What do you do when...

Options

Replies

• misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just tell them that they must be mistaken. You're not on a "diet".

I like this one.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I guess you could always say to them, "I burned XXXX calories this week. You?" I suppose that some people just don't understand the term "healthy diet and exercise"; to them its self-deprivation and sitting on your @zz whining about it.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I guess you could always say to them, "I burned XXXX calories this week. You?" I suppose that some people just don't understand the term "healthy diet and exercise"; to them its self-deprivation and sitting on your @zz whining about it.

Ugh, I have tried this one before lol all I get back is "Doesn't matter if you just eat it all back in one day." When all we did was go out for like wings... -_-
  • marlinirby
    Options
    Lol
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    The middle finger works perfectly, and you don't even have to waste your breath :happy:
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    WHO CALLED THE FOOD POLICE?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I haven't really experienced that this time around, but if I did, I'd just say something like, "Well, I've lost 40 lbs eating what I want in moderation."
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    It's only annoying because you are hungry and malnourished from your poor food choices.

I get a whole lot more of "what have you done to lose so much weight?" than I get of "should you be eating that?"
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    People eventually stopped asking, but usually I would try to explain how I have made effort to accomodate my diet for this indulgence.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I just shrug and say, "I know, you're right."

...then I add, "You're so lucky...you're eating for two, so you get to eat, and are eating, anything you want, right? I wish I could be like you and just not care about what I look like."

:wink:
  • dbratton87
    dbratton87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I NEED to figure out how to explain this to my husband. I have lost 40 lbs and I DID cut out certain foods completely for most of that time just cause it didn't feel worth it but I never had the intention of NEVER eating those again. So now that I am 15 lbs from where I want to be I am starting to eat sweets and things in moderation (like, VERY healthy moderation) and he always tsks me! Not in a mean way, he kind of smiles cutely when he does it but he thinks he is helping when he is really just making me want to punch him in the throat!
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I stare at them for a couple of seconds, flash a big bright smile, then say in my best Southern drawl, "You're so sweet to be concerned!" Then drop the smile and move on without saying another word.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    I hate these types of comments too... usually it's something, like "oh wait, are you allowed to eat this on your diet?" when trying to make dinner plans of some sort...
    I just say "I eat whatever I want, I'm not dieting".
    My food choices just happen to be a lot healthier than the majortiy of people (most of the time! ahahhaa).
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I just shrug and say, "I know, you're right."

...then I add, "You're so lucky...you're eating for two, so you get to eat, and are eating, anything you want, right? I wish I could be like you and just not care about what I look like."

:wink:

Ouch, but sounds like it would work.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You want comments about what you're eating, try being a vegetarian eating at a healthy deficit. Suddenly, everyone is a dietician and has to explain at great length why what I'm doing won't work (never mind the 90 lbs I already lost doing what I am doing) and desperate to know exactly where I am getting all of my protein, fat, omega-3, B-12...you get the idea. It does get tiresome. When I get tired of answering prying questions, I'll often just start asking them the same questions. It can be fun watching them stumble for an answer.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can eat what I want but I'm the one who has lost 25lbs.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I tell them I can eat whatever I like, I've either planned for it, am going to work it off, have already earned it, or I just want it. It's really not for anyone else to comment, so just nod and go mmmhmm and ignore it.
  • talk2elles
    talk2elles Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't usually mind as most of the time people are asking me 'should you be eating that' just as I'm tucking into a slice of pizza :smile: I take it as a sign that they care and I can completely understand why they think I might have gone off the rails and are trying to nudge me in the right direction. If I can lose weight and eat the food I like then I am going to do it.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to not have to deal with this with my co-workers...they are awesome when it comes to this. Mind you it's a relatively small office, but no judgement at all!

Some family members on the other hand...:mad: The last time I visited my grandparents my Grandpa asked me if I was still on my "diet". No, I'm not on a diet. Other family members will constantly question my food choices when I'm around them, and while I can understand that some of it could stem from concern (I cannot eat gluten or most dairy products), it's frustrating to have to explain my choices every. single. time.

Trying to educate them on what I'm eating without coming off as "superior" (which I have been accused of being in the past...huh!?) is a bit of a fine balancing act, that's for sure.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I find that if you start to give them a very detailed description of your diet they lose interest very fast and never ask again...bore them to death with protein counts and whole versus processed carbohydrates and list vitamins that you fret about getting enough of or whatever...people never really know how much they really don't WANT to know sometimes...just be prepared for that rare person who really is looking to understand your system becasue once you start feeding them information they will keep asking, but it's good to share with the truly interested and get rid of the critically opinionated...

love it :)