Bolt vs Phelps

Options

Replies

• olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bolt is much more impressive. I watched the 200m final last night and 4 strides out of the gate I knew he won. He was just flat gone. Also, Bolt has never came in second in the Olympics (or has he?). Either way, the guy must makes it look easy... Vote for Bolt
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Michael Phelps is amazing. Three Olympics and has struck gold in Athens, Beijing, and now London. A fantastic individual as well as team player. Subtle, charming, quiet in his confidence. In trouble with the law? Sure. Role Model? ABSOLUTELY.
    After the 2008 Olympics, Phelps used his $1-million Speedo bonus to set up the Michael Phelps Foundation.[206][207][208] His foundation focuses on growing the sport of swimming and promoting healthier lifestyles.[209]
    In 2010, the Michael Phelps Foundation, the Michael Phelps Swim School and KidsHealth.Org developed and nationally piloted the "im" program for Boys & Girls Club members. The im program teaches children the importance of being active and healthy, with a focus on the sport of swimming. It also promotes the value of planning and goal-setting.[210] im is offered through the Boys & Girls Clubs of America[210] and through Special Olympics International.[211] The Foundation has since developed two other programs, Level Field Fund-Swimming and Caps-for-a-Cause.[212][213] CHARITY and GENEROSITY.

Usain Bolt is super fast and has struck gold in 2 Olympics. Cocky, funny, and very confident. Arrogant? Maybe. But he has the skills to back it up.
    On the last day of the Berlin Championships, the governing Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit, presented Bolt with a 12-foot high section of the Berlin Wall in a small ceremony, saying Bolt had shown that "one can tear down walls that had been considered as insurmountable." The nearly three-ton segment was delivered to Bolt's training camp in Jamaica. RESPECT THE SPEED.

Edge- Michael Phelps
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I’m going with Bolt. Anyone that can run that fast and make me look like I’m only walking when I’m actually jogging will get my vote any day! :drinker:
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Track and Field and Swimming are exactly the same when it comes to number of medals. Bolt could try for 8 events in one Olympics, but all he does is 3. He doesn't do long jump like Carl Lewis did in 1984 when he won four gold.

So out of the two, Phelps is by far the better Olympian.

You also have to have an argument for decathlete as well because that includes all events for track and field. That would be like Phelps doing dives also.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I’m going with Bolt. Anyone that can run that fast and make me look like I’m only walking when I’m actually jogging will get my vote any day! :drinker:

Walking when your jogging?!?

More like you are running backwards.

To know the kind of speed a guy like this has would take actually seeing it in person.
    I played football with a guy that ran a low 4.3 40, and Bolt would smash that guy. And he made everyone else around him seem like we were running in cold molasses.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I love watching ANY athlete that can dominate the best in the world. I think I would have to go with Phelps head to head though. Maybe if Bolt did the hurdles or long jump or anything else .......AND won gold in all of them..........I would consider it a harder choice.

They are both awesome and I love watching them both compete any chance I can get.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Michael Jordan vs. Jerry Rice?

Wayne Gretzky vs. Hank Aaron?

yeah, this is dumb
  • shanighias
    shanighias Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    whos the most impressive? of course Phelps has more medals but thats because his sport allows him to compete for more.

I'm going with Bolt on this one.

Phelps...........he is been at top since long time!
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'd actually be interested to see how they would do in a long distance foot race against each other. Not a sprint, but a very long run. 10,000 or something. While I find running and swimming both insanely difficult now as an overweight adult, as a kid I always found swimming to be MUCH more taxing than running was. I have a feeling that Phelps would win if/not compete very well with Bolt in a distance run.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    Let's just say Bolt vs Phelps in a Triathlon. Swimming, Running, and Biking.

1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) SWIM
    40 kilometres (25 mi) BIKE
    10 kilometres (6.2 mi) RUN

Who would win?

My money is on Phelps. He would not win by much, but enough to prove he is the best overall athlete.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    also i think you have to consider how specialized a sport is and access. everyone in the world can run and compete in running events with more ease than swimming events. so phelps competition is smaller than bolt's.

to take it to the extreme....being the best at dressage isnt as impressive as being the best runner because so few people participate in it.

Why do people always use dressage as an example of less impressive sports. I would love to see anyone who says dressage isn't as competitive or isn't as challenging as other sports have a go at it. Actually I'd love to see them simply ride a horse. Not as easy as it looks, and there are loads of people who participate in it.

I can't really pick Bolt or Phelps, they're too different for me. Also I'm indecisive! They're both amazing.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Do you prefer apples or oranges?

Personally I quite like bananas!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The answer is simple: Jordan.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Track and Field and Swimming are exactly the same when it comes to number of medals. Bolt could try for 8 events in one Olympics, but all he does is 3. He doesn't do long jump like Carl Lewis did in 1984 when he won four gold.

So out of the two, Phelps is by far the better Olympian.

You also have to have an argument for decathlete as well because that includes all events for track and field. That would be like Phelps doing dives also.

Carl Lewis was a long jump athlete initially, he started competing in long jump at 13. Bolt started as a sprinter. I think Bolt could be competitive in long jump but I don't think he can perform as good as Carl Lewis.

It's only normal if he doesn't want to compete in an event where he can't guarantee gold after setting records in another one. Plus the greater risk of injury in less charted waters.

On the topic, I don't think Phelps and Bolt are comparable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to comment in here until I saw someone thinks Bolt doesn't use every muscle in his body to achieve what he has.

Have you ever run anywhere? Ever?

Sure, it's different than swimming, but it isn't easier. And, yes, I do both.

I also agree you can't compare them. They compete in two entirely different sports with entirely different physical requirements.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Misty May and Kerri Walsh HAVE to be in this discussion in my opinion. Straight domination.
  • FireBrand80
    Options

wrong
  • FireBrand80
    Options
    Misty May and Kerri Walsh HAVE to be in this discussion in my opinion. Straight domination.

I think they should be included in most discussions, about anything. With pictures.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

wrong

How can an opinion be wrong?

There is no right or wrong answer, just opinion.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

wrong

How can an opinion be wrong?

There is no right or wrong answer, just opinion.

That sarcasm flew right over you.:smile: