Bolt vs Phelps

Options

Replies

• Broncsoup
    Broncsoup Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think we can compare the physical results.
    - They both of great cardio. I'm sure both have ridiculously low resting heart rates and blood pressure. I'm sure they both have terrific levels of oxygen in their blood. But Phelps wins because he has to do it in short and long races and in the water. And if you've ever tried to take up swimming you know how difficult it is.
    - Muscular build - Both look great and I wish I could look like either one, but Phelps is by far more muscular. If you put the two in a weight room I'd put big money on Phelps.
    - Speed - This one is relative because it would depend on where they raced. Obviously, Phelps wins in the water and Bolt on land.
    - Flexibility - I haven't seen Bolt stretch much so I'm just supposing he's about as flexible as most runners, but I've seen Phelps twist his shoulders awkwardly and then practically wrap his arms around his body. Both have to be flexible at the start, but I'd give the edge to Phelps.
    - Versatility - As you said, this is difficult because Track & Field doesn't offer as many events as swimming. Yet, I don't think you can ignore it unless you want to put the odds in favor of Bolt. Bolt has skills in running the 100m and 200m. I'm trying to remember if he runs relays. Anyway, Phelps has the freestyle, Butterfly (extra points of difficulty), backstroke and breast stroke and he does them all in the 100 IM and the 400 IM.

Bolt's speed is impressive, but in overall athleticism I don't see how you can say Phelps isn't the winner. Btw, the Iron Man triathlon competition was started because of a debate like this between a swimmer, a cyclist and a runner. Maybe we should be looking in a different sport for the best athlete. Personally, I think the best athlete in the world right now is Rich Froning, the 2012 Crossfit Champion.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Celebrate both Athletes. We are lucky to be around during the peak of 2 of the greatest athletes that have ever existed.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I think we can compare the physical results.
    - They both of great cardio. I'm sure both have ridiculously low resting heart rates and blood pressure. I'm sure they both have terrific levels of oxygen in their blood. But Phelps wins because he has to do it in short and long races and in the water. And if you've ever tried to take up swimming you know how difficult it is.
    - Muscular build - Both look great and I wish I could look like either one, but Phelps is by far more muscular. If you put the two in a weight room I'd put big money on Phelps.
    - Speed - This one is relative because it would depend on where they raced. Obviously, Phelps wins in the water and Bolt on land.
    - Flexibility - I haven't seen Bolt stretch much so I'm just supposing he's about as flexible as most runners, but I've seen Phelps twist his shoulders awkwardly and then practically wrap his arms around his body. Both have to be flexible at the start, but I'd give the edge to Phelps.
    - Versatility - As you said, this is difficult because Track & Field doesn't offer as many events as swimming. Yet, I don't think you can ignore it unless you want to put the odds in favor of Bolt. Bolt has skills in running the 100m and 200m. I'm trying to remember if he runs relays. Anyway, Phelps has the freestyle, Butterfly (extra points of difficulty), backstroke and breast stroke and he does them all in the 100 IM and the 400 IM.

Bolt's speed is impressive, but in overall athleticism I don't see how you can say Phelps isn't the winner. Btw, the Iron Man triathlon competition was started because of a debate like this between a swimmer, a cyclist and a runner. Maybe we should be looking in a different sport for the best athlete. Personally, I think the best athlete in the world right now is Rich Froning, the 2012 Crossfit Champion.

so what about the athletes who compete in heptathalons and decathlons? They are far from a jack of all trades..they are pretty much master of all...across multi discipline track AND field. Rich Froning would probably struggle in such a broader range of athletic tests against the athletes who compete in these events.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the best athlete in the world right now is Rich Froning, the 2012 Crossfit Champion.

:laugh:
    please don't tell me you're serious....
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Bolt :heart:
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Phelps. You think swimming in multiple events is easy? Forget medals.... Not saying running is easy but I've been a swimmer my whole life and I just love Phelps
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    They are both equally impressive in my opinion. How you can compare a runner to a swimmer baffles me.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't think you can compare the two.
    That being said, they are my two favourite athletes (aka the only two athletes I even know).
    I'd go with Phelps just cuz I love swimming :p
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    so what about the athletes who compete in heptathalons and decathlons? They are far from a jack of all trades..they are pretty much master of all...across multi discipline track AND field.

