Fat shaming can kill?

Options
Florida State researchers are reporting that they have data to suggest that people who experience weight discrimination die earlier.
Yeah. Horrible!
https://www.fsu.edu/indexTOFStory.html?lead.weight

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I read the summary but couldn't tell how they were determining that someone had experienced weight discrimination. I'm willing to bet that most overweight individuals have experienced some form of "weightism" (ugh! that word!) in their lives, some forms more blatant than others.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Now they've found that people who report being subjected to weight discrimination also have a greater risk of dying. Not because they may be overweight, but because of the apparent effects of the discrimination.
    Or the apparent effects of their mental state regarding their perception of supposed discrimination.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Left-handers have shorter lives, too. The speculation is we have more accidents.

Alphas have more heart attacks than betas. It doesn't pay to be pack leader.

Stress kills.
    https://www.ted.com/talks/kelly_mcgonigal_how_to_make_stress_your_friend
    But thinking differently about stress removes the threat.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really surprise me. Stress and negativity can cause or worsen a myriad of health issues, and prevent people from effectively dealing with their problems.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The sad thing is that those that perpetrate the discrimination will dismiss the study by claiming that the people chose to be overweight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Ugh. The sad thing is that those that perpetrate the discrimination will dismiss the study by claiming that the people chose to be overweight.
    Or dismiss it because it's based on self-reported discrimination of people who almost certainly experience a higher degree of stress than those who don't care to report even if they believe they've experienced that discrimination.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Or dismiss it because it's based on self-reported discrimination of people who almost certainly experience a higher degree of stress than those who don't care to report even if they believe they've experienced that discrimination.

+1
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The world is in a sad state when we don't believe that people who get massive disrespect lead less happy lives (not saying anyone here does it, but rather some disgusting corners of the web where fat haters congregate.)
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I was reading it wrong but it doesn't read like they proved anything. They cannot say with definitive proof that fat shaming is what killed these people. All their research said was that the people that are fat shamed are more likely to become obese. The obesity related problems are what likely killed them not the fat shaming.

Now if they want to make a correlation to fat shaming leading to an increase of weight for an overweight person leading to obesity I can see that. Even a correlation between Fat shaming and depression.

The fat shaming in it self doesn't not cause death.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yeah, them dying sooner couldn't have anything to do with their obesity...

Having said that, yes fat shaming is a thing, and yes it should stop.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    I don't know if I was reading it wrong but it doesn't read like they proved anything. They cannot say with definitive proof that fat shaming is what killed these people. All their research said was that the people that are fat shamed are more likely to become obese. The obesity related problems are what likely killed them not the fat shaming.

Now if they want to make a correlation to fat shaming leading to an increase of weight for an overweight person leading to obesity I can see that. Even a correlation between Fat shaming and depression.

Another classic case of correlation does not equal causation.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Florida State researchers are reporting that they have data to suggest that people who experience weight discrimination die earlier.
    Yeah. Horrible!

Unfortunately we also die from the weight. Besides suicide, how do we determine if the cause of death; is from the discrimination & not the weight itself or the physical illnesses, that the weight caused or even the mental stress, that leads to physical illnesses; that the discrimination causes? Was the physical illness that resulted in the death, caused by the weight or the stress or both? Until we can differentiate between these 3 other causes of death, we can only be sure about suicide; as being the cause of death by discrimination & that is only if a note is left or a credible witness, informs the authorities that that is what; the victim told them prior to their suicide.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Exactly. If you took two groups, one skinny and one fat, and fat shamed them both equally which group would have more health related issues from obesity? Also discrimination is the wrong word to use here. It isn't discrimination when you point out that someone is making unhealthy choices.

I hate it when I see smokers forced to smoke outside. Such terrible discrimination shouldn't be allowed.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Look, most of us have experienced fat shaming, so we know it's bad. But at best, we're preaching to the choir, and at worst, we're promoting a victim mentality that that allows people to justify their obesity. Yeah, fat shaming does make people want to stay fat. It did me. But I made the choice to overcome that, and everyone else has that choice, too.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Look, most of us have experienced fat shaming, so we know it's bad. But at best, we're preaching to the choir, and at worst, we're promoting a victim mentality that that allows people to justify their obesity. Yeah, fat shaming does make people want to stay fat. It did me. But I made the choice to overcome that, and everyone else has that choice, too.
    How does being subjected to shame make you want to maintain the status for which you are being shamed? That sounds more like rationalization than causation.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Exactly. If you took two groups, one skinny and one fat, and fat shamed them both equally which group would have more health related issues from obesity? Also discrimination is the wrong word to use here. It isn't discrimination when you point out that someone is making unhealthy choices.

I hate it when I see smokers forced to smoke outside. Such terrible discrimination shouldn't be allowed.

It isn't discrimination if you care about someone & attempt to help them lose weight. It's discrimination, if you shame them for their weight.

Unlike chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco can affect someone else. The tobacco isn't being banned, the method of using it is.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

It isn't discrimination if you care about someone & attempt to help them lose weight. It's discrimination, if you shame them for their weight.

Unlike chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco can affect someone else. The tobacco isn't being banned, the method of using it is.

I disagree. Their weight is a result of their own actions. This is not discrimination. Also overweight people affect others through the increased cost of health care. Food isn't being shamed, the method of the overuse of food is.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    Yeah. Horrible!

Unfortunately we also die from the weight. Besides suicide, how do we determine if the cause of death; is from the discrimination & not the weight itself or the physical illnesses, that the weight caused or even the mental stress, that leads to physical illnesses; that the discrimination causes? Was the physical illness that resulted in the death, caused by the weight or the stress or both? Until we can differentiate between these 3 other causes of death, we can only be sure about suicide; as being the cause of death by discrimination & that is only if a note is left or a credible witness, informs the authorities that that is what; the victim told them prior to their suicide.

Um.....There are statistical methods that can account for possible other contributing factors, such as BMI, smoking, region, etc. Those methods pretty much correct for those things and take them out of the equation. They are not perfect. But, they are pretty good.
    The press release cited above clearly states that the researchers said they used those methods to account for BMI. So, what is your point?
    The study clearly says 'all things being equal, as much as we can make them, which is not perfect but pretty good, our data suggests that people who experience weight discrimination die earlier.'
    Now, that might be because stress wears you down. It might be because getting discriminated against causes you to get depressed, so some commit suicide. And, it might be because the discrimination extends to employment, which means you don't get as good a job, which means, perhaps, that your health care suffers.
    But the release says the study accounted for BMI, and that means that their evidence shows that when BMI is equal the person who experiences weight discrimination (and/or fat-shaming) has a greater risk of dying sooner than the person who does not.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    CICO + discrimination = [Your Weight]?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    People see extremely overweight as being lazy, lacking in willpower, judgement and self motivation

Discuss...