MACROS OR COUNTING CALORIES???

Options
2»

Replies

• futuremilf2015
    futuremilf2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well I count both my calories AND macros. I haven't lost as much weight as others but that is mainly because of a slow metabolism due to yo yo dieting.
    ymarq84 wrote: »
    Question to all MFP friends do you guys track your food based on calories or macros? Also have any of you purchased the upgraded version or thinking of upgrading?

-How do you figure out how many grams of each to eat? Any help is helpful, thank you!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for this information, I was following the 1200 calories on MFP and I have hit a plateau and I am always hungry. I work out Mon-Fri 30-40 Min cardio (either Interval running or Stairmaster) I do strength training as well 4 times a week with Wed being my cardio only day. I need to lose at least 30 more lbs and I am having a hard time tweaking my food intake (calories vs. macros). I have gone online and I get different numbers for my macros which confuses me even more.

185lbs 5'3 online BMR is 1614.85 I have an office job so am in front of a computer all day, I walk on my breaks. I did pay the premium for MFP this month but am confused as to what macros values to enter since I get different numbers online. Can anyone help me? Thank you! :smiley:

Macros are personal preference, so it's more about experimenting to see what works best for you.

I personally find that protein at every meal is more filling for me, and also I have been convinced that eating at least .8 g of protein per lb at goal weight (as a rough proxy for someone who does not know LBM) is a good idea if you are exercising and want to preserve muscle mass while losing, so I aim for at least 96 grams of protein (5'3, goal weight around 120, I usually round the 96 g up to 100). That's about 400 calories from protein.

If I were you I'd probably decide on a protein number and just aim to hit that and see how my calories fell when trying to eat a diet that was healthy and felt enjoyable to me and then evaluate what my fat and carbs were and whether I was feeling hungry or satisfied or if it varied day to day.

From experimenting I find that 100 g protein, 50 g fat, and the rest carbs, depending on my calorie limit, how much exercise I'm doing, etc., tends to work well for me, although I don't worry if I have a weird day here or there.

Are you eating back your exercise? At 1200 you should be.
  • ymarq84
    ymarq84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Thank you all for this information, I was following the 1200 calories on MFP and I have hit a plateau and I am always hungry. I work out Mon-Fri 30-40 Min cardio (either Interval running or Stairmaster) I do strength training as well 4 times a week with Wed being my cardio only day. I need to lose at least 30 more lbs and I am having a hard time tweaking my food intake (calories vs. macros). I have gone online and I get different numbers for my macros which confuses me even more.

185lbs 5'3 online BMR is 1614.85 I have an office job so am in front of a computer all day, I walk on my breaks. I did pay the premium for MFP this month but am confused as to what macros values to enter since I get different numbers online. Can anyone help me? Thank you! :smiley:

Macros are personal preference, so it's more about experimenting to see what works best for you.

I personally find that protein at every meal is more filling for me, and also I have been convinced that eating at least .8 g of protein per lb at goal weight (as a rough proxy for someone who does not know LBM) is a good idea if you are exercising and want to preserve muscle mass while losing, so I aim for at least 96 grams of protein (5'3, goal weight around 120, I usually round the 96 g up to 100). That's about 400 calories from protein.

If I were you I'd probably decide on a protein number and just aim to hit that and see how my calories fell when trying to eat a diet that was healthy and felt enjoyable to me and then evaluate what my fat and carbs were and whether I was feeling hungry or satisfied or if it varied day to day.

From experimenting I find that 100 g protein, 50 g fat, and the rest carbs, depending on my calorie limit, how much exercise I'm doing, etc., tends to work well for me, although I don't worry if I have a weird day here or there.

No, I usually don't. I wear a Polar HR monitor so I have dont know the exact amount of calories I burn while doing cardio only. Should I be eating all calories burned while working out, including the streght training?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Technically, you could do it either way because the calories would work out.

I track calories. I don't want to eat to certain numbers of protein.

I began tracking elsewhere because I wanted micros before MFP had them. I'm not switching back because I already paid someone else and because the MFP database and entries are much more complicated. What I'm using now is much easier.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, I usually don't. I wear a Polar HR monitor so I have dont know the exact amount of calories I burn while doing cardio only. Should I be eating all calories burned while working out, including the streght training?

I would eat back some, at least. Maybe 75% to start -- I don't think MFP gives a huge calorie amount for strength training anyway.
  • ymarq84
    ymarq84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I would eat back some, at least. Maybe 75% to start -- I don't think MFP gives a huge calorie amount for strength training anyway.

From what I have seen it doesn't give you any calories back at all for streght training. I will start eating back some, is it normal to feel guilty that you are eating them back when you are suppose to be burning them for a reason?? lol
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    It gives back aprox 250 calories for strength training-