Blaming individuals for obesity may be altogether wrong...

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid.

It is valid. Thanks for playing.
    If it was JUST that easy, there'd be a lot less fat people.

Who said it was easy? It's not easy. It's SIMPLE, but it sure ain't easy.
    i've got a whole arsenal of links, facts and research, but i'll just stick with these two links entitled 'uncommon knowledge about changes in body weight.'

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/01/uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-1/

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/15/the-haes-files-uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-2/

Maybe you should post some facts and research instead of blog entries, then.

maybe you could actually click the bottom of the post where all the references are clearly listed for you. like the 61 references in part 1 alone.

man, and they say fat people are the lazy ones.

Oh good, more selective and biased blog entries posted on MFP as evidence. Good stuff here. If it's comedy.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid. i'm also convinced that most people who think this way have never dealt with being fat (not chubby or a couple extra pounds, i mean FAT.)

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Um, that's exactly how it works... less calories in than calories out.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    In to hear about how McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Twinkies, sodas, etc. didn't exist prior to 1980.
    I'm not saying we didn't have them....just that they weren't stacked on top of each other everywhere we went, and I don't think there were the cheapie "dollar menus" that are around today. I was agreeing with the poster who said "LIFE has gotten steadily easier over the past few generations"

For the record, I believe people are responsible for the consequences of their own lifestyle choices and in many (not ALL...before I get flamed for that one) cases, for the resulting increase in obesity in this country.

That's a nice way of blunting the truth that people have gotten steadily lazier over the past few generations. I'd also say a heck of a lot more full of excuses. And yet, that is okay, because, you know, we just can't help ourselves . . . it's sooo hard . . .
    of course it is....people ARE lazier, and have excuses for everything!

We see it all the time on this site....every other post is about “öh, Ï have a desk job”, "I work full time and don't have TIME to exercise, because I’m SO much busier than everyone else", “Ï have kids to take care of, so its too hard to do anything", “I can’t afford a gym”, ëating healthy is too expensive….the list of excuses goes on and on. Not to mention the ‘quick fix’ diet scams everywhere you look that people are falling for…(sprinkle Sensa your food and you’ll magically lose the weight without changing your diet) and people get weight loss surgery (I saw a commercial last week for a new laser process that promised it will ‘melt the fat away’) . Now obesity is being classified as a disease. Society (and television) continues to tell people its not their fault..instead of saying “get off "the couch, put down the supersized double cheeseburger and get out and move your @ss for a change”. Its really sad!!

Here's just one example of the charade...

215409702.jpg

People are desperate for ways to blame anything and anyone but themselves. The one thing that successful people do share in common is taking personal responsibility for themselves. I see it on here. I saw it in graduate school. And I've seen it throughout my career. It doesn't mean that it's easy, or not hard, or that life doesn't occasionally throw you a curve ball. It just means that people need to face reality and start working to change. Any slob can sit on a couch and complain. Quite a few do. Then they want the rest of the world to sympathize and are "offended" when the world doesn't support their self pity.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    TLDR, but...

It may not be the individuals "fault" for being obese, but it is the individuals responsibility to do something about it.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    The only person I blame for being obese for years is myself. Its amazing what happens when you stop eating like a pig and get your butt off the couch.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid. i'm also convinced that most people who think this way have never dealt with being fat (not chubby or a couple extra pounds, i mean FAT.)

the stigma and shame that most fat people face EVERY single day, the constant way they're made to feel inadequate or lesser, lazy and unattractive, a nonstop barrage of negativity thrown there way, is something that most fat people would 'choose' to end if they could.

If it was JUST that easy, there'd be a lot less fat people. I think it's pretty sad that people want to chalk it up to 'laziness' and 'poor choices' --if that's the case, you must have an awfully negative view of the human race--because there's a lot of fat people out there.

i've got a whole arsenal of links, facts and research, but i'll just stick with these two links entitled 'uncommon knowledge about changes in body weight.'

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/01/uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-1/

http://healthateverysizeblog.org/2012/05/15/the-haes-files-uncommon-knowledge-about-changes-in-body-weight-part-2/

I've been 80+lbs overweight...It is that easy....You can accept being morbidly obese all you want...Its only going to mean a myriad of health problems and likely an early grave.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that the concept that Americans have become lazy is ludicrous!

