Why are my hamstrings permanently sore and tight?

Options
drewlfitness
drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
It seems that whenever I do ANY type of workout that involves my legs, my hamstrings become extremely sore and tight for days and days following the workout. I have done increased stretching on my hamstrings, but that only seems to provide temporary relief, specifically only while the actual stretching is taking place. My hamstrings tighten back up almost immediately.

I have learned to basically deal with this (which is basically like living in partial pain), because nearly everything involves legs (except for those stationary machines where you sit and exercise upper body), and I don't want to just not be able to workout the compound lifts that I like to do such as squat, deadlift, bench, etc. Even if I don't do compound lifts and instead use the hamstring curl machine, the same thing occurs.

My legs are pretty gigantic, muscularly speaking (not fat). Maybe just having lots of muscle means more pain? I have tried the method of taking a week away from the gym (actually 10 days), but my hamstrings remained tight for the entire time off and seemed to never loosen up.

Has anyone experienced this and found a way to reduce the tightness? Perhaps some type of vitamin supplements are needed for people with a lot of muscle on their legs? I drink lots of water and eat well, for the most part.

Thanks.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Some people just carry stress and also experience lactic acid buildup in some muscle groups other than others. My husband is the same way-- its his hammies that seem to take the brunt of all his exercise.

In addition to stretching before and after exercising, he has incorporated some regular hamstring stretches into his regular routine. For example, he keeps a block on the floor in front of the bathroom sink so he can stand with his toes on the block and his heels on the floor while brushing his teeth every morning and every night.

He also has a love-hate relationship with yoga stretches that focus on the hamstrings (hate because it hurt like hell at first, but love because it seems to do some good!) Check out: http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2015/04/this-yoga-sequence-will-loosen-up-insanely-tight-hamstrings/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How often are you doing workouts that focus on your legs? What exercises do you normally do? Outside of some sort of medical/physical malady, my very basic suggestion would be to work your legs more often.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I assume they are sore from strength workouts. Light cardio can help getting blood flow to the muscles. It may me suck getting started but just walk. If I run, it breaks up the soreness before the 1st mile is done. Once you have warmed up you can add in some targeting stretches. Also can try hot Epsom salt bath soaks.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't stretch just your hamstrings. Tightness in the hamstrings can be caused by any of the muscles in the posterior chain, so you need to stretch your calves, hams, gluts, and erector spinae.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Does the op sir a bunch at work/driving/home? Sitting is hard on the posterior chain.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Does the op sir a bunch at work/driving/home? Sitting is hard on the posterior chain.

This is a good question, how much time is spent sitting? What does your mobility work look like?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Stretch and exercise the hamstrings.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How often are you doing workouts that focus on your legs? What exercises do you normally do? Outside of some sort of medical/physical malady, my very basic suggestion would be to work your legs more often.

I've been working out fairly "hard" for the last 6 months. I am squatting 300 and deadlifting 300. I squat 3 times a week, and deadlift 1-2 times a week. I also do uphill treadmill walking 5 days a week, for 40 minutes each session.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Check your hydration levels as well. If your pee is still yellowish in the afternoon / evening you may be dehydrated. I experience the same issue and found that my legs recover much faster after exercising if I make sure to pound the water.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Don't stretch just your hamstrings. Tightness in the hamstrings can be caused by any of the muscles in the posterior chain, so you need to stretch your calves, hams, gluts, and erector spinae.

Thanks. I do stretch more than just my hamstrings. I step into a "stretching cage" before each workout (about 5 days a week), and do about 5 minutes of stretching pulling on different angles for most of my entire body. It's actually quite painful to stretch due to the tightness of my muscles, but I just push through the pain.
  • jemhh
    Options

I've been working out fairly "hard" for the last 6 months. I am squatting 300 and deadlifting 300. I squat 3 times a week, and deadlift 1-2 times a week. I also do uphill treadmill walking 5 days a week, for 40 minutes each session.

Three heavy squat sessions a week plus two deadlift sessions a week? Did you just start working out 6 months ago or is that just when you got serious about it.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This is a good question, how much time is spent sitting? What does your mobility work look like?

I probably sit less than the average person. I have a standing desk, but I only stand about 3 hours a day, and sit (at a desk) another 3-4 hours a day. When I am not in the office, I am either on my feet, or on something that "feels good" for my body like a recliner, or laying flat on my bed.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Thanks. I do stretch more than just my hamstrings. I step into a "stretching cage" before each workout (about 5 days a week), and do about 5 minutes of stretching pulling on different angles for most of my entire body. It's actually quite painful to stretch due to the tightness of my muscles, but I just push through the pain.

