other hormonal changes make cravings happen at times? I think things still boil down to CICO, but the actual cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations. (Isn't that also why pregnant women get strange cravings?)

As a woman, I think it's ridiculous to sit back and allow excuses to dictate how we are going to operate. If hormones are going to be the excuse, then as a woman, you pretty much are saying you have no chance at ever overriding the issues - once you start your menses. You have a monthly period for most of your life, which you want to blame for cravings, and then menopause comes along and you want to blame that too? So other than the first ten to twelve years of your life, and the last twenty, you're just going to use hormones as the excuse.

I'm going to guess that you are not a big PMSer. I'm envious. Drops in estrogen hit me hard. PMS was always a big problem for me. Perimenopause was even worse. I'm on hormone replacement therapy now and if I forget to take my pill, my body reminds me in a hurry.

No, you're actually wrong. Before I had a hysterectomy, I had PMDD, endometriosis, and they also found 7 fibroid tumors in my uterus. For several years, my periods were a kind of living hell of severe bloating, horrible mood swings, heavy bleeding that had me using super tampons by the box with super pads as back ups, and cramping that made me vomit and struggle to still deal with daily life. I tried different types of pills and hormones, and other procedures, before I was finally diagnosed and had the surgery that gave me relief.
    Don't make assumptions.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am making the assumption that I am perimenopausal due to feeling hormonal type moods swings only experienced in my early twenties before. I had a hysterectomy (ovaries left) at 39 so can't say for sure. I also have had a major increase in migraine and anxiety.

My eating habits were a bit out of control in terms of carbs and sugar. I decided to try and prepare myself for the coming change by eating better and trying to ensure I get adequate exercise. The initial two weeks into a healthier diet, were tough and I was craving sweet stuff. The longer I managed to stay away from sugar, the less the cravings got. The other symptoms are still there but the have significantly reduced.

I do think the menopause can increase these cravings but with some forward planning and good nutrition, they can be kept under control. I have lost a stone and feel fitter. I am now trying to maintain while sticking to my plan to eat less processed foods and refined carbs.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

No, you're actually wrong. Before I had a hysterectomy, I had PMDD, endometriosis, and they also found 7 fibroid tumors in my uterus. For several years, my periods were a kind of living hell of severe bloating, horrible mood swings, heavy bleeding that had me using super tampons by the box with super pads as back ups, and cramping that made me vomit and struggle to still deal with daily life. I tried different types of pills and hormones, and other procedures, before I was finally diagnosed and had the surgery that gave me relief.
    Don't make assumptions.

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it. Sorry to hear that. But I have to say, I'm very surprised that you suffered from PMDD and yet you disagreed strongly with the poster who said "cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations". In my experience, there has been an undeniable link.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When people say they can't eat like they used to it's because they are less active and have less musculature

The cure is to move more and lift progressively heavier with a good resistance programme

This has the added benefit of going some way to helping to stabilise hormonal fluctuations

I don't discount hormones can give you weird symptoms but it is a choice how you deal with them...if you focus on forming good habits now in terms of go to foods, calories, movement and exercise then perhaps you will set yourself up for a much easier later life

I absolutely agree that it is a choice how you deal with this, and that increased activity and attention to one's diet are the right choices to make. But, for many of us, the metabolism change is not debatable.

The decrease in TDEE that comes with ageing is about 100 calories a decade

Offsetting, or partial offsetting with focus on hypertrophy (building muscle) through progressive resistance training and eating sufficient calories is, IMHO, important as we age. Following a calorie controlled diet in defecit will deplete LBM ...

I'm merely saying that the "change in metabolism" can be ameliorated by taking appropriate measures, but that they're hard work ...just being more active is not enough
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and have been menopausal for the last two years, early menopause runs in my family and both my mum and aunt gained a lot of weight when they started their menopause at the age of 42. I am currently on HRT therapy, practicing portion control, have cut out all junk and alcohol and am working out daily but the weight just isn't coming off. Yes I have cravings for sweets and carbs but I don't give into them, I'm eating clean but the weight won't drop. *shrugs* I really don't know what the answer is. I get super tired of hearing people telling me that I'm not trying hard enough etc. etc. but my body just won't cooperate.

Ultimately all you can do is stick with your healthy eating and exercise regime and tell people who keep telling you that hormones don't matter or don't play a part in your metabolic makeup to bugger off. The weight loss industry is fkn huge and worth billions so of course people are going to tell you that you need to try harder and to stop making excuses. There's money to be made from that.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @CailleachBeara
    I notice you say 'practice portion control'.

Do you weigh all your solids, measure all your liquids, and eat to an appropriate calorie goal?

If you aren't, doing this will help you much more than all the 'clean eating', food and alcohol restricting, and exercise will.

One has to eat less than one burns to lose weight.

Just thought I would put it out there as you didn't mention calorie counting.

Cheers, h.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Don't make assumptions.

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it. Sorry to hear that. But I have to say, I'm very surprised that you suffered from PMDD and yet you disagreed strongly with the poster who said "cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations". In my experience, there has been an undeniable link.

Hormones fluctuate constantly. They're going to do that for 40+ years of every woman's life. To allow that to dictate how we're going to eat, or allow it to give us excuses or enable us to be weak - I don't agree with that. We are better than that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a little tired of eggs and meat though, but I know I need to get my protein in. I just want to get full, instead of being constantly hungry or craving for sweets.

Hormones might be a factor in there somewhere but the first culprit I think is an overly-restrictive diet/expectation. Lower your target to a pound a week and incorporate carbohydrates in to your daily meal plan.

Also, change up your protein sources for variety. Try beans, legumes, nuts, yogurt, and cheese.

Even if hormones are a factor, the solution is still the same. Brainstorm ways to restore control, evaluate, and change your strategy if something is not working.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm getting a little tired of eggs and meat though, but I know I need to get my protein in. I just want to get full, instead of being constantly hungry or craving for sweets.

Hormones might be a factor in there somewhere but the first culprit I think is an overly-restrictive diet/expectation. Lower your target to a pound a week and incorporate carbohydrates in to your daily meal plan.

Also, change up your protein sources for variety. Try beans, legumes, nuts, yogurt, and cheese.

Even if hormones are a factor, the solution is still the same. Brainstorm ways to restore control, evaluate, and change your strategy if something is not working.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131

After reading through the whole thread, this was my first thought and it still is. Eating 1200 calories per day in an attempt to lose in excess of 2 pounds per week? I'd be going a little crazy with the cravings and the binging, too. At 49, I've noticed some slight symptoms of perimenopause but no food cravings or difficulty losing weight when I want to. Of course, I'm also incredibly more active now than I was from age 30 to 45 and started a strength training program 18 months ago that has made a huge difference. I agree with those who've said that adding muscle will help combat the slowing of one's metabolism. I've living proof.

OP, ease up. Losing weight a little more slowly will not only increase your likelihood of success but also of saving your sanity. Losing too quickly results in excess muscle loss. If you think it's hard to lose weight now, keep sacrificing muscle in the name of speedy weight loss and it'll just get worse over time.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @strongcurves, I aim for 1200 calories a day. I'm short, 5'3, and 193 lbs. I try to lose at least 2lbs a week.

I'm 50, and my personal experience would point to this being the culprit, not hormones. An aggressive deficit can wear on you over time. I agree with the advice to shoot for a more moderate (and sustainable) goal. Best of luck to you!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @goldthistime Thanks for reminding some of us that others do experience a really tough time with their periods and with menopause. Those of us who don't have much problem at all have a lot to be thankful for.

+1