Blaming individuals for obesity may be altogether wrong...

Options

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    So much coddling and lieing to make people feel better, rather than give people the truth and people to take personal responsibilty for their actions.

'Cause you know fat people are often coddled. They never face prejudice or hate. They're never bullied or told that they're lazy.

Congrats on losing the weight. I think maybe you need to do some work on your personality though.

Read my profile...The first few sentences describe the teasing I went threw being overweight. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh and Yes I was coddled...Oh no, your not fat, you just got your momma's genes....Your just a big boned person....I don't know why you're overweight when your brothers are skinny, you both eat the same (lies)...But your chubby cheeks are so cute...etc. etc.

You can say i need to work on my personality, seems like a pretty quick trigger after reading one of my posts, but oh well. And for the record, my post applies to me as well as I am not at my goal because of my own bad decisions.

Bottom line, number of people on this site that have reached their goal and blame society, mcdonalds, their family, genes, etc for their struggles....0

# of people on this site that are overweight and obese who do...too many to count
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    The question I have is, how many people in the United States are considered to be "" obese"" like I am even though I have a 33 inch waist?
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I choose to count calories, work out, log my food, etc. I actually think it would be a much better life if I didn't need to make this such a big focus of my time and energy. I don't think it's great that it is so hard and therefore such a huge achievement.

People who are successful at losing weight and/or taking charge of their health do so in spite of the myriad of factors against them. The societal factors are real and people have to work really, really hard to create a different reality for themselves.

What if we lived in a society that actually encouraged and supported a balanced and healthy life? I would like to contribute to a society that is actually healthy, where that kind of vigilance isn't necessary. I'll probably never live to see it, but there is a possible reality where our food systems, transportation systems, work and home lives could actually make being fit the norm.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So much coddling and lieing to make people feel better, rather than give people the truth and people to take personal responsibilty for their actions.

'Cause you know fat people are often coddled. They never face prejudice or hate. They're never bullied or told that they're lazy.

Congrats on losing the weight. I think maybe you need to do some work on your personality though.

Another "my life is so hard" post. Yea. I learned a very long time ago that either I swam or I sank and no one was going to do a damn thing to keep me afloat. There is always someone there ready to do the opposite though. More people need to learn that lesson but so many don't because they have "support networks" or whatever other B.S. term you want to use to keep them right there where they are. Excuse me if I don't give a damn about those that refuse to help themselves. I save my damns for those that do.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    That article is a joke. In the last paragraph the author compares blaming obesity for eating too much with:

"Bruno Bettelheim in the 1950s, when he blamed autism on mothers with cold personalities. So, for that matter, did the clerics of 18th-century Lisbon, who blamed earthquakes on people’s sinful ways. History is not kind to authorities whose mistaken dogmas cause unnecessary suffering and pointless effort, while ignoring the real causes of trouble. And the history of the obesity era has yet to be written."

So according to the author, weight loss attempts for some involve "necessary suffering and pointless effort"

Its so much easier to just give up and blame obesity on something other than yourself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid. i'm also convinced that most people who think this way have never dealt with being fat (not chubby or a couple extra pounds, i mean FAT.)

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Um, that's exactly how it works... less calories in than calories out.

I think she's talking about the approach and not the physiology of it. There's a lot that goes on within out bodies that fights losing weight and a lot of unrealistic expectations that are put out by the media. People are often just told to cut calories, try to do so, and binge. And it's also significantly easier to lose weight than to keep it off. The majority of people who are obese have lost weight before, but have gained it back and more. You won't find many obese people who have never tried to lose weight. Small calorie deficit isn't often preached...just a calorie deficit.

I have been preoccupied with my weight almost all of my life and I had done an extensive amount of article reading and web research before I joined MFP. I thought it was totally cool to cut my calories down to 1300 even though I'm over 6 ft tall. It's a recipe for disaster but it's what we're told works. And I see so many women on the elliptical rather than strength training. I'm usually the only woman at my gym who is strength training. But I was spending hours on the elliptical before MFP before too because I knew I could lose weight that way. Keeping it off was another matter completely.

So I get it. The commonly preached "Calories in and calories out" approach is not particularly helpful the way it's currently being sold.

Sorry, but that's the science of weight loss. I didn't want to write a small novel, thus the short answer.

How is it being "sold"? If you eat more calores than you burn in a day, even with exercise, you'll gain weight.

It is less calories in vs. less out, sorry, but that's what it is. You don't even need to exercise to lose weight if you burn more than you take in.

