Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    random5483 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?
    Thought experiment: this happens and blood test results are still fine.

What's your conclusion?

For anyone thinking an exclusive diet of McDonald's food is good for you please message me with your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers. I know an African price that wants to deposit 1 million dollars in your account by noon tomorrow.

I think you're really missing the point. There are more nutritionally sound options to be found on the McDonalds menu, and there are some not so great nutrition wise. That being said, I feel the reason people often say things like you can't lose weight eating fast food/it's really bad for you/have to cut it out/etc etc is because many people who are overweight/obese (and let's be honest - even though all kinds of people eat at McDonalds, we're more likely to think of people who are overweight/obese being the ones who are eating there all the time) have consumption issues IN GENERAL. I know for me when I first started (and even now, sometimes) it's very much so more about how much I eat rather than whether I eat McDonalds or at home. Many people who are trying to lose weight are just learning to control their portions, and perhaps are not making the healthiest food choices over all. So they feel they have to eliminate those foods they tend to over eat on until they can either get portion control handled, or maybe forever if they have foods they simply cannot control the amount they consume.

The man dropped 50+lbs and had improved lab results from blood work - clearly he was making some nutritionally sound choices . . . it's not like your body knows OH - this salad came from McDonalds so it's not nearly as good for me as one I made at home . . . so let's store some of the fat and calories here. Your body doesn't know the difference as to where the food is made, simply what the ingredients are in it. I will say some fast food choices are loaded with way more sodium, fat, salt or calories than what we would normally make at home . . . however that's not all food items and other options are out there - we just have to choose something else.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about having a calorie deficit. Eating at McDonalds everyday and losing weight is definitely possible if you control your portions. However, I would not advise it. McDonalds is mostly unhealthy. Losing weight and being healthy are not one and the same.

His blood markers improved as well. He didn't have the student's just keep him at a calorie deficit. They had to make sure he was meeting the nutritional standards set by the FDA as well.

He lost 56 pounds of fat, I'm guessing that was a significant reason his blood test results improved. How about taking a person of a healthy BMI who is maintaining on say 2400 calories a day of nutrient dense "healthy" food and have them eat 2400 calories of McDonald's food for a few months and see what happens to their blood test results?

What's your conclusion?

For anyone thinking an exclusive diet of McDonald's food is good for you please message me with your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers. I know an African price that wants to deposit 1 million dollars in your account by noon tomorrow.

Except there's a guy here who's holding a million dollars (his blood work improved) telling everyone the instructions for getting it from the African prince, while saying he is not endorsing giving out the SSN to an African prince, just that it can be done.
    Also, instead of ominous, unidentified harm, can you name explicitly something about McDonald's food that will cause an explicit health effect?
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If nobody is doing this for Wendy's, I volunteer.

This! "I'd like french fries and a chocolate frosty, please." Every. Day.

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    People are overly snobby about McDonalds and I have never been able to grasp why.

I eat there at least once a week, and sometimes more. I have never been able to understand why a meat sandwich made at home is supposed to be more virtuous than one that is delivered to you at speed at a drive through. Most people I know put a whole lot more mayo and certainly a thicker wedge of cheese on a sandwich they prepare themselves.

People don't get horrified when you got to a restaurant, where things are just as likely to be designed to be delicious and full of cream and fat and the portions are bigger, but when you walk into the office with a McDonalds bag, half the office huffs and puffs like you are strolling in with crack cocaine.

I personally think it is a class issue. If I got the exact same burger made by Tashas (the restaurant where rich people eat in our town), and it was called an Eu de Boef or something, everyone would be impressed with my class and style.

Even though anyone with half a brain can understand how you can fit McDonalds into your calories, you will still get responses like "why would you?" because the dislike for the idea comes from a more complicated place.

People don't want to be seen as "the sort of people" who eat at McDonalds.

Well-said. McDonald's has the same stigma in the US as well, especially here in Northern California.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

What's your conclusion?

Except there's a guy here who's holding a million dollars (his blood work improved) telling everyone the instructions for getting it from the African prince, while saying he is not endorsing giving out the SSN to an African prince, just that it can be done.
    Also, instead of ominous, unidentified harm, can you name explicitly something about McDonald's food that will cause an explicit health effect?

