Low carb alternatives to a bread sandwich....but still as convenient?

Options

Replies

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Can you get this? Herman Brot Low Carb Bread only 5% carbs. 2g of carbs per slice. Tastes delicious!

Low Carbohydrate
    The unique low carb characteristics and combination of wholegrains and legumes perfectly position our bread to support the management of weight loss and blood glucose control.
    Research also tells us that consuming a lower carbohydrate intake, induces a greater weight loss, assists in improving blood glucose control * (when carbohydrate intake provides 30% of energy), in minimising the loss of basal metabolic rate associated with weight loss and supports a reduction in major cardiovascular risk factors.
    The consumption of wholegrains have been identified to be protective against the development of Type II Diabetes, improves the effectiveness of insulin and assists in weight loss and limiting weight regain.
    In addition to the above mentioned health benefits, our product is a tasty, nutritious bread that can be enjoyed each day as part of a healthy balanced diet.
    *(When carbohydrate intake provides 30% of energy)

PLEASE COMPARE CARBS PROTEIN GI
    Herman Brot Low Carb *** 5% 26% 24***
    Wholemeal Bread* 40% 9% 65**
    White Bread* 45% 10% 71**
    Burgen Soy & Lin 31.5% 14.4% 52
    Lower Carb Seed 27.7% 13.8% N/A
    Lower Carb Soy & Sesame 29.3% 15.8% N/A
    Pasta 25% 4% 53****
    * Food standards Australia New Zealand; NUTTAB 2010 Online searchable data. ** Glycemic Index; University of Sydney: Online searchable data; updated August 2013.

I just had a look on there web site......only state not to have a stockist is Tasmania.....that's where I am lol
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wrapping in something like collard greens is much more sturdy than lettuce
    Also, you can use a cucumber to make a portable "sub
    I'd just wrap them in tin foil and he can eat them burrito style. If he can drink a thermos, that opens up the possibility of any pureed vegetable soup (tomato, butternut squash, cream of anything).

Winner winner

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    I like Tumaro's Let's Skip the Sandwich Wraps - only 60 calories and low carb/high in fiber.

Sound great but not available in Australia :neutral:

Sorry, I didn't know you were in Australia. My youngest daughter spent last year there and LOVED it but she did miss some American food and now she misses some of her Australian favorites!
  • bametels
    Options

Also, you can use a cucumber to make a portable "sub"
    Cucumber-Sub-1024x682.jpg

I'd just wrap them in tin foil and he can eat them burrito style. If he can drink a thermos, that opens up the possibility of any pureed vegetable soup (tomato, butternut squash, cream of anything).[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this idea, it looks delicious. I bet it would be great with tuna, egg, or chicken salad too!
  • SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mountain bread is a good alternative to wraps. It's only downside is that it is quite thin and brittle and can be hard to roll. Easy to find in Aussie - I used to buy it at IGA
  • sarahhamilton101
    sarahhamilton101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make oopsie rolls and use them with me sandwiches.
  • summerkissed
    edited October 2015
    Options

Also, you can use a cucumber to make a portable "sub"
    Cucumber-Sub-1024x682.jpg

I'd just wrap them in tin foil and he can eat them burrito style. If he can drink a thermos, that opens up the possibility of any pureed vegetable soup (tomato, butternut squash, cream of anything).

Love this!! Won't work for my man as he doesn't like cucumber.....but bugger him I LOVE THE IDEA and so will my son! He loves cucumber and tuna!
  • bametels
    Options
    I make oopsie rolls and use them with me sandwiches.

What are oopsie rolls?
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried vietnamese cold rolls? you could fill them with chicken, shrimp, etc.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    have you ever tried vietnamese cold rolls? you could fill them with chicken, shrimp, etc.

No....what are they?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I've never known those to be low carb.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like Tumaro's Let's Skip the Sandwich Wraps - only 60 calories and low carb/high in fiber.

I love these. I am not low carbing, I simply like them.

Summerkissed, there has to be something similar, in Australia. I would think, anyway.
  • starssaayhello
    starssaayhello Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Kabobs!
  • msroxanneg
    msroxanneg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken quesadillas on low carb tortillas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

I love these. I am not low carbing, I simply like them.

Summerkissed, there has to be something similar, in Australia. I would think, anyway.
    I've never heard of these (I live where low carb tortillas are easy to find). Which flavor or variety do you like best?
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I live on these bad boys. :wink: 50 calories and 3g net carbs. They taste pretty good. Our local Walmarts have them by the deli.

Joseph's Mini Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Low total carbs or net carbs? Because if you're looking for something low in net carbs, I recently tried out ThinSlim's Love The Taste Plain Bread and was blown away by the taste and texture of it! A little more dense and chewier than regular bread, but it tasted the same and I kind of liked this aspect of it since it made me slow down and enjoy what I was eating more, plus it was incredibly filling! The only downside is that the stuff can be expensive :/
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    two sliced (baked) pieces of a sweet potato..or like I do all the makings of the sandwich on a toothpick in small pieces w no bread