It's up to the person to figure out what level of caloric intake they need. Who "told you" that you needed to cut to 1300 calories because "that's what works"? I mean come on, there is personal responsibility in this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'll never stop thinking it's utterly hilarious that people are so convinced that 'obesity is a choice!' and 'eat less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid. i'm also convinced that most people who think this way have never dealt with being fat (not chubby or a couple extra pounds, i mean FAT.)

I think she's talking about the approach and not the physiology of it. There's a lot that goes on within out bodies that fights losing weight and a lot of unrealistic expectations that are put out by the media. People are often just told to cut calories, try to do so, and binge. And it's also significantly easier to lose weight than to keep it off. The majority of people who are obese have lost weight before, but have gained it back and more. You won't find many obese people who have never tried to lose weight. Small calorie deficit isn't often preached...just a calorie deficit.

I have been preoccupied with my weight almost all of my life and I had done an extensive amount of article reading and web research before I joined MFP. I thought it was totally cool to cut my calories down to 1300 even though I'm over 6 ft tall. It's a recipe for disaster but it's what we're told works. And I see so many women on the elliptical rather than strength training. I'm usually the only woman at my gym who is strength training. But I was spending hours on the elliptical before MFP before too because I knew I could lose weight that way. Keeping it off was another matter completely.

So I get it. The commonly preached "Calories in and calories out" approach is not particularly helpful the way it's currently being sold.

Sorry, but that's the science of weight loss. I didn't want to write a small novel, thus the short answer.

How is it being "sold"? If you eat more calores than you burn in a day, even with exercise, you'll gain weight.

It is less calories in vs. less out, sorry, but that's what it is. You don't even need to exercise to lose weight if you burn more than you take in.

It's up to the person to figure out what level of caloric intake they need. Who "told you" that you needed to cut to 1300 calories because "that's what works"? I mean come on, there is personal responsibility in this.

I agree and disagree.

Yeah, if you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight.

However, our physiology can make this extraordinarily difficult to actually accomplish. It takes a significant and consistent act of will to do. It requires a fairly significant amount of knowledge and effort.

As I said, it's simple, but it's not easy. There simply has to be more we can do as a society to make this easier. If we don't, then the trend will never reverse.

Emma is, like myself, a public health student. I know where she's coming from here.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I agree and disagree.

However, our physiology can make this extraordinarily difficult to actually accomplish. It takes a significant and consistent act of will to do. It requires a fairly significant amount of knowledge and effort.

As I said, it's simple, but it's not easy. There simply has to be more we can do as a society to make this easier. If we don't, then the trend will never reverse.

Emma is, like myself, a public health student. I know where she's coming from here.
    Not coddling everybody's little foibles and complaints would be a good start. Society is too soft.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Interesting read, I don't think anyone is denying there are multiple factors involved in the increased weight of the nation but to many people are going to look at that a go 'great I knew it wasn't my fault' and shift the blame,

Stress, poor sleep, exposure to fast food advertising, living in a household with poor eating habits - I have all of those things to deal with as well yet I CHOOSE to watch what it eat and work my *kitten* off at the gym 4 days per week.

I accept that they are factors but to suggest they are bigger factors than tHe lifestyle an individual has chosen for them selves is the only thing that is 'hilarious'

Please stop with the 'oh if it were that easy everyone would be thin nonsense' news flash for ya, it's not meant to be easy. Cooking an preparing food, counting macros, lifting weights every week no matter rain or shine or how tired your feel or how busy you are, it's not 'easy' but that's what separates people who actually want it and people who think they want it but would rather find excuses

Take some responsibility

And in regards to the article, there actually has been a lot of reseach done that looks at microbacteria in the intestines of obese people and "normal" sized people and there is a difference. I do think that there are some interesting ideas for environmental causes that could overall shift our likelihood of obesity.

Do these differences exist from birth or are they in fact a result of being obese?

Yes, yes. Everyone gets your point. It's been said a billion times. You can lose weight despite adversity. Hooray for you! But not everyone is like you or has the same things to overcome. You're genetically unique with your own unique environment. Saying "I can do it and so can you!" is a pretty weak argument. However, yes, the basics do work well for most people in the short term. The key really is keeping off the weight.

But my general thought is that by understanding other factors we can work to decrease rates of obesity and the health problems associated with them. It's kind of where my interest lays in this discussion. It may be biased. I'm interested in public health not individual success.

Read the book "Why Zebras Don't Have Ulcers". Cortisol is a powerful force and there's a lot of scientific evidence to back that up. It affects everything from fat storage to overall lifespan.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19615307 There's not a whole lot of info on causation yet, but it's pretty useful information regardless. It could also contribute to why it is difficult for many obese people to lose weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I agree and disagree.

Not coddling everybody's little foibles and complaints would be a good start. Society is too soft.

