Any ladies taking multivitamin?

Options
hello Ladies,

Wondering if anyone is taking a multivitamin, and if so, did you see a benefit? Are you more energized? Maybe lost a little more weight? Feeling overall better?

I bought one with green tea extract ' weight management ', among other 14 essential vitamins.

I know some of us are eating below our BMRs, so wondering if maybe taking a multivitamin had made you feel less tired/lazy? I know I have low iron, so a vitamin should help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bobo

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin at my Dr.'s recommendation because I had low iron and calcium levels. I can't say that it makes me feel any different, but it's fixed the iron and calcium deficits.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I take a multi to help fill any nutritional gaps in my diet. Currently just taking vitafusion Women's gummies.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm not pregnant nor do I plan on becoming pregnant, but I do take daily OTCNature Made prenatal + DHA. It's cheap and came highly recommended from my hair dresser. My hair is healthier, grows faster and my nails are stronger since I've been taking it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    WW recommends a multivitamin while dieting. It's a "just in case" sort of thing. I am a post Bariatric patient with known malabsorption issues so I take a pregnancy multivitamin (also contains Folic Acid). I remind young women of child bearing age to take a multivitamin with Folic Acid.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, as well as some calcium because I'm over 50 and also trying to net around 1200. I live in the Northeast, and one thing I can say -- I'm the only one in my family whose Vitamin D levels have tested normal and who is not on prescription Vitamin D because between diet, the multi, and the calcium with D, I'm getting enough. For me, it's also a "just in case" too because at a 1200 or less net, it can be hard to get all the micronutrients.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    WW recommends a multivitamin while dieting. It's a "just in case" sort of thing. I am a post Bariatric patient with known malabsorption issues so I take a pregnancy multivitamin (also contains Folic Acid). I remind young women of child bearing age to take a multivitamin with Folic Acid.

Pretty much the only reason I take a multivitamin is to make sure I'm getting folic acid in case we decide to have another baby. I can't say it makes me feel any different, OP.

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Anyone trying to do the 1200 calorie diet should seriously consider a multivitamin. It can't hurt, they are not that expensive and it does help to make sure you are reaching some of your vitamin goals that you might not reach otherwise.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I take one to make up for the fact that I don't eat the RDA of everything I need. They don't give you more energy and vitamins don't promote weight-loss. Though, if you're anemic or lacking in Vitamin D, you can feel tired. Have your doc run blood tests to see.

You should not be eating below your BMR. You're not giving your body enough fuel to function and will decrease your lean body mass when your body turns to that for fuel. Not good! I also find it disturbing that you know you're eating below your BMR and thus not giving your body enough fuel, yet you're referring to how you feel while you're doing that as lazy.

Please take care of yourself!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I try to get my vitamins & minerals from foods but, on days i am lacking some, especially in the iron/vitamin-d area, i cut up a nature's way Alive - Women's Energy Multivitamin/multimineral tablet in half to make up for the difference..i take half or more no matter what during that time of month and i definitely notice its affect at keeping the lightheadedness away during this time..
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    @Psychgrrl MFP put me at 1560 calls for 1.5 lb loss a week, my BNR according to scoobysworkshp is around 1800...

I think most people eating at 1200 calls are eating below their BMR no? Wouldn't you have to be super small for 1200 to be your BMR?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking vitamins after I finished breastfeeding and don't feel any different. I kinda think they're a scam but I do believe in prenatals if you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    Wondering if anyone is taking a multivitamin, and if so, did you see a benefit? Are you more energized? Maybe lost a little more weight? Feeling overall better?

I take vitamins, but they do not help me lose weight or give me more energy and I don't expect them to. Ideally they will quietly fill any gaps in my vitamin intake.

However, because of a health issue, I have to take Vit B12, magnesium, and a fairly high dose of folic acid. When I slack off on those three, I notice a difference.

And for me, no iron and easy on the Vit C.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    When my anemia is untreated, I am very, very tired. Iron supplements come in many different forms and it took a lot of trial and error to find one that works for me, currently Iron Bisglycinate. Two forms I previously got from my doctor were completely useless. I get my levels tested every year.

I don't take a multi - I get the individual vitamins and minerals separately to get the quantities and forms I want.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I do. i just started, and it's like many of the others here. just in case.
    I'm trying to train for a half marathon and i want to give myself the best chance i can while meeting my weight loss goals
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I used to take a multivitamin, I don't any more. Instead I focus on eating lots of fruits an veg. My doctor was totally fine with me stopping the multivitamin. I don't notice any difference.
  • adhebert8
    adhebert8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight more than half of my hair fell out so I'm talking a gummy multivitamin this time in hopes my hair won't fall out again. My doctor recommended a pre-natal even when you're not pregnant but they made my breast sore and upset stomach. Regular multivitamins even taken with food hurt my stomach so I stick he the gummy ones.
    Since I have been taking them regularly I feel less tired but it could also be the change of diet ans exercise.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Anyone trying to do the 1200 calorie diet should seriously consider a multivitamin. It can't hurt, they are not that expensive and it does help to make sure you are reaching some of your vitamin goals that you might not reach otherwise.

Not true. You can actually overdose on vitamins and it is not that hard to do. While most vitamins you just pee out if you get too much (water soluble), others can build up in the body (fat soluble), sometimes to toxic levels.

OP-see your doctor and have blood work done. It can tell you what vitamins you are actually deficient in.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I take a high quality multi-vitamin from a health food store to fill in the gaps. Be careful with cheapo vitamins you can buy at Walmart, drug stores, etc. Quality is usually below average and doesn't do your body any good. It's worth the research (and $$) to find a good quality vitamin that works for you. I do notice a difference if I forget to take it for a couple days, reduce energy levels and just don't feel as good overall.

Also, a good idea to see what you are deficient in at your doctor.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Not true. You can actually overdose on vitamins and it is not that hard to do. While most vitamins you just pee out if you get too much (water soluble), others can build up in the body (fat soluble), sometimes to toxic levels.

OP-see your doctor and have blood work done. It can tell you what vitamins you are actually deficient in.

Somebody's going to overdose on vitamins when they are on a 1200 calorie diet? Hmmm....what's more likely a vitamin deficiency on a 1200 calorie diet or a vitamin overdose? Show of hands please.

Stop the scare tactics. If you're on a very low calorie diet you should probably be taking a multivitamin. Most women are short on Vitamin D and Iron anyways.

And yes while I would agree it would be great for everyone to go to the doctor and have blood work done 98% of the people are never going to do that.