Runners... what is this about?

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You are also doing a workout now that is asking the body to go longer - the response to that is not more muscle, but more glucose stores.

You are packing them in to endurance longer.

Since glucose stores with water - there ya go.

This is good needed water though, it's part of LBM, and as such is an increase to metabolism.

You'll likely need to eat more. For one thing to keep stores topped off for the long training runs.

For sure the week of the race, back off on the diet and pack in the carbs, you'll need them.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You are also doing a workout now that is asking the body to go longer - the response to that is not more muscle, but more glucose stores.

You are packing them in to endurance longer.

Since glucose stores with water - there ya go.

This is good needed water though, it's part of LBM, and as such is an increase to metabolism.

You'll likely need to eat more. For one thing to keep stores topped off for the long training runs.

For sure the week of the race, back off on the diet and pack in the carbs, you'll need them.

I never had a clue.

BTW Ive read a lot of your stuff and appreciate your knowledge and the way you share it. Thank you much.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    When I added in running to my workout to train for an event, I gained 5 lbs after maintaining my weight for over a year.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yes...same for me. I gained weight while training for a marathon....
    its irritating and mind boggling.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Storing More Glycogen
    Untrained athletes who begin an endurance-training program can increase their body’s ability to store muscle glycogen by 60-70%. Endurance-trained athletes consuming a high carbohydrate diet and/or carbohydrate loading can also increase muscle glycogen stores by nearly double that of the untrained state.
    As you may have read in the article on carbohydrate loading, for every ounce of glycogen, the body also stores 3 ounces of water. That extra water your body is storing will show up as extra “weight” on the scale. Water weight will contribute even more to overall weight if you are being more diligent at staying hydrated than you were before beginning your training regimen.
    Water weight will fluctuate throughout the days and weeks and is not reflective actual weight gain as fat mass. Remind yourself that being able to store extra glycogen and fluids is a good thing- you will need this for training and especially race day.

Googled this and found it interesting... thought I would share.