So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Because the food tastes disgusting? As in, does not even smell edible? It is not about price or not being "classy", I enjoy street food and I understand trying to eat as cheap as possible. But, even as a student, I would really prefer eating a bag of doritos over eating McDonalds. Obviously not because I considered them healthier, but at least they were more appealing. I have met other people feeling the same way, and I honestly think it is something about their cooking fats and how the food smells. And not all fast food places smell the same way, it is just McDonalds and also Burger King in UK (have not tried Burger King anywhere else). If someone walked into the office with McDonalds, I would have to open the windows to get in some fresh air and stop feeling nauseous.[/quote]

You say this like it is a universally agreed upon thing, but it really is not.

I do not think McDonalds looks or smells disgusting, I find it delicious and extremely appealing! I do however, really find the taste and smell of some Asian foods revolting. The smell gets right up my nose, as does the smell of tripe, which is quite popular here. No one who orders Asian food or traditional African food ever gets hassled though. No one else gets shamed for the types of bags they carry in, with the exception of McDonalds. It seems to be ok to shame McDonalds as a choice, in a way that it would be considered racist or off-color to shame other people for different foods and traditional foods that you personally don't enjoy.[/quote]

Uhm, obviously it is not universally agreed or McDonalds would not exist. But, I was replying to a post stating that the people who hate McDonalds are just snobs. I have discussed this with others, especially back when I was a student and fast food was as popular as it gets among us, and there is definitely something about McDonalds making some people literally gag. The same people having as an idea of a perfect meal sitting on a bench in the park drinking beers and eating pizza or hotdogs, so not really comparing McDonalds with fancy restaurants. I have actually never seen so many people in real life have the same gag reaction to other foods, so I really think there is something about McDonalds that just does not agree with many people sense of smell/taste. It is not about shaming others, saying to me that someone craves McDonalds is as incomprehensible as craving cat food. Which of course by itself says nothing about McDonalds nutritional value, especially compared to other foods I do enjoy. It is a natural gag reaction.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Didn't catch the before numbers, but attention to videos isn't my strong point. Massively confounded by the exercise regime of course, the thing could be titled "Exercise and hypocaloric diet helps teacher lose weight and improve health despite eating at McDonalds"
    477urd52cb2x.jpg
    Confounding what, exactly?

Your proposed title is exactly the fracking point. It's about the choices, not the vendor.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love these examples, they really stick it to the fad nutritionists peddling their snake oil.

There's a few other examples of these approaches, check out the Twinkie diet too.

I'm tempted to do a pizza, beer, and ice cream diet :-)

• LKArgh
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?

This is an interesting and I think pretty much common sense analysis: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/chewing-on-the-twinkie-di_b_782678.html
    It refers to someone trying a Twinkie based diet, but I think it is the same general idea.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Thought experiment: this happens and blood test results are still fine.

What's your conclusion?

• LKArgh
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Blood tests are still fine after a few months. What happens after years? Because long-term studies disagree that all is well after decades of eating junk food, both for health and weight:
    http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/dec2004/nhlbi-30.htm
    http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g1464
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

What's your conclusion?

Blood tests are still fine after a few months. What happens after years? Because long-term studies disagree that all is well after decades of eating junk food, both for health and weight:
    http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/dec2004/nhlbi-30.htm
    http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g1464
    They both talk about gaining weight, which doesn't happen without a calorie surplus.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    People are overly snobby about McDonalds and I have never been able to grasp why.

I eat there at least once a week, and sometimes more. I have never been able to understand why a meat sandwich made at home is supposed to be more virtuous than one that is delivered to you at speed at a drive through. Most people I know put a whole lot more mayo and certainly a thicker wedge of cheese on a sandwich they prepare themselves.

People don't get horrified when you got to a restaurant, where things are just as likely to be designed to be delicious and full of cream and fat and the portions are bigger, but when you walk into the office with a McDonalds bag, half the office huffs and puffs like you are strolling in with crack cocaine.

I personally think it is a class issue. If I got the exact same burger made by Tashas (the restaurant where rich people eat in our town), and it was called an Eu de Boef or something, everyone would be impressed with my class and style.