Obesity rates aren't increasing because fat people are coddled in society.
  • RGv2
    Options

I agree and disagree.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. The statement was "less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid"

Yes or no.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I agree and disagree.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not. The statement was "less exercise more, the weight will come off!' is valid"

Yes or no.

Of course it's valid.

We're talking about two different things here. One is the fact that if an individual consumes fewer calories than he or she expends, that individual will lose weight. Now let me copy and paste:

• _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Another "my life is so hard" post. Yea. I learned a very long time ago that either I swam or I sank and no one was going to do a damn thing to keep me afloat. There is always someone there ready to do the opposite though. More people need to learn that lesson but so many don't because they have "support networks" or whatever other B.S. term you want to use to keep them right there where they are. Excuse me if I don't give a damn about those that refuse to help themselves. I save my damns for those that do.

Not really. My life isn't very hard. I've never been obese or teased because of my weight and I just ran a Spartan Race so I don't think I'm pitying myself much but thanks for playing!

Fact is, there aren't many people who refuse to help themselves. I can't remember the statistic from the top of my head but a huge percentage of Americans, especially women, are currently dieting. Most obese people are what we call yo-yo dieters. They are trying and failing.

Like I said, fat people are treated with contempt and often harrassed. So you bet they try to lose weight. They just don't happen to be very successful. So I guess you got a lot of damns to give.
  • RGv2
    Options

I agree and disagree.

Yes or no.

Of course it's valid.

We're talking about two different things here. One is the fact that if an individual consumes fewer calories than he or she expends, that individual will lose weight. Now let me copy and paste:

Sorry, in today's day and age, it doesn't take that much effort to gain the knowledge. You're making a case for laziness now.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Obesity rates aren't increasing because fat people are coddled in society.
    Cut out a bunch of the quotes to save my mouse wheel.

Obesity rates are increasing because fat people aren't told early enough how to not get fat and provided with means to do so. That is fine.

However, there is a mentality of "It's difficult, so I can't" that permeates our society these days, which stems from a lack of cold, hard truth. Giving up is far too acceptable. Quick fixes are seen as the norm. Sweating is gross. Etc.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sorry, in today's day and age, it doesn't take that much effort to gain the knowledge. You're making a case for laziness now.

I'm not "making a case" for anything.

I'm trying to explain why things are the way they are. You can't deny that obesity rates are increasing. You also can't deny that many people try to lose weight and fail.

How do we explain these phenomena? The answer to the first is that it is becoming easier and cheaper and more delicious to eat a lot of calories. The answer to the second is that, while simple, losing weight for a lot of people is extraordinarily hard.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Why Zebras Don't Have Ulcers". Cortisol is a powerful force and there's a lot of scientific evidence to back that up. It affects everything from fat storage to overall lifespan.

Good read. :)

In 1996 or 97, the obesity epidemic can be accounted for by a change in the definition of "obesity." When the CDC changed the definition, 30 million Americans who had been of normal weight now found themselves to be obese, all without gaining a pound.

Tobacco fight $ had disappeared. Big food was the next target. My daddy didn't go into it, but a family friend that started with him in law did, Richard Berman. I've learned quite a bit about food politics from him. :)

Yes, Dr. Evil. lol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Berman
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Not really. My life isn't very hard. I've never been obese or teased because of my weight and I just ran a Spartan Race so I don't think I'm pitying myself much but thanks for playing!

Fact is, there aren't many people who refuse to help themselves. I can't remember the statistic from the top of my head but a huge percentage of Americans, especially women, are currently dieting. Most obese people are what we call yo-yo dieters. They are trying and failing.

Like I said, fat people are treated with contempt and often harrassed. So you bet they try to lose weight. They just don't happen to be very successful. So I guess you got a lot of damns to give.

Oh. One of those. Yea. No time for the games. Save the world yourself.
  • RGv2
    Options

I'm trying to explain why things are the way they are. You can't deny that obesity rates are increasing. You also can't deny that many people try to lose weight and fail.

How do we explain these phenomena? The answer to the first is that it is becoming easier and cheaper and more delicious to eat a lot of calories. The answer to the second is that, while simple, losing weight for a lot of people is extraordinarily hard.

Don't disagree, so why isn't everyone obese then? I have all of the access to all of the cheap delicious calories?

So it's the fast food joints fault? It's losing weight itself fault for "being too hard"?

Coddling commence...
  • jonnythan
    Options

Don't disagree, so why isn't everyone obese then? I have all of the access to all of the cheap delicious calories?

So it's the fast food joints fault? It's losing weight itself fault for "being too hard"?

Coddling commence...

You're not understanding my point at all.

What, if anything, do you think we should do (as a society) about obesity?