Has anyone been primal or paleo for 5+ years?

Options
I'm just curious and would love to hear back from anyone who has successfully transitioned to a permanent paleo or primal lifestyle.

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious and would love to hear back from anyone who has successfully transitioned to a permanent paleo or primal lifestyle.

Maybe you could be interested on the 30 years experience of S. Boyd Eaton:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ORzcIybag
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    could you ever eat a piece of bread for those 5 years?
    no pizza?
    before doing this, ask your doctor for daily intakes limits of saturated fat if your cholesterol levels are high

I'm not doing it, but I did go Primal for a period of time and found it was not for me. For the very reasons you mentioned. I did it for a while but found it difficult to maintain because of cutting out so many foods. Having the "paleo pancakes" or "primal muffins" just made me want the real thing even more. I was not able to sustain it more than about 6 months before I slipped.

I really am simply curious if anyone on here has stuck with it for years.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    could you ever eat a piece of bread for those 5 years?
    no pizza?
    before doing this, ask your doctor for daily intakes limits of saturated fat if your cholesterol levels are high

One piece of bread cancels it all out. Yep. All goals gone with a piece of bread.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Was it around 5+ years ago? My impression is that it is a fairly recent thing.

Or did the Atkins people become Paleo people?
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Was it around 5+ years ago? My impression is that it is a fairly recent thing.

Or did the Atkins people become Paleo people?

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20072984,00.html
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I gave it a good go for about 5 yrs. Was following the primal blueprint which advocates under 100g carbs for weight loss. My cholesterol went up from all the meat and saturated fat. I struggled to lose weight. Felt guilty when I put sugar in my tea or slipped and ate some bread. Had no energy and struggled to motivate myself to exercise. This year, I decided to F it and just eat whatever I wanted without feeling guilty.

On came the bread, potatoes, grains, beans, fruits, sugar, corn, rice, pasta, biscuits and whatever other forbidden carbs. The most shocking result was that my body really thrived on the influx of carbs. I had loads of energy and exercise motivation and consistency was no longer a problem. I now feel bad that I called myself a lazy bum all those years. Little did I know that my diet was the problem.

It's been nearly 10 months, I've lost almost 30 lbs. Now 123 lbs. My cholesterol tests are all NORMAL for the first time in 5 yrs because I cut back on meat and fat and upped starches and plant foods. My fasting blood glucose is 70 despite going high carb (300g+) and I'm in the healthiest shape now in my early 40s.

What I had never done until this year, was go to the Marks Daily Apple, primal forum. If I had, the light bulb would have gone off much earlier. I found lots of journals from people who'd been following primal/paleo for years, based on the dates of their journals and were still struggling to keep up with the restrictions and low-carb slant. Women especially seem to struggle with it. Of late, a few are abandoning it and adding back tubers, fruits, beans and even grains and doing well.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I gave it a good go for about 5 yrs. Was following the primal blueprint which advocates under 100g carbs for weight loss. My cholesterol went up from all the meat and saturated fat. I struggled to lose weight. Felt guilty when I put sugar in my tea or slipped and ate some bread. Had no energy and struggled to motivate myself to exercise. This year, I decided to F it and just eat whatever I wanted without feeling guilty.

On came the bread, potatoes, grains, beans, fruits, sugar, corn, rice, pasta, biscuits and whatever other forbidden carbs. The most shocking result was that my body really thrived on the influx of carbs. I had loads of energy and exercise motivation and consistency was no longer a problem. I now feel bad that I called myself a lazy bum all those years. Little did I know that my diet was the problem.

It's been nearly 10 months, I've lost almost 30 lbs. Now 123 lbs. My cholesterol tests are all NORMAL for the first time in 5 yrs because I cut back on meat and fat and upped starches and plant foods. My fasting blood glucose is 70 despite going high carb (300g+) and I'm in the healthiest shape now in my early 40s.

What I had never done until this year, was go to the Marks Daily Apple, primal forum. If I had, the light bulb would have gone off much earlier. I found lots of journals from people who'd been following primal/paleo for years, based on the dates of their journals and were still struggling to keep up with the restrictions and low-carb slant. Women especially seem to struggle with it. Of late, a few are abandoning it and adding back tubers, fruits, beans and even grains and doing well.