Watching the men's decathlon highlights yesterday was really cool. It's amazing how good these guys are at every single event. Hat off the them for sure.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Phelps in my book. To be able to do the butterfuly the way he does is insane. Phelps uses his whole body. Bolt- it is just running. Besides I think he (Bolt) is such an ego maniac- I can't deal with that.

Bolt is an egomaniac? I have heard nothing but good things about him, including when he stopped a TV interview because the US Anthem was playing for a gold being awarded in another event.

^^ Very true. Even being a fellow Marylander like Phelps, I've heard more stories from people who actually KNOW the man and say that he's a jerk. I've never heard "egomaniac" to describe Bolt, ever.

Personally, I don't think you can compare a runner and a swimmer... but that's just me. They're both insanely talented.
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Phelps for longevity, Bolt for just being a class apart from all the competition. I'd still vote for whoever the best decathlete ever was for "greatest Olympian".
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    They're both impressive....and making these Olympics a very enjoyable
    This. I love the way Phelps has arms longer than the norm and ankle flexibility that makes his size 14 feet work more like flippers. Bolt is terrific too ..awesome to watch fly......and Jamaican to boot...
  • conkle23
    conkle23 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think they are both great athletes! and have worked harder then a lot of us have! Takes years and years to what they have come to!

So Good luck to both of them :D
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I think neither of them are as impressive as decathletes. Sure, Phelps is the best swimmer in the world. And sure, Bolt is the fastest man in the world. They can do one thing each. Swim or run. Those decathletes can do every track and field event, and do them WELL.

Also, I think Bolt would be much more likeable if he showed a little humility every once in a while. He said yesterday that he is "the greatest athlete of all time." Um, sorry bro, I disagree. Best sprinter of all time? Sure. Best overall athlete of all time? I don't think so. Get over yourself. Phelps could prob use a little humility as well, but he's not nearly as obnoxious as Bolt. And Phelps is definitely the best Olympian of all time, I mean, you don't get 18 gold medals because you're "pretty good."
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Celebrate both Athletes. We are lucky to be around during the peak of 2 of the greatest athletes that have ever existed.

So true. I really do love to watch them both do what they do best.

As well as Misty May and Kerri Walsh, all the chinese divers (seriously are they diving into molasses), Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas and countless others.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    whos the most impressive? of course Phelps has more medals but thats because his sport allows him to compete for more.

I'm going with Bolt on this one.

I think Bolt, cause he has the direct hook-up for the rasta...straight from the source, rather than Phelps, who has to come to USuC to get lit up.....
  • dane11235813
    Options

So true. I really do love to watch them both do what they do best.

As well as Misty May and Kerri Walsh, all the chinese divers (seriously are they diving into molasses), Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas and countless others.

I think Walsh and May are unbelievable, but comparing a couple of gymnasts who had one good olympics with Phelps and Bolt is almost insulting.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    both are crazy impressive - Bolt has dominated the sprints in two Olympics now, but he doesn't compete in anything longer than a 200 (to my knowledge). Phelps wasn't 100% spot on this Olympics, but he has been at the top of his sport in 100 fly, 200 fly, 200 IM, 400 IM, and 200 free for years. He probably wouldn't medal in the 50 free or the mile either, but he could certainly hold his own with all of his training. I don't know enough about Bolt to know how he would do in anything longer than a 200.

I should add that I swam in college and am a bit biased, because I know how insane it is to swim the 200 fly and 400 IM - they're both torture, and he makes it look easy. So, my (biased) vote goes to Phelps, but by a slight margin. If Bolt repeats in Rio, then we'll talk :)
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think it would be be more impressive if Bolt were to do the 400 meter aswell. alot of the sprinters back in the day did the 400 aswell. if he did that id put him up there. the fact that phelps does more makes him better
  • dane11235813
    Options
    I think it would be be more impressive if Bolt were to do the 400 meter aswell. alot of the sprinters back in the day did the 400 aswell. if he did that id put him up there. the fact that phelps does more makes him better

you just made that up.