Question about clean eating

Options
I've Read in one of the topics here that even if I'm in a deficit and doing exercises but I don't eat just healthy stuff I won't get muscles and a good looking body. Is it true? I mean I do want to be healthy, I just don't eat just healthy things

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I've Read in one of the topics here that even if I'm in a deficit and doing exercises but I don't eat just healthy stuff I won't get muscles and a good looking body. Is it true? I mean I do want to be healthy, I just don't eat just healthy things

No it's rubbish

But if you want to build muscles you need to either bulk and cut or recomp and make sure you hit your minimum protein (0.64-0.8g per lb bodyweight) and fat (0.35g per lb bodyweight) macros

Bulk and cut - eat at surplus calories, eat adequate protein, follow a progressive resistance programme...then do exactly the same but eating at defecit to cut

Recomp - eat at or slightly below maintenance, eat adequate protein, follow a progressive resistance programme

You don't really build muscles in defecit apart from some newbie gains, or teenage boy exceptions
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Of course the overall nutritional value of diet does matter for health which does impact on how you look ..but that doesn't dictate clean eating at all..just a focus on macros and micronutrients within your diet ...many follow at 80 / 20 rule for "healthy/perceived as junk" foods
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused about what you're saying.

Are you saying that they told you you had to eat healthy foods to build muscle? Or specific foods, like protein?

Or

Are you saying that you were told that you cannot build muscle while eating "in a deficit"?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What kids of foods do you eat??

• mirunizzle9
    mirunizzle9 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Are you saying that they told you you had to eat healthy foods to build muscle? Or specific foods, like protein?

Or

Are you saying that you were told that you cannot build muscle while eating "in a deficit"?

That I have to eat just healthy food, I mean without treats, to build muscle. I, personally, eat normal, just portion control.
  • mirunizzle9
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I eat potatoes, mushrooms, pork, ground meat, sandwiches, but I also eat sweets, popcorn and other things that are not considered healthy
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I eat potatoes, mushrooms, pork, ground meat, sandwiches, but I also eat sweets, popcorn and other things that are not considered healthy

Don't we all

80/20
  • Kalikel
    edited October 2015
    Options

Or

That I have to eat just healthy food, I mean without treats, to build muscle. I, personally, eat normal, just portion control.
    Nope, you don't have to eat healthy food to build muscle. The single most important thing is just to get enough calories. Technically....theoretically...there is a number you could eat and build muscle while not gaining weight. But that's a theoretical number and not a number anyone can really figure out, for sure, so most people who want to build muscle, eat enough to gain weight while they build muscle (bulk.). Then, they diet for a while to get the excess fat off and then eat more again. They call the dieting "cutting." They do these cut and bulk cycles. It's kind of like yo-yo dieting, but with a purpose.

Healthy food makes healthy bodies! It can prevent disease (if we are lucky) and can help improve some diseases (with luck, again). I'm very Pro on the healthy food and not attempting to discourage it's consumption in any way. Really. But it's not necessary if you want to build muscle.

If a cheeseburger and a shake would prevent people from building muscle, most of the bodybuilders would be scrawny.

You could eat nothing but junk and still build muscle. :)
  • mirunizzle9
    Options

Or

Nope, you don't have to eat healthy food to build muscle. The single most important thing is just to get enough calories. Technically....theoretically...there is a number you could eat and build muscle while not gaining weight. But that's a theoretical number and not a number anyone can really figure out, for sure, so most people who want to build muscle, eat enough to gain weight while they build muscle (bulk.). Then, they diet for a while to get the excess fat off and then eat more again. They call the dieting "cutting." They do these cut and bulk cycles. It's kind of like yo-yo dieting, but with a purpose.

Healthy food makes healthy bodies! It can prevent disease (if we are lucky) and can help improve some diseases (with luck, again). I'm very Pro on the healthy food and not attempting to discourage it's consumption in any way. Really. But it's not necessary if you want to build muscle.