Even though anyone with half a brain can understand how you can fit McDonalds into your calories, you will still get responses like "why would you?" because the dislike for the idea comes from a more complicated place.

People don't want to be seen as "the sort of people" who eat at McDonalds.

Got to disagree. You can't compare a homemade burger with McDonald's. First you don't get half as much sodium at home, second you probably don't cook your burgers in oil/margarine as they do there. Already your home burger is 'healthier'.

My first reaction too was 'why would you?' but it has nothing to do with class. I still take my kids there because they like it... It's just because it just doesn't taste good for the calories (or the stuff that tastes good has too many calories for how much it fills me up). When I started losing weight, I still ate there sometimes, but after a few months I realized that I can just make something much tastier and filling for the calories at home. And yes I can say the same about most of the fast food places out there - haven't found any chain that was worth the calories. The difference with McDonald's and 'Tashas' is that you just don't find the exact same burger at Tashas. If you really can't tell the difference, your taste buds must have issues.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    oh lord. now we are going to start insulting all the foods from the different countries.
    if you dont like mcdonalds dont eat it. if you love it, eat it in moderation
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I want Burger King! :smiley:
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

oh dear no. MCdonalds all the way.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Whoppers WIN!

rmlgw1c9u7kz.jpeg
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Yes, let's turn this into a referendum on the taste of the food rather than the actual point about calories, portions, weight loss, and health. Never change, MFP. Never change.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, let's turn this into a referendum on the taste of the food rather than the actual point about calories, portions, weight loss, and health. Never change, MFP. Never change.

Except there's nothing to argue about. The only people arguing about the point being made is the people who 1) didn't watch the video, 2) didn't understand the video. The point is pretty clear that you can lose weight and meet your nutrition requirements by eating at McDonald's, but I never doubted that, personally. So, should we all spend 10 pages just saying 'oh cool you can eat at McDonald's and still be healthy!'? Now that would be boring.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

Whoppers WIN!

rmlgw1c9u7kz.jpeg

Quarter pounder with cheese. oh yes
  • LKArgh
    Options
    It is not a video made about health and weight in general. It is a video about eating McDonalds specifically. Not restaurant food, not fast food, but McDonalds. If you take McDonalds out of the thread, the thread does not exist. What is there to discuss, whether you can lose weight by monitoring calories? Or whether you can improve your health by dropping out of the obese category?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Except there's nothing to argue about. The only people arguing about the point being made is the people who 1) didn't watch the video, 2) didn't understand the video. The point is pretty clear that you can lose weight and meet your nutrition requirements by eating at McDonald's, but I never doubted that, personally. So, should we all spend 10 pages just saying 'oh cool you can eat at McDonald's and still be healthy!'? Now that would be boring.
    Hmmm...

• LKArgh
    Options
    As a side note, since the teacher in question is now in the McDonalds payroll, and his experience is used by McDonalds to sell their products, how can he prove that he was actually eating what he says he was eating? Both regarding calories and nutrition? In peer reviewed studies about nutrition, conducted by independent researchers in large populations, the researchers have to prove they were being honest. When it comes to one man's personal experience, and the material is used to promote a product, how can the honesty of this person be proven?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    People are overly snobby about McDonalds and I have never been able to grasp why.

I eat there at least once a week, and sometimes more. I have never been able to understand why a meat sandwich made at home is supposed to be more virtuous than one that is delivered to you at speed at a drive through. Most people I know put a whole lot more mayo and certainly a thicker wedge of cheese on a sandwich they prepare themselves.

People don't get horrified when you got to a restaurant, where things are just as likely to be designed to be delicious and full of cream and fat and the portions are bigger, but when you walk into the office with a McDonalds bag, half the office huffs and puffs like you are strolling in with crack cocaine.

I personally think it is a class issue. If I got the exact same burger made by Tashas (the restaurant where rich people eat in our town), and it was called an Eu de Boef or something, everyone would be impressed with my class and style.

Even though anyone with half a brain can understand how you can fit McDonalds into your calories, you will still get responses like "why would you?" because the dislike for the idea comes from a more complicated place.

People don't want to be seen as "the sort of people" who eat at McDonalds.

Bingo!