We simply live in a different world. Most jobs are now sedentary. People work a lot more than they used to and nutritious food is expensive and time consuming. The influence of cortisol levels has a really big impact on how food is used by the body as well as food consumption.

Low-income people have much heigher rates of obesity and I don't think it can be blamed all on lack of education, although that is a definite factor. The stress of a minimum wage job and the fact that a person may need to work several jobs means increased cortisol levels and not a lot of time for exercise and meal preparation. Added to what's already been mentioned about cheap and easily accessible fast food.

I think a lot of people on here are up on their high horse. I'm betting the people saying "fat people are just lazy" are not from low-income families and have never had much interaction with them.

I also believe that our weight is too a large degree genetically determined and that some of us are more predisposed to obesity. It's not just "calories in and calories out". Yes, that doesn't mean that the individual isn't still to some degree responsible, but it does mean that more tolerance and understanding should be exhibited for those who struggle with their weight.

And in regards to the article, there actually has been a lot of reseach done that looks at microbacteria in the intestines of obese people and "normal" sized people and there is a difference. I do think that there are some interesting ideas for environmental causes that could overall shift our likelihood of obesity.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    See! I knew it wasn't my fault! All kidding aside, the article gives us a lot to think about. It seems that even if we are prone to be fat, our only option is still to watch what we consume and move our butts more. As imperfect as it all is, it's the best we have. We'll just have to keep swimming against the tide. That said, I think I'll order some blackout curtains for my bedroom. Thanks for the read.

This makes it all sound easy....I love your outlook :)
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options

the stigma and shame that most fat people face EVERY single day, the constant way they're made to feel inadequate or lesser, lazy and unattractive, a nonstop barrage of negativity thrown there way, is something that most fat people would 'choose' to end if they could.

If it was JUST that easy, there'd be a lot less fat people. I think it's pretty sad that people want to chalk it up to 'laziness' and 'poor choices' --if that's the case, you must have an awfully negative view of the human race--because there's a lot of fat people out there.

I've been 80+lbs overweight...It is that easy....You can accept being morbidly obese all you want...Its only going to mean a myriad of health problems and likely an early grave.
    I have been 80 +lbs. overweight aswell and agree with you 100%!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The only person I blame for being obese for years is myself. Its amazing what happens when you stop eating like a pig and get your butt off the couch.
    Exactly!

I gained most of my weight while working a part time AND a full time job, going to school 4 nights a week and "scarfing down convenience foods in my car in between all of the above. However…who CHOSE to eat drive-thru 6 times a week? (that would be ME). Could I have cooked at home, and made time to get to the gym? (abso-frickin'-lutely) . It WAS my choice to be fat and lazy...and I got complacent with my weight.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    Maybe the devil is in the semantics but there's only one literal cause of weight gain (calories in/calories out), but probably many reasons for it (economics, ignorance, laziness, genetics, psychological factors). At the end of the day it's the individuals responsibility to overcome whatever factors he/she feels are contributing. That's just life.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    I'd like to point out that the concept that Americans have become lazy is ludicrous!

We simply live in a different world. Most jobs are now sedentary. People work a lot more than they used to and nutritious food is expensive and time consuming. The influence of cortisol levels has a really big impact on how food is used by the body as well as food consumption.

Low-income people have much heigher rates of obesity and I don't think it can be blamed all on lack of education, although that is a definite factor. The stress of a minimum wage job and the fact that a person may need to work several jobs means increased cortisol levels and not a lot of time for exercise and meal preparation. Added to what's already been mentioned about cheap and easily accessible fast food.

I think a lot of people on here are up on their high horse. I'm betting the people saying "fat people are just lazy" are not from low-income families and have never had much interaction with them.

I also believe that our weight is too a large degree genetically determined and that some of us are more predisposed to obesity. It's not just "calories in and calories out". Yes, that doesn't mean that the individual isn't still to some degree responsible, but it does mean that more tolerance and understanding should be exhibited for those who struggle with their weight.