If a cheeseburger and a shake would prevent people from building muscle, most of the bodybuilders would be scrawny.

Thank you for the explication. I don't want to build very big muscles, but I do want to look good, you know :)
  • Kalikel
    Options

Or

Thank you for the explication. I don't want to build very big muscles, but I do want to look good, you know :)
    I'm not into it, either. I lift the weights for the sole purpose (hope?) of strengthening my bones. I will never look good and don't even kid myself on that one, lol.

But a lot of people here are very into it and could give you lots of tips, pointers, book recommendations, etc. you should check out the weight lifting stuff for tips! :)

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You are correct.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Say's who?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I looked healthier when I began exercising more. It put pink in my cheeks. It takes considerable effort to "body build". If you want strength and health, you can certainly lift weights with no fear you will bulk up.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes for me 80/20 is magic because even if I got myself to 100% I sure as heck couldn't maintain that! But going from say 50/50 to 80/20 is very do-able and also sustainable for me.
    I would add it is easier to look good with sub par food when one has the innate vitality and cell turnover of youth. Just like drugs, alcohol & nicotine, highly processed, strip mined & artificially concocted foodstuffs start to show in the skin, hair, teeth, etc of women my age (50s) even if they have maintained a lifelong low BMI with decent muscle tone.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I knew a work associate who looked in top shape to the point he ha a completely defined body with six pack abs. His diet at work was horrible. Honey buns daily from the vending machines. On Tuesdays evenings he would drink a half pint of whiskey and Popeye's chicken after workshift. I'm not sure what else he ate for the rest of the week. He religiously worked out. He used boxing training for his workouts. Well, last year he had a massive heart attack in his sleep and never woke up. So I do believe that you are what you eat. Looking good on the outside doesn't mean that you are fit. I believe eating unregulated junk calories will clog our arterys, introduce diabetes and provide a better environment for cancer to possibly be born. Please try and eat sensibly. I don't even want to remove junk food from my diet so I will only look at is as a rare occasion. Those days for me to eat a whole tasty bag of chips are hopefully over
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sinbadfxdl wrote: »
    I knew a work associate who looked in top shape to the point he ha a completely defined body with six pack abs. His diet at work was horrible. Honey buns daily from the vending machines. On Tuesdays evenings he would drink a half pint of whiskey and Popeye's chicken after workshift. I'm not sure what else he ate for the rest of the week. He religiously worked out. He used boxing training for his workouts. Well, last year he had a massive heart attack in his sleep and never woke up. So I do believe that you are what you eat. Looking good on the outside doesn't mean that you are fit. I believe eating unregulated junk calories will clog our arterys, introduce diabetes and provide a better environment for cancer to possibly be born. Please try and eat sensibly. I don't even want to remove junk food from my diet so I will only look at is as a rare occasion. Those days for me to eat a whole tasty bag of chips are hopefully over

I think that's taking an unfortunate death, where you don't know the actual circumstances but are ascribing to clogged arteries from diet, and extrapolating wildly

Of course it is important to have a healthy nutritious diet but ruling out a tasty bag of chips out of fear when you have a generally healthy lifestyle is an overreaction

Many years ago I lost someone to a heart attack too...a seemingly healthy 28 year old...but a simple virus had unknowingly attacked and weakened his heart
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You're choosing a lot of food that does not have macro information (carbs, fat, protein.) To me, that calls into question the accuracy of the calorie information.

5d3c072ef7b1f9e0d0e70e6e18f6aec7.png

Is there a way you can verify the nutritional content of the foods? If so, you can Edit the entries to add the macros and correct the calorie information as needed.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

You will get out what you put in.

Do the correct exercise, fuel your body right and have patience and you will get to where you want to be.

If you are looking to build muscle then you need to be eating in a calorie surplus.

If you want to increase your lean mass percentage and loss weight then focus on resistance training and getting enough protein in your diet.

At the end of the day for weight loss it is just about a deficit.

For healthy loss it's about a deficit and food choice.

Good luck.