That's so interesting! Thanks for sharing your story. Did you feel sluggish for most of the time that you were on the Primal Blueprint plan? The Primal Blueprint was what I followed as well. I had a lot of energy but I didn't see much weight loss at all. I didn't stick with it nearly as long though. It's so interesting to hear how different programs work for different people...
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    P.S. I'm going to check out the MDA forums. It's been a while. It is SO difficult to give up those carbs and stay away from them.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

That's so interesting! Thanks for sharing your story. Did you feel sluggish for most of the time that you were on the Primal Blueprint plan? The Primal Blueprint was what I followed as well. I had a lot of energy but I didn't see much weight loss at all. I didn't stick with it nearly as long though. It's so interesting to hear how different programs work for different people...
    P.S. I'm going to check out the MDA forums. It's been a while. It is SO difficult to give up those carbs and stay away from them.

I had no energy due to being on low carb but I didn't realize that until I changed to high carbs. Now that I have more energy, I'm more active which boosts my calorie deficit for weight loss. On top of that, I'm able to eat foods that I love. The main problem with MDA is demonizing carbs and putting more emphasis on them as opposed to calories. So people keep spinning their wheels, wondering why they're not losing weight despite eating 50g carbs. They just don't realize, or want to accept that it's the calories that matter regardless of what macros one is on. CICO is frowned on over there. I'm glad I finally 'saw the light'.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

Definitely from those forums seems that women struggle more than men with low-carbing. But if you take a look on here, you'll notice also that the majority of people asking for help are women (also on a high-carb diet).
    I really don't know whether in general women are more "resistant" to weight loss or they are just more prone to asking for help on a public forum.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I'm really surprised that more people haven't responded! I wonder if there are fewer paleo folks on here? Or if there are fewer who have stuck with it for long term..?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Definitely from those forums seems that women struggle more than men with low-carbing. But if you take a look on here, you'll notice also that the majority of people asking for help are women (also on a high-carb diet).
    I really don't know whether in general women are more "resistant" to weight loss or they are just more prone to asking for help on a public forum.

Ha, I'd say a little of both.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Ha, I'd say a little of both.

I agree!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    I'm really surprised that more people haven't responded! I wonder if there are fewer paleo folks on here? Or if there are fewer who have stuck with it for long term..?

You should visit the paleo/primal group
  • indiraindii
    indiraindii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that eating paleo means wating everything clean...natural...the question is: is red meat ment to be not paleo if it is cooked? I can say I eat raw of a few ears...but: after my pregnancy I had to loose more...like 30 smth kg...60 lbs aprox...so I made my paleo daily...and ate corectly and lost that amount of fat...after 5 months!! After that, because I applied the cal numbering like no more then 1000 cal my body stopped listening...so I gain a few back like 4 more exacly...I ate nonpaleo+raw... And my body was not energized again..I had to find my pb..for me was lack of sleep and motivation...so I steel sleep as much as I can almost7 hours...and motivation...oh well..I still do jot have...I lost many days without moving...like sports...I am back now...and I think I can do it better, because: I will allow myself a treat...a cheat in the diet and do my fitness the Way I feel...I feel good now...only for me to loose fat I have to apply the same method: paleo+ h.i.i.t.+counting calories...so...the truth is that we live now..not in the caverns and it's hard to reshape our thinking...I try to do my best at the end of the day so that tomorrow I can tap my shoulder :) good luck to you all!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Probably the latter, especially when the topic is weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Most people here haven't been doing anything for 5+ years, although there are exceptions.
  • kikip38
    kikip38 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Most people here haven't been doing anything for 5+ years, although there are exceptions.

Couldn't have said it better....
  • jesteach1
    jesteach1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing paleo for a year and a half now. I actually do it because I have an autoimmune disease and paleontology is an anti inflammatory diet. It really has helped me feel better and have more energy. I lost 15 lbs. just by eating paleo and organic and I do eat plenty of carbs in my fruits, nuts, and vegetables. I would love to be friends with other paleo people on here.