Can you be more specific about your stretching routine?

- Pre-workout routine?
    types of self-myofacial release / stretches / dynamic movments? If stretching, how much time holding each stretch?

- Post-workout
    same as above
  • drewlfitness
    Options

Three heavy squat sessions a week plus two deadlift sessions a week? Did you just start working out 6 months ago or is that just when you got serious about it.

I have been working out for about 13 years, but years 10-13 I stayed away from heavy lifting and only did cardio on cardio machines. I became quite weak, so 6 months ago I decided to get back into it. I actually feel great and regret ever halting my weight lifting regime. I will say that the reason I have taken on deadlift is to build a stronger back, which I have been lacking in my entire life. I never did deadlift until 6 months ago, instead I just did the typical lifts like check, biceps, back cables, and basically everything but compound lifting. I also never heavily focused on my abs, although I did focus on them a little but and at least have a fairly flat stomach. I have a larger than normal anterior pelvic tilt, so I have been using a back inversion table to attempt to tackle that, which has been quite effective as long as you use it normally.

Deadlift and squat are supposed to be effective in creating abdominal strength with is another reason I am doing more compound lifting.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    zkhanman wrote: »
    Check your hydration levels as well. If your pee is still yellowish in the afternoon / evening you may be dehydrated. I experience the same issue and found that my legs recover much faster after exercising if I make sure to pound the water.

Hmmm, I do drink a lot of water, but I could try to drink even more. If I do actually try to drink more though, I would probably be drinking about 200 ounces of water, because I am already drinking about 150 ounces each day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

I have been working out for about 13 years, but years 10-13 I stayed away from heavy lifting and only did cardio on cardio machines. I became quite weak, so 6 months ago I decided to get back into it. I actually feel great and regret ever halting my weight lifting regime. I will say that the reason I have taken on deadlift is to build a stronger back, which I have been lacking in my entire life. I never did deadlift until 6 months ago, instead I just did the typical lifts like check, biceps, back cables, and basically everything but compound lifting. I also never heavily focused on my abs, although I did focus on them a little but and at least have a fairly flat stomach. I have a larger than normal anterior pelvic tilt, so I have been using a back inversion table to attempt to tackle that, which has been quite effective as long as you use it normally.

Deadlift and squat are supposed to be effective in creating abdominal strength with is another reason I am doing more compound lifting.

Deadlifting and Squatting are effect at improving abdominal strength but actually no more effective than other isolation exercises. Where it gets confused is that those exercises at loads of 70%+ are the MOST effective at the Core muscles of the back, so unfortunately some people make the association they are the most effective for the front as well which isn't true.

• drewlfitness
    Options

Can you be more specific about your stretching routine?

- Pre-workout routine?
    types of self-myofacial release / stretches / dynamic movments? If stretching, how much time holding each stretch?

- Post-workout
    same as above

I step into a "stretching cage" before and after each workout (about 5 days a week), and do about 5 minutes of stretching pulling on different angles for most of my entire body. It's actually quite painful to stretch due to the tightness of my muscles, but I just push through the pain. I hold each angle for about 15-20 seconds, switch to a different angle, and repeat multiple times on all the muscles for the duration of about 5 minutes.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

I squat and deadlift quite a bit. I feel that squat works my hamdstrings more than quads, so I might want to try to do more quad workouts. Although, I am not sure what else do do for quads. The sitting quad extension perhaps?
  • jemhh
    Options

Deadlifting and Squatting are effect at improving abdominal strength but actually no more effective than other isolation exercises. Where it gets confused is that those exercises at loads of 70%+ are the MOST effective at the Core muscles of the back, so unfortunately some people make the association they are the most effective for the front as well which isn't true.

I don't really know enough to say but I was wondering if part of the problem could be that he is overdoing things. Is squatting heavy 3x/week too much? You're going to be able to answer that better than I would.
  • drewlfitness
    Options

What about when doing 85%? That's what I've been pretty much doing. Also, I have wondered if my front abdominal are actually getting much of a workout when squatting and deadlifting. I do feel them being used, but not nearly as much as if I do abdominal specific exercises.

Doing abdominal specific exercise are my least favorite thing to do. I don't like the strain it has on neck when lifting my neck and head to do ab workouts. I would like to find a way to do abdominal exercises that have more to do with movement and balance, perhaps using cables I will try.