Protein powder reviews! Read and add

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
Myofusion Milk Chocolate
Delicious. Not quite chocolate milkshake good, but definitely good enough to fulfill your chocolate milk fantasy. Would probably be better with milk, but it's nice with water and coffee. (Coffee cuts the sweetness since I don't like that much)
Best with (IMO): 1 cup cold coffee, 1 cup water, ice
Protein Type: Myofusion Elite Protein Blend (Whey protein concentrate, Milk protein isolate, Whey protein isolate, Micellar casein
Price:~$48 + shipping for 4lbs
Purchased: bodybuilding.com
Serving Size: 1 scoop (37g), Calories: 150, Fat: 3g, Carbs: 5g, Protein: 25g

Dymatize ISO-100 Gourmet berry
Yum and double yum. Its a bit on the sweet side for me, but that is normal. Lovely strawberry milk flavor (even when made with water!) and really low on cals. No carbs, no fat, just delicious protein!
Best with (IMO): 1 cup water, ice
Protein Type: Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolates
Price:~$68 + shipping for 5lbs
Purchased: bodybuilding.com
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (28g), Calories: 106, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 25g

Syntrax Nectar Roadside Lemonade
Nice to have something that isn't creamy for once, particularly on a hot day.Tastes a lot like Minute Maid lemonade that you get from a fountain, NOT like homemade or "real roadside" lemonade. I may try to add more water and some mio or something. Not awful but not great taste wise, really nice nutrition though.
Best with (IMO): 12oz water, ice (maybe some mio, real lemon, or other flavor)
Protein Type: PROMINA ultrafiltered and undenatured whey protein isolate
Price:~$33 + shipping for 2lbs
Purchased: vitacost.com
Serving Size: 1 scoop, Calories: 100, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 23g

Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie
Nice chocolate cookie flavor with a lovely hint of green mint. Creamy and delicious without being too sweet. Nutrition not quite as good as others, but a nice break from regular chocolate.
Best with (IMO): 1 cup water, ice
Protein Type: Protein Blend, Whey Protein Concentrate (Promina Brand), Milk Protein Concentrate (unfiltered, includes micella casein), Egg Albumen (undenatured)
Price:~$25 + shipping for 2lbs
Purchased: vitacost.com
Serving Size: 1 scoop, Calories: 140, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 6g, Protein: 23g

Body Fortress Chocolate
Not bad, particularly on a budget. This is higher calorie per scoop then some others and not as creamy.
Protein Type: Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate
Price:~$16 for 2lbs
Purchased: Walmart
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (42g), Calories: 170, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 7g, Protein: 30g

Body Fortress Chocolate Peanut Butter
Tastes just like a nutty bar, wafer flavor included! Not super creamy but not at all bad.
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (34g), Calories: 130, Fat: 2g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 26g

Body Fortress Cookies n Cream
Blah. Bland and over sweet. Not very cookie flavored. Definite pass here.
Serving Size: 1 scoop, Calories: 130, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 3g, Protein: 25g

Body Fortress Vanilla
Cardboard with a nasty chemical aftertaste. Even in a greek yogurt smoothie with fresh berries, it was barely drinkable. Nasty aftertaste cannot be covered up. Pass
Best with (IMO): ???
Serving Size: 41 g (1 scoop), Calories: 170, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 7g, Protein: 30g

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Nice flavor reviews but I think it's more important to look at the type of protein and what's in it when deciding, instead of how it tastes.
    Most of them listed are low quality whey concentrates stuffed with fillers. Its better to look for whey protein isolates which are cross flow microfiltered as this is a more pure protein with less fillers and more available nutrients
  • Seefy7
    Seefy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    This is by no means an advert and I couldn't care if people visit the website or not

http://www.myprotein.com/home.dept

I've been using their Impact Whey Protein for the last two years. It tastes amazing, mixes well and most importantly, you're not going to find a cheaper protein with this quality. They always have deals and discounts on aswell.

I picked up a 2.5kg Cookies and Cream, 2.5kg Strawberry Jam Rolly Polly and 2.5kg Chocolate Nut for just under 80 euro. It should last me a few months since I only use 50g after a workout.

I also buy Peanut Butter and Cashew Nut butter from here, again, they taste great too.
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    Forgot to add my reviews

Isopure 7.5lb Dutch Cocolate $105.00 Shipped (amazon)
    This protein has an awesome amino acid profile and very few fillers. It's a whey isolate which is good but not the best anymore.
    I mix it with water for less cals, BTW 2 scoops is 50g protein at 220 calories

Hydrobolic FX-vanilla 5lbs 70$ bodybuilding.com
    This is probably the most pure protein available, I28g protein in a 30g scoop, a similar protein would be Dynamatize iso-100 as thread starter listed above, with slightly more protein per serving. I'm not a fan of vanilla but that's all that was in stock, it's Ok, I use danon drops pineapple coconut flavor in it sometimes.

