Ugh! Spitting out????

Options

Replies

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »

PSA: From a microbiology perspective hamburger generally shouldn't be eaten medium rare. Since the meat is ground up you are at a higher chance of developing food borne illness since the meat that can potentially be exposed to pathogens is all ground up together as opposed to a steak where it's only the outside which even a rare or medium rare the exposed part is cooked.

I honestly didn't know that. Thanks for the PSA!

I didn't either...I always have mine medium rare!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I do not have a disorder, but I do not do this on a regular basis. However I have put food in my mouth and decided it was not worth the calories and I spit it back out. I have done this about three times in the past 3 months, but I cant say that i will not do it again. i.e. The skin on chicken..ijs
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of that Sex in the City episode when they are out in L.A. and Miranda meets an old friend for dinner... they both have NY Strip Steaks and he chews about 10 times then spits into the napkin. She asks him what he's doing and he says "I'm tasting my food, what, you think I maintain my weight by actually swallowing my food?"

Right! It reminds me of that one show where the protagonist loses weight by eating super low calories and killing herself with cardio. Can't remember the name of that one, though...

I bet you this is CSI season 2, Episode 23, "The Hunger Artist". I remember a diary filled with symbols, where the dieter meticulously recorded calories-in, calories-out (not accounting for metabolism I'm betting) to maintain a zero balance.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

PSA: From a microbiology perspective hamburger generally shouldn't be eaten medium rare. Since the meat is ground up you are at a higher chance of developing food borne illness since the meat that can potentially be exposed to pathogens is all ground up together as opposed to a steak where it's only the outside which even a rare or medium rare the exposed part is cooked.

While true, I'm a microbiologist and I order my hamburgers medium rare. The risk is greater, but it is not all that much greater if the meat is handled and prepared properly (use judgement here). I think it's worth it for a burger I actually want to eat. I say this as someone who has had a really bad case of food poisoning (from a salad, not a burger).

Mind you, I'm healthy - if my immune system were suppressed for some reason I'd get them well done.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

While true, I'm a microbiologist and I order my hamburgers medium rare. The risk is greater, but it is not all that much greater if the meat is handled and prepared properly (use judgement here). I think it's worth it for a burger I actually want to eat. I say this as someone who has had a really bad case of food poisoning (from a salad, not a burger).

Mind you, I'm healthy - if my immune system were suppressed for some reason I'd get them well done.

As long as it's ah educated risk. Lots of factors at play with food borne illness! Based off large scale farming practices I'd say close to never as for best practice meat handling. They don't spray meat with ammonia hydroxide for no reason lol ;)

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yw, the more you know ;)
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was severely anorexic and she made a habit of doing this. I don't think it is healthy for us to be finding ways to justify this dangerous behavior. Just because some people have done it , does not make it ok. Taste testing is not the same as using this as weight management. My friend was actually concerned about the calories she breathed in when cooking food. It's not that difficult to work out for an hour if you eat something naughty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What? I swallow food. I didn't get fat by spitting.

I don't know you well enough to know if you are really talking about swallowing food or a non food item that is commonly discussed in terms of spitting or swallowing ;)

I plead the fifth.

Ok, the first thing that came to my mind was right after all ;)

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

As long as it's ah educated risk. Lots of factors at play with food borne illness! Based off large scale farming practices I'd say close to never as for best practice meat handling. They don't spray meat with ammonia hydroxide for no reason lol ;)

Considering the amount of contamination present in many small-scale farms, I wish some of them would do the same. Some small-scale farms are very careful in their practices. Others are not so much. And since many small-scale farms don't have their product regularly tested for contamination like the large-scale operations do it's difficult to tell which is which until it's too late.

Honestly, I trust large-scale farms in that regard more than small-scale farms in the absence of any other information.

Anyway, when I say proper handling, I mean that the establishment (whether that's the grocery store, a restaurant, or an individual) has stored the meat at the proper temperature and for a short amount of time, kept their cooking/prep surfaces and tools clean, washed their hands properly and frequently, etc.

