So you CAN eat McDonald's every day...

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    As a side note, since the teacher in question is now in the McDonalds payroll, and his experience is used by McDonalds to sell their products, how can he prove that he was actually eating what he says he was eating? Both regarding calories and nutrition? In peer reviewed studies about nutrition, conducted by independent researchers in large populations, the researchers have to prove they were being honest. When it comes to one man's personal experience, and the material is used to promote a product, how can the honesty of this person be proven?

I suppose he could produce receipts, but that doesn't "prove" he ate the food he bought. It isn't really a scientific study though, as we don't have any baseline data (what did he eat before) or any control - would the same result have happened eating only at Burger King or Pizza Hut, etc.

Quite a cool thing to do as a stunt and educational exercise though.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As a side note, since the teacher in question is now in the McDonalds payroll, and his experience is used by McDonalds to sell their products, how can he prove that he was actually eating what he says he was eating? Both regarding calories and nutrition? In peer reviewed studies about nutrition, conducted by independent researchers in large populations, the researchers have to prove they were being honest. When it comes to one man's personal experience, and the material is used to promote a product, how can the honesty of this person be proven?
    You're free to duplicate his experiment and see if his results can also be duplicated. That's pretty much how it works, right?

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

The story has been out since early 2014.
    From what I can find online, it looks like he wasn't on McDonalds payroll till this year which is why it's being brought up again in the news.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to?

I don't think most people would. This was an experiment to show that it's your choices that have the most impact on your weight. The kids who planned his meals had to make sure he was meeting all nutritional standards set by the FDA and still maintaining a deficit with only the food from McDonalds. The video says multiple times that they don't suggest anyone eat all their meals at McDonalds. It was more of a if you plan your food choices than nothing has to be off limits. It actually lines up a bit with If It Fits Your Macros line of thought. Working to meet your nutritional needs while still enjoying foods you love.

+1

(And I wouldn't, and wouldn't include McD's in "things I love," but it's interesting.)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think I would enjoy an all pizza diet - because the variety of toppings and bases available means you might even be able to approach healthy macros on it.

For the purposes of proving to kids that CICO works of course, not because I would have the best month of my life or anything ;)

Sadly, I think it would be very expensive.

Who wants to sponsor me????

Pizza Hut???
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm thankful for the link because my 13 year old just watched super size me at school and came home a little worried about fast food. I had to remind her that it's all about the choices we make regardless of circumstances. So this was a good thing to watch with her this morning.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is not a video made about health and weight in general. It is a video about eating McDonalds specifically. Not restaurant food, not fast food, but McDonalds. If you take McDonalds out of the thread, the thread does not exist. What is there to discuss, whether you can lose weight by monitoring calories? Or whether you can improve your health by dropping out of the obese category?

It's about making choices to meet nutritional needs even when those choices are in theory less than ideal or quite limited. Going to McD's doesn't mean you are limited to a shake and large fries, and learning how to make good choices and what foods contribute what nutritional values (as well as watching calories) is worth doing.

I have a knee-jerk negative reaction to McD's too, so this is interesting to me, although I am not going to start going to McD's. A lot of us do run into similar issues in other contexts.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful for the link because my 13 year old just watched super size me at school and came home a little worried about fast food. I had to remind her that it's all about the choices we make regardless of circumstances. So this was a good thing to watch with her this morning.

I cannot understand why teachers think that this is good science showing young minds such derp!! Super Size Me was agenda driven, nothing based on science.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Maybe y'all can fit a nice MLT into your calorie goal.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?
    Thought experiment: this happens and blood test results are still fine.

What's your conclusion?

For anyone thinking an exclusive diet of McDonald's food is good for you please message me with your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers. I know an African price that wants to deposit 1 million dollars in your account by noon tomorrow.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?

What's your conclusion?

For anyone thinking an exclusive diet of McDonald's food is good for you please message me with your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers. I know an African price that wants to deposit 1 million dollars in your account by noon tomorrow.
    Do you think losing 56 pounds and having better blood work is "good for you"?

• princessbride42
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I cannot understand why teachers think that this is good science showing young minds such derp!! Super Size Me was agenda driven, nothing based on science.

I was very disappointed in that choice the teacher made. But we do want kids to start thinking for themselves, so I thought this was a perfect counterpoint.
  • princessbride42
    Options
    Maybe y'all can fit a nice MLT into your calorie goal.

Great idea. Love those! :)
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A really interesting read, thanks for sharing!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Apparently not.
    Then there's others who basically say they don't believe him in this thread too.
    If this was someone doing a 100% meat ketogenic diet or something these people wouldn't say anything of the sorts.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

What's your conclusion?

I should have added long term to my original post. Please send the account information
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Apparently not.
    Then there's others who basically say they don't believe him in this thread too.
    If this was someone doing a 100% meat ketogenic diet or something these people wouldn't say anything of the sorts.

index.jpg
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say that I found this really interesting. I hadn't seen this before but I enjoy that a teacher really went big to get his students to understand that you can live a normal life (which for many of us includes fast food occasionally) and still make smart choices. By planning and logging meals ahead of time you can make room for the foods you love and want. I love that the focus here is on personal responsibility instead of demonizing fast food and blaming McDonalds for "making us fat". Love it.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I found this really interesting. I hadn't seen this before but I enjoy that a teacher really went big to get his students to understand that you can live a normal life (which for many of us includes fast food occasionally) and still make smart choices. By planning and logging meals ahead of time you can make room for the foods you love and want. I love that the focus here is on personal responsibility instead of demonizing fast food and blaming McDonalds for "making us fat". Love it.

Yep. What a lot of people in this thread missed (maybe they never had a great science teacher who taught them about critical thinking!) is that what he wanted to do was teach his students how to take personal responsibility to think through their choices - and that's a skill that will serve them well regardless of where they choose to eat.
    Regardless of the field in which they are making their choices. It really is undiluted awesome.