Bolt vs Phelps

Options

Replies

• steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    equally impressive. They are both the greatest ever in their respective sports
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bolt! but then again I may be biased cuz i'm Jamaican :)
  • antizoni1
    antizoni1 Posts: 334
    Options
    Both were very entertaining to watch, its hard to pick just one
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate these discussions because really there's no right answer, but here's mine.

Bolt has won the 100 meter and 200 meter in two straight Olympics.

Phelps has won the Individual 200 meter IM and 100 Butterfly in three straight Olympics.

So even if you reduce Phelps down to his two most successful events he's got an Olympics on Bolt.

That doesn't make him more impressive, or a better athlete....See my post 'above' yours.

Yours is a hypothetical scenario. You have no idea what would happen in any of those instances. The Olympics is about winning medals in your chosen sport. I gave a specific reason why I would choose Phelps.

I wasn't attacking your answer. Just giving an alternate view point.

Even comparing them at all is a hypothetical scenario. If strictly looking at who is more impressive why not take into consideration total athletic ability, and how that would translate to other sports?
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    BOLT!!!!

Bolt has WAYYYYYY more competition than Phelps does. No matter where you go on this planet someone is running and racing...but to be a swimmer you have to have access to water to train in. So there aren't going to be as many competitors out there.

BOLT > Phelps

I will say that I believe the training for Swimming seems to be harder than sprinting...but it's not like I have experienced both to know...I just hear that to be the case.....
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

I second this!

Also...yum! x
  • jheeley1989
    Options
    Both brilliant in their own right and don't think you could really disagree with the fact that they are one of the best if not the best ever in their own sports. Think it will be interesting to see if Bolt can do the same again in 2016 or see whether he tries the 400m tho.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    How about neither. I saw this comparison on ESPN lastnight and just laughed. Who cares they are two different worlds. Bolt's comments about being the best blah blah blah sure showed his class. I get you are the best runner cool but that is one sport in a world of many. Phelps is a pothead who can swim. Next topic. :sad:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I say Bolt, as his victories tend to be by wider margins and more people (competition) from around the world run vs. swim.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Especially after last night, I really don't like Bolt.

He declared himself a legend. Gifted? Sure. Pompous and arrogant? You bet!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Usian Bolt because he stopped an interview and waited while the Spanish anthem was played for another athlete.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Phelps for versatility, Bolt for jaw dropping ability.

Every time I see Bolt run he looks like he's jogging the last half of the race and looking around wondering where everyone is... against the most elite athletes in the world!
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

I agree with this... Bolt is cooler tho!
  • Cathy_Daydreams
    Options
    I'm not very good with sport, so I'm sorry if I say something that wouldn't be possible, but does anyone else think we should put a pool next to a running track and race Phelps against Bolt ? It would be entertaining if nothing else :L.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    How about neither. I saw this comparison on ESPN lastnight and just laughed. Who cares they are two different worlds. Bolt's comments about being the best blah blah blah sure showed his class. I get you are the best runner cool but that is one sport in a world of many. Phelps is a pothead who can swim. Next topic. :sad:

thanks for making us all feel a little smarter today with your ignorance.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Out of those I give Bolt the edge. He reckons he's going to try out for Manchester United when he retires :laugh:

I'd widen the "consummate sportsman" shortlist to include Alistair Brownlee, however. He ran the 10km run leg of the triathlon faster than some of the finalists in the 10,000 metres after having swum a mile and cycled 40km, and only 90 seconds slower than the winner!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I say Bolt, as his victories tend to be by wider margins and more people (competition) from around the world run vs. swim.

Bolt's victories are by wider (that term is way relative) in the 2012 Olympics, but in 2004 and 2008 Michael was blowing people out of the water.

In the in the 200 Fly, Michael set the last record in 2008 at 1:51.51. He set the 8 records prior to that and it hasn't been touched since. Ditto the 400 IM, Michael set the last record in 2008 at 4:03.84, and set the 8 previous records. He was winning those races by body lengths in Beijing.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Of the two Bolt wins IMHO but as an Olympian it's hard to argue against the political impact of Jesse Owens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Owens

Can you imagine the pressure he felt at the '36 Berlin Olympics? And consider how his actions changed sport for the better?
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

Bolt's victories are by wider (that term is way relative) in the 2012 Olympics, but in 2004 and 2008 Michael was blowing people out of the water.

In the in the 200 Fly, Michael set the last record in 2008 at 1:51.51. He set the 8 records prior to that and it hasn't been touched since. Ditto the 400 IM, Michael set the last record in 2008 at 4:03.84, and set the 8 previous records. He was winning those races by body lengths in Beijing.

Bolt was setting records in 08' and pulling up at the end of the races......His world record run he pulled up WAY before the finish, still set the record, and still crushed everyone.

I'll even change my position. Greatest olympian-Phelps. Because with THAT many medals, it's hard to argue. Most impressive (which to me means most impressive athlete) I'll say Bolt.
    I can't give Bolt greatest olympian, because I'd give Carl Lewis the nod, as a sprinter, for greatest olympian before I gave it to Bolt.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

^^ This for sure. You're comparing the world's fastest man and the most decorated swimmer/athlete. The hours of dedication, practice, diligence, strength, and endurance that go into each respective sport, make both athletes impressive. The poise that Phelps showed in this Olympics with each interview and the amazing show of respect when Bolt stopped his interview when the national anthem (of the only country that gives Jamaica great competition in the sprinting events) was playing show huge sportsmanship.