Biggest Regret in your Weight Loss Journey

Options
Mine is waiting so long to start this back up again. I regret letting myself get this unhealthy and large, that my daughter watched me overeat, overdrink, under exercise for years, and wearing the same outfit basically (same pants/long skirt, but different same colored tops --black--) for most of her teenage years, when other mothers she sees are slim and stylish, cause I could not afford to keep buying more clothes at the next size up.

I regret feeling sorry for myself and instead of being a grown up about it, and fight back against the tide of food and wine, that I sat on my sofa and had a temper tantrum about how tough my life is, so here, let me stuff my face, getting bigger and bigger, poor me.

So, with your help MFP, I will be accountable for my poor choices, and applaud my good ones. And I will do the same for you.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I regret letting myself avoid the reality that I was gaining back all the weight I lost a few years ago. I regret being so against calorie counting for so long. I regret hiding my issues from people for so long.

On the other hand, my focus is on the present. I purposefully let go of my regrets because those were choices made from a different place and a different version of myself, my only goal now is to learn from those past choices and apply that knowledge in the present.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Wasting so much time not listening to my body. Not pushing back sooner when doctors only told me to eat less and move more. I should have pushed for some answers when one method was not working for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    Only that I didn't start sooner. I thought it would be so difficult ... next to impossible. I was wrong. :)
  • niajones95
    niajones95 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That I didn't start sooner, and that I slipped up in April and am now working to get back on track
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not taking measurements when I first started, trying so many stupid fad diets...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Not doing a good bit of resistance work right from the beginning. I feel I am always playing catch-up with my muscles.

Not keeping a good photographic record. I took pics, didn't like them so deleted. Wish I had kept them no matter how bad they were.

Cheers, h.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only that I didn't start sooner. I thought it would be so difficult ... next to impossible. I was wrong. :)

Agred. Same here.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    My biggest regret is the fact that i let a big move from one state to another derail my progress. This was last june. Im still working on losing those last 15 pounds though!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any regrets. Being fat wasn't part of my weight loss journey. There's nothing I can do to change the fact that I was overweight from puberty until 28 years old.

I wish that I had kept losing when I hit 133. I'm trying to do it now and it's freaking annoying.
  • rachellosesitall85
    rachellosesitall85 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    That I allowed myself to give up so many times.
  • sarahbarbara012345
    sarahbarbara012345 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I regret not maintaining my healthy weight that I worked so hard to get to. I had lost 70lbs. Now I have to lose 20lbs because I gained it due to poor eating and lack of exercise.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Running.

But it's no good to beat yourself up. Things happened the way they did because that's what you could do at the time. Main thing is you're at it now.
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Not doing more to get back on track after having a bad day or two. I could be so much closer to my goal by now.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My 2nd regret is allowing myself. ie not seeing myself, getting FAT/OBESE in the first bloody place!! ( letting other people stress me out!! WTF). When I was thin, if someone had told me ( if you go down this path ) I would be fat, ( stress eating ) 17 years down the line I would not have believed them.

Having said that I don't regret eating all the delicious stuff I ate. I just should have gone and done some exercise on my own. and not increased the portion size. ( I cook too much delicious stuff, & don't like to waste ) ( I should have learn't how to cook from my Mother, bless her soul).

My 1st regret is being afraid & insecure, career wise, of not starting my chosen career path sooner. :(

• melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Losing 10lb last year then giving up and putting it all back on
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That I allowed myself to give up so many times.

+1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I regret that I had to go on a weight loss journey (though honestly I've never thought of it in that way). I regret that I stopped caring about my weight for a while.
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The last couple days I guess. I have been slacking off from my diet & eating a lot. However, at least my metabolism has gone up & I am mentally replenished. Getting back to my intermittent fasting diet again.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    My biggest regret is that when I first started, I believed all the derp and myths about weight.
    - I believed I had a slow metabolism.
    - I believed that netting 600 calories was both necessary and wise.
    - I believed I had to "eat healthy."
    - I believed juicing would help me lose weight.
    - I believed I needed to take a fat burner.
    - I believed sugar was evil and that eating it would stop my weight loss.
    - I believed my body was a special snowflake.
    - I belived it was more complicated than eat less and move more.
    - I believed move more meant killing myself with cardio.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    My biggest regret is that when I first started, I believed all the derp and myths about weight.
    - I believed I had a slow metabolism.
    - I believed that netting 600 calories was both necessary and wise.
    - I believed I had to "eat healthy."
    - I believed juicing would help me lose weight.
    - I believed I needed to take a fat burner.
    - I believed sugar was evil and that eating it would stop my weight loss.
    - I believed my body was a special snowflake.
    - I belived it was more complicated than eat less and move more.
    - I believed move more meant killing myself with cardio.

I've believed a lot of these myths over the years too, and while I regret the time I wasted believing them, I think that time was a symptom of not really being ready to assume responsibility for my weight.

I regret not doing that sooner. I regret not embracing exercise sooner.