Any ladies taking multivitamin?

Options

Replies

• afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I have a basic, cheap multivitamin that I take on days that are missing a good variety of produce, iron, calcium, etc. It doesn't do anything except give me nausea if I take it on an empty stomach.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I have a basic, cheap multivitamin that I take on days that are missing a good variety of produce, iron, calcium, etc. It doesn't do anything except give me nausea if I take it on an empty stomach.

Well, I tried some of the more expensive ones and they made me seriously nauseated, too. Empty stomach or not. Ugh. I have stopped taking a multi because I'm not fond of barfing (or holding on while the urge hopefully passes.)

• sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and an omega 3 every other day when I fast, just to be on the safe side.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I take one just to fill in the gaps as I rarely hit my RDAs otherwise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I take a multi to help fill any nutritional gaps in my diet. Currently just taking vitafusion Women's gummies.

Ditto.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Half a women's one-a-day plus a weekly prescription dose of D.

Do you eat a lot of fortified foods? Like commercial bread and milk and breakfast cereals?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin at my Dr.'s recommendation because I had low iron and calcium levels. I can't say that it makes me feel any different, but it's fixed the iron and calcium deficits.

This^

I struggle with iron too. But my Centrum Silver - for Women, doesn't make me feel any different.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Currently, I am on centrum chewables, but I realised that they're not that great, especially since I need to supplement with magnesium and potassium.. I just need to find a better multi vitamin and mineral. I do like the sound of the gummy ones..the chewables get old.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    adhebert8 wrote: »
    Last time I lost weight more than half of my hair fell out so I'm talking a gummy multivitamin this time in hopes my hair won't fall out again. My doctor recommended a pre-natal even when you're not pregnant but they made my breast sore and upset stomach. Regular multivitamins even taken with food hurt my stomach so I stick he the gummy ones.
    Since I have been taking them regularly I feel less tired but it could also be the change of diet ans exercise.

@adhebert8 , hair loss is usually linked to severely under-eating not a lack of vitamins. To put it another way, when people (or animals, for that matter) are losing a lot of weight, especially if it's quickly, whether by eating less or exercising more the body believes that starvation is not far behind. As a protective mechanism, "energy" (i.e. calories) that is normally available to less essential tasks such as hair growth is re-directed to more essential needs. Rather than a multivitamin don't cut your calories so drastically if you want to keep your hair.

I've had the same problems with nausea and multivitamins so I take gummies now, too.

I'm taking a multivitamin and a vitamin D supplement on the advice of my GP. My D tested on the low side of normal at my last visit and he suggested the multivitamin because my BMR is around 1200 so I'm eating close to that some days to keep a deficit.

I tried the hair nail stuff a few years ago. While it did make my hair grow faster (not necessarily a good thing since it meant more frequent trips to the stylist) it also gave me terrible acne and I was in my mid-40s.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I take a Prenatal Vitamin (gummies). I like the effects on my hair and nails and it covers all the nutritional bases. I don't see a big difference other than my hair/nails, but it is a good peace of mind kind of thing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take a bunch because I NEED to take a bunch. If I didn't have to, I would be delighted to give them up.

My vitamin deficiencies were detected at the same time my thyroid issues and other things were, so I started the meds, vitamins and new diet at the same time and cannot say how of much of my new found energy was Synthroid and how much was the better diet or vitamin deficiencies being corrected, but after a while, it was like I was a whole, new person. A much more energetic one, too. :)
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I take adult gummies and look forward to them.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor tells you or your levels are low after a blood test, there's really no reason to. I've never taken vitamins in my life, eat a pretty limited diet, and have never come in low on any blood test. I personally feel most vitamins are a scam.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take a multi because I know I don't eat perfectly every day, or get in every vitamin every day. I don't really notice a difference. You don't necessarily have to spend more money for a good one. I would just recommend finding a brand that has the USP (United States Pharmacopeia) Stamp on it. This means it's gone through testing and filters to make sure there aren't harmful additives in it and it's actually what it says on the label. Nature Made is the brand I buy and that's at Walmart.
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Made prenatal as well. I'm breastfeeding so my doc recommended.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I work with kids and taking a gummie multivitamin gives me piece of mind. I haven't noticed a big change in energy levels or anything but I do feel it has helped.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Ever since I read all the studies that showed that people who take vitamins have no better health outcomes or lie expectancy than people who don't, I quit taking them. I am fairly careful to eat nutrient-dense foods and I do check the micronutrient levels at the end of the day. There is even now controversy about older women at risk of osteoporosis taking calcium as it increases the risk of heart attack.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor tells you or your levels are low after a blood test, there's really no reason to. I've never taken vitamins in my life, eat a pretty limited diet, and have never come in low on any blood test. I personally feel most vitamins are a scam.

What are you being tested for? Despite having been anemic for decades, I've had to remind doctors to order iron level tests and despite never having a problem with my cholesterol, they always order this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Ever since I read all the studies that showed that people who take vitamins have no better health outcomes or lie expectancy than people who don't, I quit taking them. I am fairly careful to eat nutrient-dense foods and I do check the micronutrient levels at the end of the day. There is even now controversy about older women at risk of osteoporosis taking calcium as it increases the risk of heart attack.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-attack/expert-answers/calcium-supplements/faq-20058352

Q. I've read that calcium supplements may increase the risk of heart attack. Is this true?

A. Some doctors think it's possible that taking calcium supplements may increase your risk of a heart attack. Other doctors believe that calcium supplements have little or no effect on your heart attack risk.

There's concern about calcium supplements and heart attack risk because many people take calcium supplements to treat or prevent bone diseases, such as osteoporosis. A recent study from the National Institutes of Health suggests there is an increased risk of heart attack, stroke or other cardiovascular diseases from taking calcium supplements for men only. Other studies suggest there is an increased risk for both men and women.

It's thought that the calcium in supplements could make its way into fatty plaques in your arteries — a condition called atherosclerosis — causing those plaques to harden and increase your risk of heart disease.

More research is needed before doctors know the effect calcium supplements may have on your heart attack risk. The calcium supplements that some doctors are concerned about are those that contain only calcium — not supplements that combine calcium and vitamin D or multivitamin supplements. Calcium from food sources, such as dairy and green leafy vegetables, is not a concern.

Current recommendations regarding calcium supplements for people who have, or have risk factors for, osteoporosis haven't changed. As with any health issue, it's important to talk to your doctor to determine what's best in your case.
  • _stumpyshark_
    _stumpyshark_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multivitamin about 2 months ago because of vitamin deficiencies my vitamin D, iron, and calcium was all extremely low. I also drink a zeal fitness drink at breakfast time. I definitely feel the difference.