What do you do when...

Options
garber6th
garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
What do you do when people put their two cents in about what you are eating? Like, "are you supposed to be eating that?" or "I thought you were on a diet?". This is a huge pet peeve of mine! I never really know what to say without sounding rude. Usually my response is just "yes". If they push it further I say, "clearly I didn't need your help to lose 53 lbs, so when I need your advice I will be sure to ask".

7396232.png

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    just say "yes because I'm bad @ss" or if you want to be ruder say "when's the last time you took your own advice?"
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I take no notice as I assume they don't know what they're talking about and they usually prove that when I asked them why I shouldn't have it.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Throat punch and then tell them to mind their own business. My food is not their concern.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Throat punch and then tell them to mind their own business. My food is not their concern.

That would be my go-to response normally lol... but I get this a lot from coworkers so I try to be more tactful, which is not always easy for me!!
  • apexgtp
    apexgtp Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "It's okay, I'll go throw it up in about 10 minutes... I only need it in my stomach long enough to absorb the nutrition!"

You have to give detail to make them wonder if you're being serious. Works every time!
  • garber6th
    Options
    "It's okay, I'll go throw it up in about 10 minutes... I only need it in my stomach long enough to absorb the nutrition!"

You have to give detail to make them wonder if you're being serious. Works every time!

Awesome :laugh:
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I try very hard not to get angry. I just smile and joke around, but this is a toughie for me. I have friends who constantly do this. The other day I was buying a food scale, and they kept on asking me why I wanted to weigh my food, jokingly of course, but it was getting me really mad. :s
  • albr0271
    albr0271 Posts: 10
    Options
    i'm guilty of doing that before :( but if people say that to me i just tell them i don't care and it sounded delicious hah
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who gets super pissy about this as well. Sometimes my boyfriend says I'm overreacting but it really does get to you.
  • garber6th
    Options
    Hiyomi, I am with you. To me it is so passive-aggressive, that almost any response can make you sound defensive. I am sure people think they are being helpful, but to me it's kind of crossing a line.
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    I start to chew with my mouth wide open. Usually shuts them right the hell up.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just tell them that they must be mistaken. You're not on a "diet".
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find that if you start to give them a very detailed description of your diet they lose interest very fast and never ask again...bore them to death with protein counts and whole versus processed carbohydrates and list vitamins that you fret about getting enough of or whatever...people never really know how much they really don't WANT to know sometimes...just be prepared for that rare person who really is looking to understand your system becasue once you start feeding them information they will keep asking, but it's good to share with the truly interested and get rid of the critically opinionated...
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    No one tells me such things.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

That would be my go-to response normally lol... but I get this a lot from coworkers so I try to be more tactful, which is not always easy for me!!

I usually just stare the person dead in the eye and ask them coldly if they really think they're in a position to be asking me about my nutritional needs, and remark about how I never knew they were a registered nutritionist/dietician.

I'm a bit blunt about it, but they tend to get off their high horse quickly.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would get angry or uncomfortable when people would comment on what I was eating, and "Should you be eating that?" is always irritating. What I've observed over the past year though, because I've had a heightened awareness of it, is that people comment on everyone's food! It's just part of the lunch time conversation in the staff room or family events, or natural concern or curiosity at home. I'm sure my very young male co-worker finds it annoying that all the women at lunch constantly comment on his peanut butter on white bread sandwiches and half a large bag of potato chip lunches packed in a lunch box with someone else's name on it because it got left at his house and it was handy. He just smiles and moves on with his lunch though.

My long winded point is that look around and you will see you are not the only one being asked about what you are eating, it really is just part of our shared culture to talk about food.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    When I first started I would get angry or uncomfortable when people would comment on what I was eating, and "Should you be eating that?" is always irritating. What I've observed over the past year though, because I've had a heightened awareness of it, is that people comment on everyone's food! It's just part of the lunch time conversation in the staff room or family events, or natural concern or curiosity at home. I'm sure my very young male co-worker finds it annoying that all the women at lunch constantly comment on his peanut butter on white bread sandwiches and half a large bag of potato chip lunches packed in a lunch box with someone else's name on it because it got left at his house and it was handy. He just smiles and moves on with his lunch though.

My long winded point is that look around and you will see you are not the only one being asked about what you are eating, it really is just part of our shared culture to talk about food.

I half disagree with this, although people talk about food at the table a lot. They always tend to go pick on the person that is dieting of trying to lose weight. I see it as, if it was a conversation, everyone should be included. Not just a person or people picking on another. When the whole table is "Should you be eating that? Why don't you just get a salad? That's bad for you. Why are you eating chips? Get a celery instead." That is crossing the line :s
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I just tell them if it fits in my calories I'll eat it. It does get kind of annoying if someone sees you eating a few cookies & exclaims loudly, "oh I thought you were on a diet?"
  • hiyomi
    Options
    It really is very annoying, I have a few friends, they are super cool/nice and will be there for you when they want to be, but they can also be the most critical person ever. They love to argue to the ends of the Earth and think its funny when they get you mad. You can't argue back with them because they will keep going and you can't get mad because they will keep going and have accomplished their goal. Sigh, I don't even want to get started on it -_-
  • melmobs1
    melmobs1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sooo Irritating, especially since they all eat way worse then I do!