What is your passion?

Options

Replies

• drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Teaching. Learning. How kids learn. I have been teaching for 14 years and this year I feel more energized than I have in a long time--new principal, new staff members, promotion to Assistant Principal, more responsibilities. I love my job in a way I haven't in a long time.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Music. I'm a gigging musician and music teacher.

I'm a music teacher too. I also love my critters and sewing and other fiber/textile arts.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I have several things I sort of like to do but nothing that I actually feel passionate about.

And that's OK. You don't need to feel passionate about things.

I did get kind of caught up in the quest to find something I felt passionate about back when I was in my late 20s, but then I realised, it's OK to just enjoy doing a variety of things without being all passionate about them. :)

Probably explains why I've had a whole variety of jobs over the years ... and dabbled in so many things.

Maybe I'm just passionate about variety. :grin: Either that or I bore easily. :mrgreen:

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    God, my husband, our children.

Work, I work with disabled pre-schoolers. Outside of my answers above, it's the most rewarding thing in my life.

On a lesser level, baking, creating (crochet, knitting, painting, quilting, scrapbooking) nature, hiking especially. <3

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to say "passion" because, as a schizoid, everything is... attenuated, opaque.

But I am never bored, because I do like to do many things: painting, reading, playing the piano, to name a few. But also watching tv-series, studying languages, live in foreign countries, playing with my cats, playing video games.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me, it's football (SC Gamecocks and Carolina Pathers). Children and husband go without saying. For sports fans there is nothing like the joy a game brings you (even when it's stressful and possibly soul crushing if you lose). You get to know the players and their personalities but you also learn play strategies and get to see how it's all choreographed together to make one harmonious game where lots of people also happen to be getting beat up. I have something to talk about in any social setting and my husband and I don't just have to have it all be about work and kids. I'm also four years sober, alcohol doesn't have a thing to do with it. Now if you tell me you love The Hobbit or Games of Thrones I'll look at you like you kicked my dog because I can't fathom for the life of me the following behind those franchises. To each their own.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There's only room for one passion in our relationship - ..... classic motorbikes ... Dearest OH is always either racing them, repairing them, building them, talking about them, displaying them, buying them or selling them ....

I am always watching him race them, cleaning his clothes after he's repaired them, listening to him talking about them .... travelling miles to somewhere where he displays them, inputting them for sale on websites... and balling him out for spending too much money on them :#
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    God, music & dancing, my husband, my dogs. In that order :smile:
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have several things I sort of like to do but nothing that I actually feel passionate about.

I did get kind of caught up in the quest to find something I felt passionate about back when I was in my late 20s, but then I realised, it's OK to just enjoy doing a variety of things without being all passionate about them. :)

Probably explains why I've had a whole variety of jobs over the years ... and dabbled in so many things.

Maybe I'm just passionate about variety. :grin: Either that or I bore easily. :mrgreen:

Makes sense. Maybe having interests without getting passionately excited is enough. Somewhere on the thread someone said I might look into depression due to an empty feeling. I didn't say I feel empty. I just don't have anything that makes me anywhere as excited as my husband and his sports!

Please note all that I did not make the alcohol comment about sports. I don think that's a big reason why people are passionate about sports. I grew in a family that didn't watch sports where my husband did. No big deal.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My family, learning to sew, cooking, and trying to start an online business.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    Animal rescue.
    +1 to you! As for me, I love playing video games, reading, socializing, editing videos, and cooking.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Warcraft; learning to day trade so I can escape the rat race so I can do things I want to do, not waste time doing things I don't want to do.

First thing I'd indulge in is getting ready for a bikini competition.

Is warcraft a metaphor for your day trading or like...world of warcraft? Because I support both equally =]
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options

Makes sense. Maybe having interests without getting passionately excited is enough. Somewhere on the thread someone said I might look into depression due to an empty feeling. I didn't say I feel empty. I just don't have anything that makes me anywhere as excited as my husband and his sports!

Some people are just more excited about stuff than others.

For example, I like travelling. I'd do it all the time if I could. But I don't get all excited about it.

I remember once, it was about 2 weeks before flying from Canada to London to get together with my Australian fiance who I had not seen in months, and travel around Europe together for a month. One of my coworkers bounced into my office just beside herself with excitement for me. 2 weeks to go ... I must be so incredibly excited. How could I possibly work? I must be bouncing off walls, doing cartwheels down the hallway, screaming in delight ....

But I was doing none of those things. I was just calmly working. There was lots to do before I could leave, and that's what I was doing. I feel a mild surge of excitement when I'm on the plane and it is taxi-ing down the runway. But that's about it.

I don't know why I don't feel excitement. But it does seem to drive others crazy ... even my husband (who was that fiance I mentioned earlier), who has known me for years now, still occasionally thinks I must not like something or must not want to do something when I don't gush delight.

I just don't have the gushing-delight-bouncing-off-wall-cartwheels-down-the-hallway gene ... or something.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Used to be online video games. Now, I'm not really sure. I guess some TV shows, books, and movies.

And food. Unfortunately.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Photography
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

For example, I like travelling. I'd do it all the time if I could. But I don't get all excited about it.

I remember once, it was about 2 weeks before flying from Canada to London to get together with my Australian fiance who I had not seen in months, and travel around Europe together for a month. One of my coworkers bounced into my office just beside herself with excitement for me. 2 weeks to go ... I must be so incredibly excited. How could I possibly work? I must be bouncing off walls, doing cartwheels down the hallway, screaming in delight ....

But I was doing none of those things. I was just calmly working. There was lots to do before I could leave, and that's what I was doing. I feel a mild surge of excitement when I'm on the plane and it is taxi-ing down the runway. But that's about it.

I don't know why I don't feel excitement. But it does seem to drive others crazy ... even my husband (who was that fiance I mentioned earlier), who has known me for years now, still occasionally thinks I must not like something or must not want to do something when I don't gush delight.

I just don't have the gushing-delight-bouncing-off-wall-cartwheels-down-the-hallway gene ... or something.

I have a couple people in my life that are like that. We joke with the one that when we get more than one exclamation point in a text or an e-mail, it must me he is extremely excited. I once heard him say he was excited...just once :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

I have a couple people in my life that are like that. We joke with the one that when we get more than one exclamation point in a text or an e-mail, it must me he is extremely excited. I once heard him say he was excited...just once :)

Lol! I am exactly this way about traveling and big events. I don't gush with excitement. I'm happy when I get there.
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Poker and Chess.
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Dogs and the 49ers
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Cocaine