Is cold canned soup (in general) safe to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Although it would screw up your BMI calculations
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    teephil wrote: »
    I just want to point out the inside of those cans are coated in a plastic epoxy. The metal isn't going to hurt you. You might grow a third arm from the BPA though... Wait, am I helping?

Imagine what you could do with an extra arm though

It's almost worth it

Taking multitasking to a new level.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's precooked, so you won't get salmonella or anything. It's loaded with salt, though. Even saltaholics might find it too salty.

Cold soup is saltier than warm soup?

Some soups require adding a can full of water before heating, therefore they would taste less salty when prepared as instructed.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I remember when recipes were made from cans. Anyone recall five bean salad? Now advanced and widely available shipping, refrigeration and freezing allows us to have fresher foods year-round.

Yes, foods straight from the can are safe. http://health.yodelout.com/principles-of-canning-and-preserving/

All about can coatings. Happy reading.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Safe? Yes.
    Gross? Oh god yes. Right up there with eating cold hot dogs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Baked beans straight from a can, with a fork though

Now that's worth it
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's precooked, so you won't get salmonella or anything. It's loaded with salt, though. Even saltaholics might find it too salty.

Cold soup is saltier than warm soup?

Some soups require adding a can full of water before heating, therefore they would taste less salty when prepared as instructed.

I guess some soups don't require adding water? I didn't know that. In that case, they wouldn't be saltier.

Live and learn! :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Condensed soups (like the "red and white label" Campbell's soups) require adding water. Progresso soups (which are way better, IMO) do not. Still high in sodium, so if you have a problem with salt, it's an issue, hot or cold.

In any case, while soup right out of the can is safe, I think it's too disgusting to contemplate.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Baked beans straight from a can, with a fork though

Now that's worth it

Yes, a thousand times yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Condensed soups (like the "red and white label" Campbell's soups) require adding water. Progresso soups (which are way better, IMO) do not. Still high in sodium, so if you have a problem with salt, it's an issue, hot or cold.

In any case, while soup right out of the can is safe, I think it's too disgusting to contemplate.

This. I haven't bought condensed soup in I don't know how long.

Although, when I had just a few minutes at home during college, I would now and then eat cold chili out of the can. And similarly when the hurricane rolled through town.