TrueNutrition.com is a great place with many different types of protein and unique flavor options, check it out. Tey have isolates and hydroisolates as well for cheaper.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Nice flavor reviews but I think it's more important to look at the type of protein and what's in it when deciding, instead of how it tastes.
    Most of them listed are low quality whey concentrates stuffed with fillers. Its better to look for whey protein isolates which are cross flow microfiltered as this is a more pure protein with less fillers and more available nutrients

Good point. I didn't report on that before, since that information is the easiest to find. Then again, reviews are easy to find too, so I might as well put everything in the same spot :) And I believe that it has to be good for you AND drinkable, because that IS possible. Since you know so much about it, what is your favorite protein?
  • LongIsland27itl
    Options
    I posted them right after my first post.

My post workout protein is the Hydroisolate but its expensive, my main protein is a cross flow micro filtered protein from true nutrition.com
    The CFMF proteins are great since they leave some important growth factors intact unlike hydroisolates
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Isolates. Mixes extremely well, tastes pretty good, not too sweet. It's like 2g fat, 3g carb, 24g protein, but i think each flavor my differ slightly. This was the best protein powder i've used to mix together with milk. Others i've had don't mix well with milk.

I've used Muscle Milk in the past, when it was first introduced by CytoSports. When i had it, it didn't mix very well without a blender. Might be better now. Tasted really good though, but it was too sweet for me. I think it had higher fat content but i honestly can't remember. I wasn't a fan of the powder but i like the RTD's.

My first experience with protein powders was Designer Whey in the late 90's. Back then, it was hard to mix without a blender, and didn't taste that great. I don't know if they still make powders now.

Can't go wrong with ON 100% Whey though. They have other varieties as well. I've been using this brand for the past 6-7 years off and on. I vouch for it.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Natural Whey Protein Vanilla Creme
    Tastes awful! Would not drink it plain if someone had a gun to my head. If you put the right stuff in, you can't taste the flavor of the protein powder at all, thank god. I wanted something as natural as possible though since I'm breastfeeding.
    Best with (IMO): Strawberries and peanut butter, or strawberries and a Jell-O Double Chocolate sugar free pudding pack (tastes like a chocolate covered strawberry, yummm)
    Protein Type: Protein Blend (Whey Protein, Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate)
    Price:$12.72 (I have Amazon Mom, plus a subscribe and save discount, if you don't have those, it's $15.90) per 1.6 lbs.
    Purchased: Amazon.com
    Serving Size: 1 scoop (33g), Calories: 130, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 6g, Protein: 23g
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK AVOID Holland and Barratts Precision whey protein, its awful! leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste.

I'm still looking for a good one in the UK (I want to avoid the hefty postage costs!)

A personal trainer at my gym said he reckons they're full of chemicals and not much good for you? I'm still open minded as lots of people on here seem to have success with them.

I really welcome this review.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Thank you for the additions!
  • shape_up_1969
    Options
    I've recently started using protein powder supplements and really appreciated these reviews. I was having trouble getting enough protein in my diet without them. Now that I'm getting more protein, I've also noticed my recovery time is shorter too.

I tried Body Fortress Whey Protein (Chocolate Peanut) and Ultimate Nutrition Wheat Protein Isolate. They are both good. I prefer Body Fortress, but Ultimate Nutrition is a better value. It's the cheapest per gram of protein I could find. Plus it has less calories per gram of protein (so it's purer). But the Ultimate Nutrition Protein Isolate is made from wheat, which gives it a grainier texture than the whey protein. It's definitely better shaken, not stirred. I got vanilla Creme, and I find the flavor good. I've heard it's better with milk, but since I've still got a few pounds to loose, I just have it with cold water.
  • julialdr
    julialdr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to power through 2lbs of Iso Sensation 93 Chocolate Fudge. It has a horribly fake, super sweet taste and I find I have to drink it in one gulp and then have something else on hand to get rid of the aftertaste. I would not recommend.
    Taste - Horrible
    Protein : Whey isolate
    Nutrition: Cals - 130 Protein - 30g Carbs - 1g
    Cost - about $35 for 2lbs

