Things to go in salads

Options

Replies

• amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    my go to's are :olives, sundried tomatoes, palm hearts, 3 bean salad, hummus, artichoke hearts, cranberries, nuts, aples, mandarins, im forgetting a ton of stuff ...basically anything not nailed down in my fridge....i love salads
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I buy the large white 'gigante' beans from Italy (Annalisa brand) and rinse them before adding them to salads. They are delicious & and add protein.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like mine with romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, egg, and red wine vinegar. Sometimes I'll replace either the egg or the cheese with leftover meat from dinner throughout the week. Sometimes I like some croutons. Sometimes I like onion or green peppers.

I find that mixing it up is fun.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Um, BACON!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Um, BACON!

UMMMMM bacon.... nom nom nom nom!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    So many things!

Oh, and sardines. :smile:

A super easy, cheap, healthy way to add protein to a salad.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I like a plain salad. I'll put a mixture of greens like lettuce, chicory, spinach, and kale. Then top with tomato, carrot, egg, cucumber, a little cheese, and some type of meat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I use whatever I have in the refrigerator (including whatever protein option I have). One thing I like to do is add some cooked vegetables too. And IMO one can never go wrong with olives.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I use whatever I have in the refrigerator (including whatever protein option I have). One thing I like to do is add some cooked vegetables too. And IMO one can never go wrong with olives.

+1 for olives
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Twice this week I've had a container of "spring mix" with a can of pink salmon on top. I absolutely love eating fish, especially salmon, so that combined with a yummy miso scallion dressing and I was in hog heaven (at a cost of about 280 calories, too!)
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    carrot, radishes, mushrooms, snow peas,broccoli, cauliflower, grilled chicken, chopped turkey, ham, shredded cheese, sunflower seeds, pecans, grilled steak, canned tuna or chicken
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I make a simple caesar salad for lunch. Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, seasoned croutons, parmesan cheese, grilled chicken, and spicy caesar dressing.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love to roast a bunch of veggies (Brussels sprouts, squash, carrots, etc) and throw those into a salad. Add some chicken and goat cheese and it's a great nutrient dense meal.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a mixture of greens with cucumber, gorgonzola, sunflower seeds or some kind of nut, dried cranberries, and champagne vinaigrette.

I'll pretty much eat any salad, though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My favorite is a mixture of greens with cucumber, gorgonzola, sunflower seeds or some kind of nut, dried cranberries, and champagne vinaigrette.

I'll pretty much eat any salad, though.

That sounds lovely!
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads is
    Lettuce
    Red pepper
    Small amount of onion
    Grilled chicken
    Grilled pineapple
    Cheddar cheese cubes (1oz)
    And for dressing I add a little salsa
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lettuce, corn and black beans with southwest ranch and tortilla strips is a really good one.

But for a "regular salad" I usually do lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, onions, green peppers, ranch and a little shredded cheddar. Sometimes I add peas.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So many great suggestions!
    I'd also like to add: herbs & spices. Don't forget that you can sprinkle on deliciousness without adding calories. My favorite at the moment is a spicy Sriracha blend of spices.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Turkey Pepperoni
    Green Olives
    Chickpeas