And in regards to the article, there actually has been a lot of reseach done that looks at microbacteria in the intestines of obese people and "normal" sized people and there is a difference. I do think that there are some interesting ideas for environmental causes that could overall shift our likelihood of obesity.
    The problem with this country is it always has to be someone else's fault! It didnt cost me any more $$$ when I started eating healthier than it did the week prior when I was eating very unhealthy.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    And as to why...Judging by the responses to this thread...It is the fact that we have entered this namby pamby age where everyone is special, it's never your fault, we don't keep score at the baseball game, etc.

So much coddling and lieing to make people feel better, rather than give people the truth and people to take personal responsibilty for their actions.

Cause you know what, I tracked my calories for three months diligently, and lost 30 pounds. 2000 calories EVERY SINGLE DAY. Gym EVERY SINGLE DAY. Weight loss EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

The last 3 months i've been inconsistent, gone out to eat a bunch, had some late night semi binges, stopped working out as much and just reverting to my old lazy self...And guess what, gained about 5 back. I had the same job and lived in the same "society" in both situations. It's no mystery. Stop lieing to yourself, turn off the computer, put down the potato chips your crunching on (unless you weighed them as part of your plan :) ) and go workout.

/rant

I'll wait for the backlash of how I'm ignorant to your plight.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Um, that's exactly how it works... less calories in than calories out.

I think she's talking about the approach and not the physiology of it. There's a lot that goes on within out bodies that fights losing weight and a lot of unrealistic expectations that are put out by the media. People are often just told to cut calories, try to do so, and binge. And it's also significantly easier to lose weight than to keep it off. The majority of people who are obese have lost weight before, but have gained it back and more. You won't find many obese people who have never tried to lose weight. Small calorie deficit isn't often preached...just a calorie deficit.

I have been preoccupied with my weight almost all of my life and I had done an extensive amount of article reading and web research before I joined MFP. I thought it was totally cool to cut my calories down to 1300 even though I'm over 6 ft tall. It's a recipe for disaster but it's what we're told works. And I see so many women on the elliptical rather than strength training. I'm usually the only woman at my gym who is strength training. But I was spending hours on the elliptical before MFP before too because I knew I could lose weight that way. Keeping it off was another matter completely.

So I get it. The commonly preached "Calories in and calories out" approach is not particularly helpful the way it's currently being sold.
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    So much coddling and lieing to make people feel better, rather than give people the truth and people to take personal responsibilty for their actions.

'Cause you know fat people are often coddled. They never face prejudice or hate. They're never bullied or told that they're lazy.

Congrats on losing the weight. I think maybe you need to do some work on your personality though.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

'Cause you know fat people are often coddled. They never face prejudice or hate. They're never bullied or told that they're lazy.

Congrats on losing the weight. I think maybe you need to do some work on your personality though.

oh snap!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Interesting read, I don't think anyone is denying there are multiple factors involved in the increased weight of the nation but to many people are going to look at that a go 'great I knew it wasn't my fault' and shift the blame,

Stress, poor sleep, exposure to fast food advertising, living in a household with poor eating habits - I have all of those things to deal with as well yet I CHOOSE to watch what it eat and work my *kitten* off at the gym 4 days per week.

I accept that they are factors but to suggest they are bigger factors than tHe lifestyle an individual has chosen for them selves is the only thing that is 'hilarious'

Please stop with the 'oh if it were that easy everyone would be thin nonsense' news flash for ya, it's not meant to be easy. Cooking an preparing food, counting macros, lifting weights every week no matter rain or shine or how tired your feel or how busy you are, it's not 'easy' but that's what separates people who actually want it and people who think they want it but would rather find excuses

Take some responsibility

The influence of cortisol levels has a really big impact on how food is used by the body as well as food consumption.

You are really reaching here, you know what has an even bigger effect on nutrient partitioning than the evil cortisol.........yup intense exercise who would think it.

Do these differences exist from birth or are they in fact a result of being obese?
  • BeachIron
    Options
    TLDR, but...

It may not be the individuals "fault" for being obese, but it is the individuals responsibility to do something about it.

^ I'm not entirely sure that I disagree with this. We can debate "fault" and "causes" all day long but at the end of the day it's up to the individual to eat less and move more. No one else is going to do this for you (the royal "you," not referring to this poster).
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options

When their being told that its not their fault and that they are not responsable for their own situation or actions they are being "coddled"