Keto diet!

Options
13»

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I really do think that individuals should at least let the primary care doctor know about their weight management plans. Personally, I told my doctor that I do better and feel better with 100-130 grams of healthy carb per day. So my diet is not 'balanced' per se. She is just happy that I eat healthy and am losing weight. MFP really is my pal!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I really do think that individuals should at least let the primary care doctor know about their weight management plans.

I do not raise it personally, to avoid encountering a doctor who makes the same errors as you and goes off on one about an irrelevant condition like DKA. Once I said I was losing weight and that was put down as a symptom !
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think that's where having the right doctor comes in. I've had the same one for more than 20 years and can discuss anything with her. I see your point with a keto diet. Still, some labwork wouldn't hurt.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I really do think that individuals should at least let the primary care doctor know about their weight management plans. Personally, I told my doctor that I do better and feel better with 100-130 grams of healthy carb per day. So my diet is not 'balanced' per se. She is just happy that I eat healthy and am losing weight. MFP really is my pal!

Most doctors know very little about nutrition. And in general, I'd recommend staying away from WebMD (anytime I search symptoms it tells me I have cancer).

You have raised several concerns for people with underlying diseases (although neither of them had to do with keto). And diabetics know all about keto acidosis and people with kidney problems should know not to eat high protein diets.

Now, I don't follow keto and I'm not a fan of extreme diets (such as severely limiting one macro), but there's no reason to fear monger about it.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think that's where having the right doctor comes in. I've had the same one for more than 20 years and can discuss anything with her. I see your point with a keto diet. Still, some labwork wouldn't hurt.

Nobody needs any different lab work on low carb than any other patient would! It is all the same as a regular annual lab order! Many people do BETTER than on a lot of carbs and low fat on all numbers! Not everyone has a reputable doc of 20 years...Again, you should really look into this stuff.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Ok. I looked on WebMd, one of my trusted sources. A Ketogenic diet can become dangerous if ketones build up. It can lead to dehydration and change the chemical composition of the blood. I still say your doctor should be involved.

You're talking about ketoacidosis. Do you have a link of where you found your information on WebMd? Because I did a search for "ketogenic diet" and I didn't find it.
  • patricialcyoung
    patricialcyoung Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to mfp and to keto. Right now I'm morbidly obese (335lbs/5'8" tall) and hoping to lose weight before undergoing gastric sleeve surgery. Because I'm a vegetarian, I'm having a real hard time finding a good meal plan. I don't eat meat, chicken, pork or fish because I gag if I see them on my plate. Does anybody know of a site where I can get a keto vegetarian meal plan? I really need help... Thank you guys.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This might help @patricialcyoung http://lowcarbuk.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/atkins-for-vegetarians.html

Sit down and figure out where you're going to get say 100 grams of protein from with a low carb content as that's the biggest issue I see with vegetarian low carb. Confine your eating to an 8 or 10 hour window too.