Here are a few articles:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/statistics-health-risks-eating-fast-food-3290.html
    http://www.healthline.com/health/fast-food-effects-on-body
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I found this really interesting. I hadn't seen this before but I enjoy that a teacher really went big to get his students to understand that you can live a normal life (which for many of us includes fast food occasionally) and still make smart choices. By planning and logging meals ahead of time you can make room for the foods you love and want. I love that the focus here is on personal responsibility instead of demonizing fast food and blaming McDonalds for "making us fat". Love it.

Yep. What a lot of people in this thread missed (maybe they never had a great science teacher who taught them about critical thinking!) is that what he wanted to do was teach his students how to take personal responsibility to think through their choices - and that's a skill that will serve them well regardless of where they choose to eat.

I am not really sure how this has anything to do with McDonalds. If he wanted to teach about responsibility (which is NOT part of a science class btw) he could have found hundreds of other examples. If he wanted to make it about nutrition, or plain and simple calories, he could have again made the same experiment by asking the students to help him make up a more generic plan, or even a junk-food based plan not tied ot a specific brand. The whole thing revolving around McDonalds and ending up with a video McDonalds are using to promote their products and as a counter-argument to Supersize Me, I am not sure this is really promoting anything other than McDonalds. My first thought when I saw this was "How much did he get out of it?". If the students did not ask themselves first the same question when the whole thing was planned, I think the lesson in critical thinking in this school needs definitely to be taught again ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/statistics-health-risks-eating-fast-food-3290.html

The first article talks about risks that were specifically eliminated in this individual's case (his weight went down, his blood work improved). The second has lots of words like "suggest" and "may."

Do you really think this individual is worse off than he was before beginning his experiment?
  • LKArgh
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

The first article talks about risks that were specifically eliminated in this individual's case (his weight went down, his blood work improved). The second has lots of words like "suggest" and "may."

Do you really think this individual is worse off than he was before beginning his experiment?

Hmm, several studies by drs, in large groups, over several years. Verifying pretty much what we all see each day.
    One guy's, on McDonald's payroll, personal testimony on how he had a positive health outcome, in a few months.
    Whom to trust, what to believe...
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Big brand fast food is great, they have calorie counts for their products.
    I wish all restaurants had this. Maybe I'd eat out more.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Just popping in to say that I found this really interesting. I hadn't seen this before but I enjoy that a teacher really went big to get his students to understand that you can live a normal life (which for many of us includes fast food occasionally) and still make smart choices. By planning and logging meals ahead of time you can make room for the foods you love and want. I love that the focus here is on personal responsibility instead of demonizing fast food and blaming McDonalds for "making us fat". Love it.

Yep. What a lot of people in this thread missed (maybe they never had a great science teacher who taught them about critical thinking!) is that what he wanted to do was teach his students how to take personal responsibility to think through their choices - and that's a skill that will serve them well regardless of where they choose to eat.

I am not really sure how this has anything to do with McDonalds. If he wanted to teach about responsibility (which is NOT part of a science class btw) he could have found hundreds of other examples. If he wanted to make it about nutrition, or plain and simple calories, he could have again made the same experiment by asking the students to help him make up a more generic plan, or even a junk-food based plan not tied ot a specific brand. The whole thing revolving around McDonalds and ending up with a video McDonalds are using to promote their products and as a counter-argument to Supersize Me, I am not sure this is really promoting anything other than McDonalds. My first thought when I saw this was "How much did he get out of it?". If the students did not ask themselves first the same question when the whole thing was planned, I think the lesson in critical thinking in this school needs definitely to be taught again ;)
    That he could have done it differently doesn't remotely mean that the way he did do it was invalid.

At the time, he got nothing out of it. But let's say he did: how does that make what he did wrong, invalid, or otherwise inapplicable, short of accusations of lying. Are you implying that he's lying?

ETA: And it really isn't about McDonalds, per se. It's about eating in a caloric deficit and meeting nutritional guidelines. Which, despite claims to the contrary, can be done at McDonalds and probably many fast food places, if someone so chooses.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't eat fast food very often since moving out of the city and now the nearest fast food place being a 20 minute drive away.

