So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options
Caitwn
Caitwn Posts: 1,215 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know in some of the epic battles on these boards, those who prefer to lose weight via simply maintaining a caloric deficit (as opposed to following a more specific eating plan such as low-carb, high-carb, paleo, keto, or any one of several other choices) get accused of claiming that you can lose weight just fine even if all you eat is "junk" food.

The discussions seem to be never-ending. Such is the nature of diets and discussion boards.

So I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I couldn't resist posting about the following:

In September 2013, a science teacher made himself the subject of an experiment, and his students helped carry it out.

At the beginning of his experiment, he weighed 280 pounds. In six months, he lost 56 pounds by limiting his daily intake to 2000 calories and exercising 45 minutes five times a week. He significantly improved his blood labs results.

He ate his meals at McDonald's (540 meals, to be exact), and he didn't just eat salads. He ordered almost everything on the menu, and ordered fries daily.

Here's the documentary he made - "540 Meals: Choices Make the Difference":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPp27kQpkmE&feature=youtu.be

Some people are now upset with him because McDonald's has paid him to become a brand ambassador and made a teachers' discussion guide based on his video for teaching kids about healthy eating.

I won't editorialize about that either way. It'll be interesting to see how all of this turns out. He emphasizes throughout the film that the film isn't really about McDonald's. It's about teaching kids how to make healthy choices.

As for the teacher? He still eats a meal a day at McDonald's.

"I spent a half a year of my life eating nothing but Mcdonald's and I know it works so when I hear the skeptics, it doesn't disgruntle me. It actually fires me up because those are the people that I have to educate."

Regardless of where you fall on the "you can eat fast food" versus "fast food is unhealthy" spectrum, I hope you find this at least entertaining and interesting.

Replies

• franfran1821
    franfran1821 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yes i live on fast food lol
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonald's. Food is free, so yup, i eat there every day. I pick lower-calorie options (i only work during breakfast)...the biggest things i miss from my diet if i eat NOTHING but McDonald's are fruits, veggies, and protein (because i don't get a lot of protein when i eat the breakfast stuff).

I'm still losing weight...51 lbs down now..however, I'd be miserable if i couldn't eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    There's also the documentary "Fat Head" which was a rebuttal to Supersize Me. He ate McDonald's for a month and lost weight and improved his numbers.

• random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

Did you see the part about significantly improving his blood work results? What's unhealthy about losing 20% of your body weight & improving your health markers? I agree that losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same, but that's not the only metric at play here.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

Why not?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Because McDonald's food is bangin'.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I don't think most people would. This was an experiment to show that it's your choices that have the most impact on your weight. The kids who planned his meals had to make sure he was meeting all nutritional standards set by the FDA and still maintaining a deficit with only the food from McDonalds. The video says multiple times that they don't suggest anyone eat all their meals at McDonalds. It was more of a if you plan your food choices than nothing has to be off limits. It actually lines up a bit with If It Fits Your Macros line of thought. Working to meet your nutritional needs while still enjoying foods you love.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Because it works for them?

Not everyone can stick with a plan that completely changes how they normally eat.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    As long as at the end of the day you're not ending up deficient in any micronutrients (or macros, for that matter), there's absolutely nothing about eating McDonald's every day that's inconsistent with good health. McDonald's serves a variety of salads and fruits along with the traditional hyperpalatable high fat (and high protein) options.

I like my McDonald's and I eat there with the kiddos probably 2-3 times per month. Love the toys and the play space. Also love how they have detailed calorie counts on all their items too.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm certain I could eat fast food all the time, lose weight and be healthy by making careful choices. But, I'm also pretty certain that I'd spend many of those days feeling hungry quite a bit. Fast food seems to satisfy me for an hour and then I feel hungry again. I might be able to adapt after awhile but I don't think I'd want to. I'd rather eat more food for the same amount of calories.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    One problem with "eating mcdonalds" is that it is always stereotyped as "just burger, fries, high fat breakfast choices, and deserts."

One can order salads, grilled chicken, egg whites on a muffin,,etc, that are at worst in the "not bad" rhelm. There's also some fruit, milk, and healthy fats to be had if you know what to order.

To say all their food is "crap" just expresses ignorance and a lack of an open mind to the "off the menu" items that can be ordered IMO.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I'm disappointed that a teacher would suggest such a thing. Maybe, if you went to one of those McDonald's with a pasta bar and big old salad bar, you'd have a good shot at it. But not at your typical McDonald's.

Especially when dieting, eating food that's chock full of calories and pretty low on vitamins and minerals...it's not the healthiest way to go. People who aren't eating as much food as their body needs and want to do this in a healthy way should make an effort to get as many vitamins and minerals into their diets as humanly possible by eating a variety of fruits and veggies.

I hope that guy got paid a lot of money to suggest that eating McDonald's exclusively is a healthy diet.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't love the idea of marketing this to kids, but I like making the notion that you can eat what you love and still lose weight more common knowledge. If I had known this years ago I would have never gotten fat in the first place. Food shaming is just as detrimental as fat shaming when it comes to helping people actually change.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I wonder if McDonald's will pay me for eating their food weekly? And not just salads, but I have a cheeseburger every couple of days or so as a snack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Of course you can eat McDonald's and lose weight. You cannot eat McDonald's exclusively and have a healthy, well-balanced diet. I'm disappointed that a teacher would suggest such a thing. Maybe, if you went to one of those McDonald's with a pasta bar and big old salad bar, you'd have a good shot at it. But not at your typical McDonald's.

Especially when dieting, eating food that's chock full of calories and pretty low on vitamins and minerals...it's not the healthiest way to go. People who aren't eating as much food as their body needs and want to do this in a healthy way should make an effort to get as many vitamins and minerals into their diets as humanly possible by eating a variety of fruits and veggies.

I hope that guy got paid a lot of money to suggest that eating McDonald's exclusively is a healthy diet.

Did...did you even watch the video? Did you read the OP?