The other one I use regularly is Vital Protein Pea Protein Isolate. I have tried the unflavored (for use in cooking) and the Vanilla (which I use in shakes). The Vanilla has a pretty decent flavour and isn't too sweet. They are 100% organic and highly bioavailable and alkaline. Pretty pricey though.
    Taste: not bad
    Protein: GoldenPea Isolate
    Nutrition: Cals - 90 Protein - 21g Carbs - 0.2g
    Cost: $40 for 500g (very expensive)
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I start by looking for ones without artificial sweeteners then go get a natural protein powder.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I'm currently trying to power through 2lbs of Iso Sensation 93 Chocolate Fudge. It has a horribly fake, super sweet taste and I find I have to drink it in one gulp and then have something else on hand to get rid of the aftertaste. I would not recommend.
    Taste - Horrible
    Protein : Whey isolate
    Nutrition: Cals - 130 Protein - 30g Carbs - 1g
    Cost - about $35 for 2lbs

The other one I use regularly is Vital Protein Pea Protein Isolate. I have tried the unflavored (for use in cooking) and the Vanilla (which I use in shakes). The Vanilla has a pretty decent flavour and isn't too sweet. They are 100% organic and highly bioavailable and alkaline. Pretty pricey though.
    Taste: not bad
    Protein: GoldenPea Isolate
    Nutrition: Cals - 90 Protein - 21g Carbs - 0.2g
    Cost: $40 for 500g (very expensive)

Thanks! Try the fudge with cold brewed coffee (I stick a cup in the fridge after I brew it in the morning) or a scoop of instant coffee. It really helps with the sweetness and flavor though it probably won't mask the aftertaste.
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK AVOID Holland and Barratts Precision whey protein, its awful! leaves a nasty chemical aftertaste.

I'm still looking for a good one in the UK (I want to avoid the hefty postage costs!)

A personal trainer at my gym said he reckons they're full of chemicals and not much good for you? I'm still open minded as lots of people on here seem to have success with them.

I really welcome this review.

I'm just using up the Cookies and Cream flavour of the Holland and Barratt Precision range. I don't think it tastes that chemically (not sure which flavours you tried) but it doesnt really taste like cookies and cream either. I've ordered a couple from MyProteinWorks as it seems to have good reviews online, excited for them to arrive!
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Fortress Chocolate and I like it. I'll keep my eye out for the Chocolate Peanutbutter looks like I could handle that one too.

Currently I'm using the Body Fortress Chocolate and GNC Pro Performance Cookies and Cream.

My daughter wanted to try the cookies and cream formula and I like it, not too over sweet and does have a "cookie" flavor to it..

NI:
    Cal 130, Total fat 2g, Carb 5 g, Fiber 0g, Protein 24g

I'm lactose intolerant so I mix mine with water, she's not and uses milk. We're both happy with it.

GNC can be very pricey!!! I have an app on my iPhone called snipsnap and usually can get at least $10 off coupon.

I've also got their Total Lean, Lean Shake 25 in Key Lime. This is more of a meal replacement but it's 200 calories, so for me it could be an "in addition to" a lunch for me. I have a lot of calories and notice that If I don't reach them, I don't lose. So I was thinking a shake with some lean meat and a veggie.

The NI for it:
    Cal 200, Fat 3g, Carb 19g, Fiber 9g, Protein 25g

I'll report back when I try it. Lunch for some reason is my hardest meal so it'll be soon.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk. 3 lb. bag $27.00 at BJ's.
    The only flavors at BJ's are chocolate and vanilla creme; I have both and like both of them.
    Chocolate is great in milk or water.
    I'm not too crazy about the vanilla in water but it rules in milk. It is fantastic in water with orange Gatorade powder.
    2 scoops Vanilla Creme Muscle Milk
    1/3 scoop orange Gatorade powder
    10 ozs very cold water
    shake yo thang
    yum

Info per 1 scoop: protein 16g, cal 150, fat 6g, carbs 9. Not the highest protein profile but I'm not complaining for $27.00/3 lbs.
    Protein: Calcium & Sodium Caseinates, Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, and Micellar Casein.

Vanilla Body Fortress was good until they changed the formula. Radioactive waste aftertaste is not New & Improved in my opinion.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Shake yo thing lol
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Health Ultimate Whey Protein because it works out £17.50 per 77 servings if you buy 4 in bulk (£71) 21grams of protein and not a lot else, from discountsupplements, my favourite one is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey but £47 per 77 servings is ridiculous hence why I stopped buying it.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I'm still looking for a good one in the UK (I want to avoid the hefty postage

Bulkpowders.co.uk, myprotein.com, Theproteinwork.com