But when I do eat fast food, it's a last minute thing and not pre-planned, so I've ordered just a sandwich, or just a salad, or just a kid's meal.

What I wanted to order vs. what I do order always leave me worrying that I'm going to be so hungry and unsatisfied soon afterwards. But the opposite is what has always held, what I typically view as something small to tide me over ends up being much more filling for much longer time than I'd have expected. Making me very glad I practiced restraint.

I used to order multiple value meals and sides from McDonald's (and other fast food places) back in the day. Eating it all in one sitting with the intention of getting so full I'd be sick. It would be laughable if I blamed McD's food for my girth instead of blaming my own choices when I ordered off their menu.

Reinforcing the idea of personal responsibility rather than pointing the finger at some external culprit for all my woes has been invaluable to me. As someone said earlier in the thread, teaching kids how to navigate in the world they find themselves, which includes the near-omnipresent McDonald's, and make smart choices even when their environment isn't always the ideal, is valuable. Far more valuable than scapegoating McDonald's has been from the likes of Morgan Spurlock, imo.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

Hmm, several studies by drs, in large groups, over several years. Verifying pretty much what we all see each day.
    One guy's, on McDonald's payroll, personal testimony on how he had a positive health outcome, in a few months.

So you think this story is made up? Why -- just because it's atypical for someone to lose weight and experience improved blood test results while eating fast food regularly? All he did was implement calorie counting with a specific set of foods.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Agreed. I feel like making decisions about what I eat is much easier now that I've spent a long time becoming informed about nutrition and foods; I feel like if I had started earlier truly understand the why (and not just "eat your vegetables") I could have started this a long time ago.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

The studies you linked earlier don't say what you claim and don't even address what this guy did. Do you have any that are more relevant?

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is entirely possible to eat at McDonald's and maintain a caloric deficit and even eat nutritious meals.

But you have to know what you are doing and pay attention to what you are eating.

Most people just go into a fast food restaurant and pick one of the top 4 value meals and call it good. Maybe throw in a desert to go with it. Now you're looking at a 1200 calorie meal for just one of the day's 2-3 meals.

It's like going to a bar and drinking soda water. Yes, absolutely without a doubt it can be done. It's not what most people do, though.
  • senecarr
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

They're all associations based on people eating fast food, and going on about the number of calories. That isn't an explicit thing in all of McDonald's causing an explicit effect. It all depends on eating over calories. You can get similar, if not worse health effects, eating 4000 calories a day of only organic vegetables.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Yes, it is entirely possible to eat at McDonald's and maintain a caloric deficit and even eat nutritious meals.

But you have to know what you are doing and pay attention to what you are eating.

Most people just go into a fast food restaurant and pick one of the top 4 value meals and call it good. Maybe throw in a desert to go with it. Now you're looking at a 1200 calorie meal for just one of the day's 2-3 meals.

It's like going to a bar and drinking soda water. Yes, absolutely without a doubt it can be done. It's not what most people do, though.
    Apparently, a lot of people don't do it in the the grocery store, either. Right?
  • senecarr
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

Doesn't matter who endorses him, the science is the science. Follow the money reasoning is a poor heuristic often applied when people want to argue against the science but don't actually understand it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

Is the concept of being able to improve your health by not being obese anymore regardless of how you achieved it that hard to grasp?
  • LKArgh
    edited October 2015
    Options

What's your conclusion?

Here are a few articles:

Doesn't matter who endorses him, the science is the science. Follow the money reasoning is a poor heuristic often applied when people want to argue against the science but don't actually understand it.

I am pretty sure that there are very few people on this forum who understand science as well as I do, so you are not talking about me ;)

If the point of the experiment was to show that eating less calories results in weight loss, yes, this was of course a valid point. No one on their right mind would argue with this.
    If the point was to show that no longer being obese will result in improved health, again, it is nothing to debate about.
    But what will the average person with poor eating habits get out of the whole thing? Something like the title of this thread. That eating at McDonalds daily can actually be good for you.
    A conclusion associated with the brand, based on a sort term, not scientifically proven, experiment, of one man, over a sort period, with carefully planning choices. So, no, I do not think this is science. It is advertisement disguised as science. It could also have been a very good example to teach kids what a scientific study should not look like, especially when it comes to conclusions. But science, it is not.