Do you have hungry days?

Options
The last few days I have been overeating, and not because I'm bored or the usual excuses, I'm actually hungry. I pretty much always eat the same thing day to day so I shouldn't be any hungrier than normal but I've been a proper piggy lately and I'll most likely gain a lb or two because of it. I'm currently 10lbs from a healthy BMI for the first time in my life after losing nearly 90lbs and I don't want to start slipping now. I'm hoping this will just pass as even after a year I'm still really bad at saying no to food, especially if I'm hungry.

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I have days when I'm truly ravenous! Seemingly out of nowhere too. Although I'm guessing mine have something to do with hormones.
    Um I'm a big believer in eating if you are actually hungry but only to when you're not hungry anymore. Not so that you're full as a goog.
    If you're concerned about over eating, then maybe have av glass if water to see if you're really hungry or your body just thinks you are.
    Either way massive congratulations on losing 90 lbs!!!!
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes, I sure do. 70 lbs down and for me it's usually hormonal. Like the previous poster, I've learned to listen to my body. If I'm hungry it's because I NEED food. I try to stick to healthy things (greek yogurt, cheese sticks, veggies). My hungry days are usually followed by not-so-hungry days. So far :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Every day.
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had that last almost a week. But finally it past and I lost my dangerous appetite. I just couldn't loss any weight for a week because I always ate back my exercise calories and sometimes more. Now I have a balance again.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your tremendous progress. For whatever reason, I feel like I'm dragging a bit, low energy and hungry, right before a drop on the scale. Knowing a drop may be around the corner can give me the patience to steer the course. And I feel hungry every day, even in maintenance.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It usually only happens when I'm PMSing or when I don't get at least 6 hours of sleep (typically those overlap for me). I try to just soldier through it and only eat very healthy, low calorie food to try to stave off the hunger until the next planned meal.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For me it also depends upon the TOM. Sucks but it does pass. I have a lot of fruit on hand to snack on during that time.
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Every day.

Oh good, it's not just me then
  • jsa_mason
    jsa_mason Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Everyday, there is a lingering hunger that I've learned to embrace; it reminds me I'm making progress.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I like to play "hungry games" with myself, like that Catnips girl.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Do you track weekly or monthly average calories? I do, on paper. I notice that my hunger goes through cycles depending on my hormones. During ovulation it's usually 200 ish calories over and during my period I have no appetite and am about 200 calories under. It all works out in the end. Plus my weight loss never corresponds to the calorie intake. I guess other things mask it.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Every day.

Oh good, it's not just me then

It's not often now that I'm truly hungry but I do seem to be permanently in a state where I could eat if food was put in front of me. Last night for example I bought a tub of ice cream and I could have happily tucked away the entire thing, not because I was hungry but because it was sweet and I like eating. But I didn't, the whole thing is still in the freezer untouched.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I get days like that too - weekends are usually worse. I've followed various recommendations to manage this, but not found the magic formula yet. I think part of the problem is that I was used to always eating when I wanted, and forgot what the sensation of hunger was like. I think it's natural to start feeling hungry from an hour before a meal - but being hungry again only an hour after a meal is highly annoying and does happen to me all too often.
    Typical meals I've tried, and how soon I've been hungry again:

1. 3 egg omelette with lots of oil - a lot of people find fat more satiating, but I just felt a bit rough after having this, and didn't like the lingering greasy taste in my mouth.
    2. High protein meal - definitely I feel fuller initially with less grams of food, similar to the omelette without the greasy aftertaste. The downside is that high protein foods are often more expensive.
    3. High fibre meal - typically rather boring food, but like protein, it seems to keep me fuller for longer.
    4. High GI carb meal - the worst of the lot, I'll be hungry again quite soon after.
    4. Low GI carb meal - possibly the best, carbs may be less satiating than fats, but they have half the calories so you can eat twice as many grams of carbs as you can fats and stay on your calorie target.

Size and timing of meals I find is a factor too. I like a big breakfast, light lunch, mid-afternoon snack (usually porridge), and a normal sized dinner. When I diverge from this I find the hunger is a lot worse.
    My best friend for fending off hunger I find is tea (any kind).

My advice is to keep track of what, how-much, and when you eat and look for correllations with your hunger.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that may help.

If you eat basically the same thing week in week out, try adding variety to your diet, while staying within your calorie goal.

The other thing is, if you haven't had a diet break, eating at maintenance for a couple of weeks, now may be the time to do this.

Putting the extra eating within a calorie limit, and time frame may help with controlling it and limiting the impact.

Cheers, h.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Do you have hungry days?

Yep. Today is one. So I exercised more in order to eat more. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have hungry days if the previous day has had too big a deficit from my workouts.... I will eat a bit more so I don't have to feel that way...
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Yes, usually Fridays. But I also have days where I struggle to eat enough.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    No.

I have days when I want to eat a lot more but they're always the days I'm not doing much on. Which means I should need to eat less I suppose. So I know it's boredom not hunger.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I get hungry most days. I can handle it and it certainly is made worse by the type of food choices I make as @hamlet1222 says.

I eat a mixed diet and I go through weeks where I eat a lot of convenience food and/or sugar. I choose to eat those foods and enjoy them, but I definitely feel hungrier on those days - that is the price I pay.

I do not avoid carbs, but I cannot deny that my low carb high protein and fat days are they days where I suffer from hunger the least.

I am also experiencing more hunger, the closer I get to my goal weight. I wonder if it is psychological - a self-sabotage mechanism. I am getting back on track after a couple of weeks of slacking off, after considering this possibility. Facing up to it has helped.