That's why I would not order a medium rare burger at a fast food place or the fair even if it were available - inconsistent food safety practices. On the other hand, at an established and apparently clean and well-run restaurant (bonus points if I can see into the kitchen)? I'll take that risk.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Chewing and spitting, isn't that like one step away from eating and throwing up?

They should probably seek help.

What does she do when eating out? Order a doggie bag just to spit in?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Chewing and spitting, isn't that like one step away from eating and throwing up?
    Yup! It is! It's less bad for your body, but C&S people can develop issues because of it. I'd rather hear that someone is doing C&S than vomiting, but neither one is good for your body.

C&S, in and of itself, is not considered an ED, but it is considered disordered. The word "disordered" gets thrown around on these boards a lot - and often incorrectly - but this would not be a case where people are just playing armchair psychiatrist. It really is disordered.

It is also a hop, skip and a jump from vomiting, which will quickly get you into anorexic and/or bulimic territory.

If you know someone who is doing C&S, discourage it. Talk to them about anorexia and don't let them blow it off. They probably won't believe it's dangerous, but it's worth trying.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ok all of you. Op here. I need advice on how to tell her something. Any self help books I could suggest to her????
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I do not know of self help books for this topic. "sigh"

Just tell her that is gross and DO NOT DO THAT... I would have to walk away from that really fast.. Perhaps you should try it, maybe that will tell her "something"...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Reminds me of that Sex in the City episode when they are out in L.A. and Miranda meets an old friend for dinner... they both have NY Strip Steaks and he chews about 10 times then spits into the napkin. She asks him what he's doing and he says "I'm tasting my food, what, you think I maintain my weight by actually swallowing my food?"

Right! It reminds me of that one show where the protagonist loses weight by eating super low calories and killing herself with cardio. Can't remember the name of that one, though...

I bet you this is CSI season 2, Episode 23, "The Hunger Artist". I remember a diary filled with symbols, where the dieter meticulously recorded calories-in, calories-out (not accounting for metabolism I'm betting) to maintain a zero balance.

And she weighed each bowel movement too, if I'm thinking of the same episode?

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

...I'm glad I have no interest in watching CSI...

I would say she needs to speak to someone. Books can be great, but this is something she'd need help with.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    Ok all of you. Op here. I need advice on how to tell her something. Any self help books I could suggest to her????

I wouldn't begin to know about books. Some *might* be good and some wouldn't, but even if they're good, it depends on the person reading them. Some people feel that they're too smart for self-help books and others read them and find explanations they can use as excuses.

Encourage your friend to seek therapy from someone who specializes in EDs. You don't have to have an ED to see those people and they're trained on how to handle things like this. If she's in school, the school might have psychologists...there may even be a therapist who will donate time through your church. If you ask a priest-/minister/rabbi, they will often know someone else who would be willing to donate their time.

Helping people with EDs is not easy. Even highly-trained and experienced pros cannot save everyone. It is likely that your friend will blow you off. But explain that she's entered disordered territory already and should seek help so that it doesn't get worse. Once you've done that, you've done what you could. Don't feel responsible for this person. They make their own choices!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

This is one of the few episodes of CSI I've ever watched; yes she did weigh everything, as well as gouging stuff out of her (or someone elses?) face. It still creeps me out until this day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »

Show her this http://eating-disorders.org.uk/chewing-and-spitting-food/ or similar and suggest she get therapy if she can't just stop. Do express your concern but avoid use of the word "gross" and otherwise being judgmental, which will make her defensive and unreceptive.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great article! I will forward to her.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was severely anorexic and she made a habit of doing this. I don't think it is healthy for us to be finding ways to justify this dangerous behavior. Just because some people have done it , does not make it ok. Taste testing is not the same as using this as weight management. My friend was actually concerned about the calories she breathed in when cooking food. It's not that difficult to work out for an hour if you eat something naughty.

Exactly